Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cranking Battery for electronics?

Hello,

Looking for some recommendations on a really good cranking battery, I am currently running a Optima D31 blue top but looking for something maybe with more CCA and reserves.

I am using my main cranking battery to power most of my electronics including (2) Carbon 9’s at the console and (1) Live 12 at the bow plus everything else like live wells etc.

motor is a 2002 merc 200hp EFI.

I completely re wired up sizing the AWG power running to each electronic also adding in a fuse block and it is much better, actually works just fine now but I do see my voltage during an engine crank drop below 11v and I’ve heard a lot of people mention that the Optima D31 are good for TM batteries but there are much better cranking batteries with more CCA and reserves.

I have absolutely no space to add an extra battery so that’s out so I figure I might as well just replace with a better one for the job.

Thanks for any recommendations on a new Crank battery guys.

2. Member
    I guess the other things I should mention are, I have a MK precision 3 bank 10 amp charger and I really don’t have much more space for the battery replacing the Optima D31 to be much larger dimension wise, weight wise would be ok but I’m really tight on space as it sits just behind my oil reservoir very hard to get to. I believe I can individually select the type of battery to charge on the MK charger.

3. Member
    The x2Power AGMs from Batteries Plus are good batteries. Check this one: https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...1m/sli31agmdpm

4. Member
    I have a Diehard group 31 1000 CCA Commercial battery and it will run my graphs, power pole, live well pumps, and LED lights at night for hours and still crank the motor no problem. https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...p30/11968148-P

5. Member
    You should read the post in the Merc forum about recommended batteries. I recently purchased the X2 from Batteries plus Bulbs and it is a complete beast. Also provides all the cranking power needed for a Merc. Here is the link:

https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...1m/sli31agmdpm
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

6. Member
    Thank you guys, I will go with the X2.

Wouu hi LSC one of you guys happen to have a link to a tray that will work with it well?

Thanks

7. Member
    TH-Marine group 31 tray is available from Amazon or any other marine retailer. Possibly even some of the site sponsors have them.

NoCAL
    2B112175

8. Banned

9. Member
    I run the X2 AGM from batteries+, group 31 and it does a great job. Extremely heavy though....

10. Member
    +1. It’s like 85 lbs! Had to get help to drop it into place
    2B112175

11. Member
    Does your 200 EFI have a stator charging system? You are only supposed to use regular lead acid batteries with those if so.

12. Member
    Honestly I’m not too sure, it not original to the boat it is a 2002 200hp EFI, I will look into it. I know it has an alternator. Thankxx so for the heads up.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joeim8 View Post
    Honestly I’m not too sure, it not original to the boat it is a 2002 200hp EFI, I will look into it. I know it has an alternator. Thankxx so for the heads up.
    Your fine using an AGM if it has an alternator.

14. Member
    Agm will work just fine. I ordered a lithium to try. All reports of folks running one I bought has been great. With a 31 agm all my stuff running, voltage down to 10.7 after about 4 hours, had to do something myself
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

15. Member
    Thanks all.

Are there any lighter options than the X2 with similar specs. As I mentioned I’m currently running an optima d31 and looks like there is about a 30# difference.

Or is the weight difference just something I have to deal with if I want the extra CCA and reserves?

16. Member
    The really good ones with the CCA and RC that you need are going to be expensive and heavy. Just the nature of the game
    2B112175

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joeim8 View Post
    Thanks all.

Are there any lighter options than the X2 with similar specs. As I mentioned I’m currently running an optima d31 and looks like there is about a 30# difference.

Or is the weight difference just something I have to deal with if I want the extra CCA and reserves?
    The one I posted is only 63lbs but it's not an AGM. You can get a Duracell group 31 AGM from Sams that weights about the same.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DewRonInc View Post
    Agm will work just fine. I ordered a lithium to try. All reports of folks running one I bought has been great. With a 31 agm all my stuff running, voltage down to 10.7 after about 4 hours, had to do something myself
    I did the same thing. I have an '06 Merc 200hp and ran a Optima Bluetop 31 alone on the motor and another one just for the electronics. I recently switched to all lithium. The motor charges the lithium on the run. I run both the motor and the electronics on the lithium. After 2, 6-8 hour days of fishing, the starter/electronics battery was at 92% and the trolling motor batteries (lithium) were at 84%. I also use a MK PC 345 to charge the trolling motor batteries and a stand alone charger for the starter/electronics battery when necessary. Alos have no more wake washing over the back when coming off plane any longer.

19. Member
    You shouldn't use lithium batteries with Mercury outboards.

20. Member
    I have talked and researched to death that, it goes both ways. Mercury and yamaha havent done enough testing on new ones out to really give a educated answer to that. Early ones would spike, 16-20 volts and that goes through everything. I went with a ionic that swears their new tech will not do the spike thing. I was told thousands of mercury owners are proud owners of the battery I used with zero failures. I will see.....
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast