Tracker Pro Guide V16 on Cape Fear?

I have a tracker pro guide v16. Is it suitable for use on the Cape Fear? Which portions of the Cape Fear? I'm in Fayetteville. I assume it would be OK to use on the southern end of the river, near Roan Island where the Cape Fear and Black Rivers meet up, but how about north of that? In the Fayetteville area I see log jams when driving over river bridges. I understand only one of the locks is working and it is by appointment only, so it's only navigable a section at a time. I've been cruising on the ICW and Waccamaw River around Myrtle/Conway/Georgetown in SC, but assume the Cape Fear is nothing like that. Any thoughts or advice? Thanks.

I had a FM161 Sea Nymph that I ran everywhere around Wilmington and the Cape Fear. Make sure you have you trailer bunks covered with Slip Sticks or something similar to separate the hull from the carpet on the bunks. Rinse boat and flush motor if used below Wilmington.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

3. Member
    Mechanic Bob, what are slip sticks, I'm assuming you don't want aluminum boat to rest on saltwater soaked bunks?

4. Banned
    "Bunk slicks", slick sticks, etc,etc several options out there. When i replaced the carpet on my bunk boards on my boat trailer a couple people recommended i go with this option. Your boat will glide right onto your trailer and off so much easier. I could not see the benefit was worth the high investment cost of securing them so i stayed with carpet. You can google it.

Benefit is to keep the Aluminum Hull off the Salt soaked carpet or you will get pitting in you aluminum hull. dwmgg17 if you don't expose your aluminum hull to salt water or Brackish water, than you don't need them, but if you do and you don't have them, you are just buying time.
    Cape Fear below the Memorial Bridge is considered Brackish water. But I would say since they deepened the River, 20 plus years ago, the salt goes much farther up steam on the NE Cape Fear and Cape Fear. (That is why a lot of Cypress Trees have died up river of downtown Wilmington.) Also Sutton Lake had an excellent population of Flounder a few years back before Duke Energy starting to Clean the water. Too clean in my opinion.
    2019 RT 198P
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

6. Member
    Bob, thanks for the great info. I may try the ramp at lock 1. My father-in-law's buddy uses the ramp at the paper mill, not sure if I can.

7. Banned
    10-4 there Bob. I was doing my 521vx Ranger trailer when it was recomended to me. Did not know about the aluminum boat deal but i can share that with those that do.

If you do install the "Slip Sticks" DO NOT UNHOOK YOUR WINCH STRAP until you want it launched!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    When you unhook you strap, that is where your boat will land. Takes about 4 to 6 months of usage before there is some drag to the sticks.
    2019 RT 198P
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest