Anyone running a 179 trx?

Planning to buy later this year and Im looking at a few different boats. I like the standard equipment list and size of the 179. So if anyone has one that can tell me what they like or dont like about the boat, that would be great.
    2005 Tracker PT175
    1987 Ranger 373V Bassmasters Classic

2. Member
    I had a 2016 179, it was a really good boat. It had a decent amount of storage, it took rough water fairly well for a 1200 pound hull. It performed good with the 115 merc. I didn't like how close the front pedestal mount was to the trolling motor pedal. I had it for 4 years with no problems.

3. Member
    When I was looking to buy a new boat a guy I knew let me test his 179. What I found was the hull handled the waves decently but you definitely felt them, it fished like a bigger boat, thw 115 pro xs did a great job pushing the boat around and it had plenty of storage space. The downsides were that when I put 2 people in the boat and filled the livewell you definitely could feel it.

My determination was that if I fished mostly small local lakes or stayed in the bays on larger lakes and mostly fished alone it would be about perfect. However, I often have both of my nearly grown kids in the boat and fish KY Lake a lot so I opted for the 189 with a 150. I do wish I waited another year and got one with the 175 though

4. Member
    I had one for a year. The boat handles well and has a nice ride. Expect 48-50 mph. If it was rated for a 150 it would be perfect but the 115 does a nice job on it. There wasn’t anything I didn’t like about the boat I just wanted more speed and moved to a 18 TRX with a 200.
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2022 Mercury 225 4s 3B133405

5. You tube@ Rix Fishing Fix
    In October I will have had my 179 for 3 years. I am not brand loyal. I got a Triton because it was an awesome deal on a boat I had on my list of possible rigs. I came out of a Ranger tin rig and was going to get another tin when I found this Triton 179 TRX. I have had 3 Rangers a Tracker a Hydra Sport and they have all been solid boats. I had read about Tritons quality issues but in my experiences with bass boats everyone - every brand at times have quality issues. This boat so far has been awesome. No tin rig I looked at had a livewell system and size comparable to this boat. I fish ABA and BFLS out of this boat and for an 18'6" boat it fishes much bigger. I'm sure by now most folks know this is the old TR 186 hull with 200 pounds shaved off. As for the 115 I have the Merc 115 Pro XS with command thrust. Just me alone in cool water temps I have had it up to 53 mph gps speed. Im sure the TR 186 moved well with a 150!
    With a co angler his gear and full livewells and gas tank yes its slow out of the hole BUT it gets up on plane and cruises at 40-45 with ease, I have had a few co's tell me they are surprised by the ride of the boat in rougher water. I have always thought how the boat is driven has a lot to do with the ride but that's just me. Storage is adequate and its an easy rig to tow. This boat maneuvers tight quarters very well( in between docks, narrow coves etc..) I have experienced none of the quality issues so far in this boat that others have mentioned hopefully that continues. If Triton is still building quality boats in the future its a good chance the 189 Trx could be my next rig. Sorry for long post but I know at times its hard to get info on the smaller rigs. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by rixfishin; 07-17-2021 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Spelling
    TYG-(Trust Your Gut!!)

6. Member
    bought my 179trx new in 2016.....been more than happy with it.....came with everything i needed....i did a few mods....put some LED lighting in, put gas shocks in the compartments, remote drain plug, 4" atlas jack plate......has plenty of storage, a solid ride....handles great....like chata said, my only complaint is the front pedestal is too close to the pedal.....other than that,i'm more than happy with the 179trx....

7. Member
    I bought a new 2018 in 2020. Absolutely love the boat. Fastest I’ve gotten with it was 50.5 gps with full tank and gear. Fishing out of the boat is nice, but I love the fuel economy the boat and motor give. At 30mph cruise I’m getting 7.5-7.9 mpg according to VesselView. At wide open reading 4.5mph. My only grip that I recently discovered is the ice cooler is not draining. With a bore scope I found the hose leading to the bilge is block with expanding foam. So right now im sitting with several gallons of water in the hull. I discovered because my top speed went to 47 and lost 350rpm. Will not get on pad now.

8. Member
    I bought mine as a temporary deal after got a offer on my Ranger I couldn't refuse. I figured I'd run it for a year and turn it because got a really good deal on from a older gentleman that had to stop fishing.
    Coming out of more powerful Rangers and a Champion I had some doubts but I really like it. It runs about 50 and as was said it cruises at 40 great. I love the way it handles on the trolling motor and personally I think it's good as my ranger. I'm a river rat and it gets behind and around docks great. I noticed gas at the Marina on Table Rock where I keep it was 3.65 yesterday so that 115 looks good at times.
    As kind of a cool side note my boat was the 179 Triton used in the 2015 dealer brochure . I've always been impressed with the fit and finish.

9. Member
    I can confirm what most have already said on this thread. If you're running the Merc 115 Pro XS, expect 50mph tops on a good day. (Obviously varies by the amount of weight in the boat, gas in the tank, water in the live well, etc. etc.) The boat can struggle to come out of the hole quickly depending on the amount of weight/gas/water in the boat as well. Though slow to accelerate, I have no issues maintaining 45+ mph in these situations. When fishing by myself, I have no issues with the hole shot. Fuel economy is great. Boat has plenty of storage despite it being a "smaller" boat. Fits in my garage nicely and tows easily. Yes, the front pedestal seat is way too close to the trolling motor foot pedal. For that reason, I never use my front seat, but I wish I could at times. Overall, I'd say it's a great boat for the price point and a great entry level boat if you're looking for a fiberglass boat with a limited budget.