Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar

interesting take on inflation

From Peter Schiff on his twitter feed: What few people understand is that it's the low #inflation we've enjoyed since the 2008 financial crisis that was transitory. That transitory period of low inflation is over. The transition to high inflation is just getting started. It's about to get much worse. Get use to it.

He's a big time gold bug and has been wrong on many things for many years. But what if he's right this time?
    Thanos was the hero

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    From Peter Schiff on his twitter feed: What few people understand is that it's the low #inflation we've enjoyed since the 2008 financial crisis that was transitory. That transitory period of low inflation is over. The transition to high inflation is just getting started. It's about to get much worse. Get use to it.

He's a big time gold bug and has been wrong on many things for many years. But what if he's right this time?
    Lots of very smart people come down on opposite sides of the inflation argument. I have added some stocks over the past year that supposedly will fare well in an inflationary environment but I am also still holding some growth stocks a nd mega cap stocks because nobody really knows. I do think Powell could be wrong though but we will see. I'm not sure what his definition of persistent is.

3. Member
    High inflation in certain items are transitory because of supply issues. Inflation on Jack in the Box tacos is not. Used to be .99 cents for 2 tacos a few months ago. Now 1.49. That's a nasty price increase and it's across the board in all of fast food. That price increase is due to businesses needing to pay higher wages to keep staff and higher food costs. That inflation ain't going away.
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by apenland01 View Post
    High inflation in certain items are transitory because of supply issues. Inflation on Jack in the Box tacos is not. Used to be .99 cents for 2 tacos a few months ago. Now 1.49. That's a nasty price increase and it's across the board in all of fast food. That price increase is due to businesses needing to pay higher wages to keep staff and higher food costs. That inflation ain't going away.
    I saw a headline today that they may use the rise in Covid as the basis to further extend unemployment benefits. Another headline stated the chip shortage may not abate until 2023. I have no idea if this will be the case but these headlines are likely going to have an effect on the market if they continue.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post

Even a broken clock is right two times a day. :)

I've given up on any hope that the country gets the budget under control. We have more than doubled the national debt in the last 15 years. I'm seriously worried for our future, my kids and grand kids.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mastergun View Post
    Even a broken clock is right two times a day. :)

I've given up on any hope that the country gets the budget under control. We have more than doubled the national debt in the last 15 years. I'm seriously worried for our future, my kids and grand kids.
    Exactly, been going down this slippery slope since we went off the Gold Standard in the early 1970's. It has only become worse.

7. idbefishing
    Well, I don’t mean to sound political in any way but. If the government doesn’t stop giving out money to people that don’t work, increasing benefits, raising minimum wage, etc. Despite what Powell has been saying, I don’t think it gonna get better. With that said, I still ain’t buying gold

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idbefishing View Post
    Well, I don’t mean to sound political in any way but. If the government doesn’t stop giving out money to people that don’t work, increasing benefits, raising minimum wage, etc. Despite what Powell has been saying, I don’t think it gonna get better. With that said, I still ain’t buying gold
    Buy silver! I have been really paying attention to these Rosland Capital commercials.