Jig weight change.

At what point to you go from a 1/2oz football head jig to a 3/4oz set up? Wind,specific water depth?

2. Member
    Wind, depth and water current are all factors for me.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chisco View Post
    Wind, depth and water current are all factors for me.
    May I ask how deep your fishing when you go to 3/4oz?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggerjake View Post
    May I ask how deep your fishing when you go to 3/4oz?
    if no wind and no current….25 ft or so.

5. Member
    You might also want to weigh your jigs. Most out there don't weigh what the package says. They are buying the cheapest lead they can get and it has a lot of fillers in it. Fillers don't weigh as much as lead. Id say go to the heavier head if your fishing it faster, and cant keep contact with the bottom.As long as your feeling the bottom stay with the lighter weight.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brushsjigs View Post
    You might also want to weigh your jigs. Most out there don't weigh what the package says. They are buying the cheapest lead they can get and it has a lot of fillers in it. Fillers don't weigh as much as lead. Id say go to the heavier head if your fishing it faster, and cant keep contact with the bottom.As long as your feeling the bottom stay with the lighter weight.
    Thanks. Will do. I use mostly Bass Union Jigs ( shameless plug). I just assumed since he pours his own they are legit weights. I’m also going to straight fluorocarbon as I’ve read using braid with a leader can actually lift the jig off the bottom as well.

7. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I rarely use anything but a 3/4 oz or 1 oz football head but will sometimes put a 1/2 oz one on a rod that can't handle a heavier jig and I'm probably not any deeper than 8-10 ft and there's not a lot of current.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    I rarely use anything but a 3/4 oz or 1 oz football head but will sometimes put a 1/2 oz one on a rod that can't handle a heavier jig and I'm probably not any deeper than 8-10 ft and there's not a lot of current.
    May I ask what rod you are throwing them on?

9. Member
    Around here when it get bad tough i usually have to drop down to a 3/8 to get a slow fall to get bit. I usually throw 1/2 oz, but sometimes the only way to get bit on the jig is falling slower. 40 to 50 feet of water it's slow, but does work a lot when nothing else does.