Breaking woodruff keys on flywheel???

<0G227945>

I’m new here. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Mercury 1995 125hp 2 stroke ELPTO 2+2 0G227945
    Mounted on a 1995 Nitro 170DC

I’ll try to make this as short as possible. My motor was shutting off under any load faster than forward idle in the water, ran perfect on muffs. Replaced just about everything fuel related and couldn’t find any leaks.

My trim gauge and fuel gauge stopped working also so I assumed electrical. I replaced the voltage regulator(rectifier), stator and a handful of burnt or corroded wires. Turned the key to accessory and trim gauge and gas gauge are functioning again. So I fixed something at least.

Put it in the water and it tries to start, then nothing! The starter is engaging but the flywheel isn’t spinning. I check and I have sheared the woodruff key. I go buy another one today and try to start it and the same thing happens.

i know i have the stator in correctly but I have never dealt with a flywheel and crankshaft before. I’m sure I’ve obviously done something wrong. I tightened the flywheel nut with an impact. I didn’t get it to exact torque specs (o know I know) but it’s tightened down where it’s secured and I can turn it and the crankshaft.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 07-16-2021 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Serial #

2. Member
    correct stator for your mtr sernumber ???? sound like you have something locking up in mtr or gearcase
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    ^^^^^

What part number was the stator you installed (and what is your engine's serial number)?

IMPORTANT: What type of puller (exactly) did you use to remove the flywheel when you changed the stator?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    I had 3 stickers on the motor. I tried to upload a photo but the file is too large.
    The one that’s says Tracker-Merc 125 ELPTO-1995 is showing
    1125412RT

Another says G/HSG ASY-ME/MA/FO 100-125 L and showing
    G443471317 and 14081A36

Last one says GRN.P/H ASY-ME/MA 100/115/125 and showing
    M450041317 and 818899A14

The stator model I purchased is Quicksilver part # 832075A21.

The stator seems to be the same one in hand, bolts up and the wires all matched up.

But I did notice that the trigger wasn’t retracting as easily back to idle when I tested it by hand before starting it up.

I appreciate the replies and help

5. Member
    I just found the original purchase receipt. It has a serial # of G227945.

6. Member
    I removed the flywheel with an Amazon part. Removal Tool 91-849154T1

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    May need to remove flywheel and stator again. Inspect for any loose magnets in flywheel (or broken/cracked magnets). Inspect hub of flywheel for any cracks or damage.

Verify stator orientation is correct, and that all retaining screws are in the correct holes, using the proper liquid loctite, and torqued precisely to specifications.

Check the trigger to make sure it is not being impinged upon, and that no debris, heavy/dried grease, etc. is present.

Normally this (stator) replacement is done with a Red Stator KIT (unless your engine has already been updated with a Red Stator Kit previously).

Once reassembled, leave the spark plugs OUT of the engine, and attempt to turn the flywheel CLOCKWISE (by hand). DO NOT use an impact.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Thanks. Yes it’s a red stator. The one that I removed was also a red one.

I broke down and took it to a trustworthy mechanic today. I’ll update the solution to help someone else out.

Dont lube the tapers on the crank of flywheel next time, Clean and dry, on critical fitting taper fits I apply a very small amount of very fine valve lapping compound. Be sure the threads on the shaft are far enough down the the nut does not run out of threads before it is clamped down, Such as washer missing if needed or to thin
    If flywheel was properly installed you could crank that motor with no key installed if a taper fit as I believe it is. Just sayin, dont try it though
    Think you may have two issues, on being the installation, the other something not allowing the crank to turn, If the flywheel was mounted correctly and motor locked it should have stalled the starter motor and not sheared the key
    Last edited by lpugh; 07-19-2021 at 08:36 AM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

10. Member
    +1 ^^^^^^
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................