Thread: Lake George

Lake George

Heading to Lake George first week of August. New water for me. Staying on Dunham Bay. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Read a few places using hair jigs and jerk baits. I saw on the upper right arm some islands that seem to attract me. Thanks in advance. Pete

2. Member
    The creek there on Dunham Bay is full of quality largemouth.

3. Member
    It's a big lake with a lot of traffic. Plus fees. Good luck.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alumicraft145 View Post
    It's a big lake with a lot of traffic. Plus fees. Good luck.
    A lot big lakes are like that anymore. Plus I don't know many lakes that your not gonna pay some fee on.

5. Member
    Plenty of lakes you don’t have to pay or see the crowds like George.. There’s more free ramps than there are private/pay ramps and I can’t think of a time just fun fishing I’ve ever went to a pay ramp.. What he’s getting at is the cost, it’s not $10-$20 to launch.. it’s more like $40-$60 a day to launch on lake George. It’s one of the busiest places in the state just like Great Sacandaga, it’s where all the rich out of state and nyc folks go to play. My neighbor used to own a business storing and launching boats on lake George. He said there was never an upstate/cny address (because people out this way can’t afford it). All were Albany south to NYC. Big money brings in big attitudes, meaning they don’t like non residents on there. In the last 10 years almost every public ramp was bought up. I now only know of 2 on the lake.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

6. Member
    Most BIG lakes don't have many free launches anymore.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot17 View Post
    Most BIG lakes don't have many free launches anymore.
    Depends on where you are. Basically every big lake in NY has a free launch. I can’t think of a big lake that doesn’t have some free launch site available. I also avoid the popular big lakes as much as possible. Too many other lakes in NY that are a lot better where you don’t have to deal with crowds.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    Depends on where you are. Basically every big lake in NY has a free launch. I can’t think of a big lake that doesn’t have some free launch site available. I also avoid the popular big lakes as much as possible. Too many other lakes in NY that are a lot better where you don’t have to deal with crowds.
    There are some, most are pay. Just talking about the bigger size waters like George.

9. Member
    Last time I went to Lake George, I found a motel, found out the price of the ramp after a boat check, but after I found out the ramp opens at 8 everyday, I canceled my hotel and left for Lake Champlain. That was the ramp up on the north end and I did not want to spend the next day looking for a ramp which had normal hours as I was going to trailer it everyday. Lake George is beautiful, but they nickel and dime you for everything.

10. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    mortgage your house to launch , plan for a lengthy detailed total BS boat inspection, and remember the speed limit. Too many other way better bodies of water in NY to deal w Lake George BS.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KandKKustomz View Post
    mortgage your house to launch , plan for a lengthy detailed total BS boat inspection, and remember the speed limit. Too many other way better bodies of water in NY to deal w Lake George BS.
    I live 30 minutes from Lake George, and sadly agree with this statement. Haven't put my boat on that lake in years. To the OP, you're better off traveling a little bit north and fishing Champlain. Get off exit 28 of I-87 and head to Ticonderoga. There's a free launch there, or keep heading north from Ti village and there is Crowne Point, Port Henry, Westport. All free state launches and the fishing is great. West of Lake George there are dozens of lakes, all with free state boat launches and a lot less hassle.

12. Member
    The problem is lake George has some amazing bass fishing. Always wanted to go camping on the islands. Camping at Rogers rock is an option. The town of Hague has a few options. Gotta pay the lake fee plus get gang raped when your boat is inspected. I'm gonna put lake George on my list for a future visit. Sometimes you gotta face the devil, instead of run. My name's Johnny and it may be a sin...
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

13. Member
    Last time I was there it took me forever just to pass inspection and get my boat in the lake.... Best part is my Triton was brand new, literally had never been on the water. I was grilled on everything and had two people walking around my brand new rig. This was 5 yrs ago or so, no clue what the protocols are today. Don't care how good the fishing is - lots of gorgeous lakes in the Adirondacks loaded with fish.

14. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFan9 View Post
    Last time I was there it took me forever just to pass inspection and get my boat in the lake.... Best part is my Triton was brand new, literally had never been on the water. I was grilled on everything and had two people walking around my brand new rig. This was 5 yrs ago or so, no clue what the protocols are today. Don't care how good the fishing is - lots of gorgeous lakes in the Adirondacks loaded with fish.
    my buddy had the same deal Brand new Phoenix 721 pro Xp took 2 guys 30 min to inspect a never on the water brand new boat.. why i will never go to Lake George. They can have there Rich playground with too many playground rules that take the fun out of it, I rather play on any other playground in New York.

15. Member
    I live 10 min from lake George beach launch. Its $10 for the day. They open the gate at 7am. As long as your boat looks clean and you dont have weeds all over the trailer they dont bother you. I can literally be in the water in 5 minutes