Thread: 05 250 Verado

05 250 Verado

I have a 2005 Ranger Z21 with a 2005 250 Verado, serial number 1B205753, and I'm not sure I'm getting optimal performance out of. I am running a 25p fury 4 and max RPMs is around 5700. Is this what I should be hitting? I also feel like the front of the boat doesn't lift quite like it should to get top performance. It almost seems like i should be able to trim up a little higher on plane but it's maxed out.

Appreciate any advise! Thanks.
    2005 Ranger Z21
    2005 Mercury Verado 250

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That engine needs to be up in the 6100-6200 RPM range to make it's peak output.

On that particular hull, you're probably going to find that a 23P Fury 3 does quite well as an all-around prop.

Another good performer is the Bravo-1 FS (probably in the 25-26P Range).

Has this rig ever attained 6100 RPM's, since you've owned it, including (but most importantly) with the current 25P Fury-4?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    No not that I am aware of. The highest that I have paid attention to when I tested a few props was 5880 with a tempest 3 blade 26p and it reached 66MPH. The Fury 4 was 5780 but approx 1MPH faster and better hole shot. Not sure if it changes anything, but the motor has also had a new power head a year and half ago that has approx. 50-60 hours on it now. All the RPMS are read off of the smartcraft gauge as well.

I do seem to remember turning more RPMS(the boat was about 4-5MPH faster) when i had a trim sensor replaced 3 years ago and the dealer set the trim limits a little higher, but after the computer turned off each time the trim would reset to what he called "factory".
    2005 Ranger Z21
    2005 Mercury Verado 250

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    May not have been following the "save" instructions (requires keying off, then placing in Reverse-WOT until system resets). And if you have a hotfoot, that's shifter in reverse, HOTFOOT to WOT.

Easy to miss for someone not real used to the setup.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    I will have to make sure this procedure was followed. I have a hotfoot and you can control the throttle with the shifter as well so I suppose it wouldn't matter which one is used to get to WOT.

Are there any set in stone trim limits that i should see on the smartcraft gauge or will it vary based on the boat/motor itself?
    2005 Ranger Z21
    2005 Mercury Verado 250

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Smartcraft display of trim is more of a soft/lateral display. You can user-adapt the GAUGE to the trim sender through the trim calibration sequence within the instrument.

This is entirely separate from the Trailer Limit and Trim Limit (which are set in the PCM via the G3 Diagnostic System).