Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

James River Question

Launching out of Osborne Landing how long does it take to get to Rt5 mouth of Chick? @ 50 mph. And can you run the two cut through spots when leaving Osborne or do you need to run the loops going down river? Thank You

2. Member
    You can run the “cuts”
    Never run it at 50 and it’s been a while. Turn on your gps and measure the distance

Never bin there before appreciate the reply.

Measuring on Google Earth it is about 46 miles
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    Give yourself about 40 minutes to be safe.

6. Member
    Being new, I'd recommend that you just follow the pack that is running to the same place. You will have plenty of company. Safest to run the channel. Bouys are well marked. Get in line, keep a safe distance. Watch the boat in front of you. He will give clues to floating debris. But watch his wake wash for large floater that he may stir up. Sometimes you may see a large peace of wood stand up or bob, that the guy in front of you just barely missed.

BTW. You can be very competative within just a couple miles of the launch. Especially since, by the time you get to the Chick, at 50mph, there will already be a boat sitting everywhere you want to fish. The river from Richmond to Hopewell has more "jetties/wing dams" than a man can fish in a week. Most of them have bass on them. Behind, in front, off the end. Wood, rock, shallow and deep. Moving water to bring food.

The Chick will be busy.

7. Member
    Chick will also have a tournament coming out of River Front Park ( rt5 ). So it will be very busy.
    Semper Fi

8. Procraft/Astro Boats Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    Being new, I'd recommend that you just follow the pack that is running to the same place. You will have plenty of company. Safest to run the channel. Bouys are well marked. Get in line, keep a safe distance. Watch the boat in front of you. He will give clues to floating debris. But watch his wake wash for large floater that he may stir up. Sometimes you may see a large peace of wood stand up or bob, that the guy in front of you just barely missed.

BTW. You can be very competative within just a couple miles of the launch. Especially since, by the time you get to the Chick, at 50mph, there will already be a boat sitting everywhere you want to fish. The river from Richmond to Hopewell has more "jetties/wing dams" than a man can fish in a week. Most of them have bass on them. Behind, in front, off the end. Wood, rock, shallow and deep. Moving water to bring food.

The Chick will be busy.

Come on Steve everyone knows you gotta run to the chick if you want to catch fish !
    John Woodward

2010 Nitro Z8

9. Member

The Chick will be busy.
    Fished a tourny up there years ago. I was fishing the wing dams and my Evinrude trolling motor steering cable broke. Had to fish the rest of the day sitting on the nose of my boat, drifting with current past those wing dams. Caught a lot of fish and did ok in the tourny. Might be a good alternative unless you know the chick very well.

10. Member
    46 miles at 50mph. Better give yourself an hour plus run time up the Chic

11. Member
    Is there a tournament this weekend too? Rt 5 or Osborne?

I see the one listed for the 24th. Who is fishing on the 31st?

Is there a tournament this weekend too? Rt 5 or Osborne?

I see the one listed for the 24th. Who is fishing on the 31st?
    I'm fishing on the 31st. I'll be there practicing on the 24th and the 30th.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Based on the number of tournaments out of Osborn, I would concentrate on retreads within 2 miles up and 2 miles down. Lot of wood on dead low tide. That’s just me.
    2010 BassCat Cougar
    2010 Mercury 250 ProXS
    Minn Kota 36V/112
    Lowrance HDS 12's
    Hydrowave

31st has a Region 8 open. predicting 80 to 100 boats out of rt 5. Just a heads up.
    Blazer 625/300xs

Quote Originally Posted by BlazerVA View Post
    31st has a Region 8 open. predicting 80 to 100 boats out of rt 5. Just a heads up.
    I see, that changes things likely will stay in the James.

16. Member
    July 31 BFL takeoff. The Race to the Chick!

Steve I thought I saw someone standing there on the dock taking a video during blastoff. You can see me go by at the 4:40 mark, you can actually see me look over at you.

Sweet video!
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

18. Member
    Haha - that’s me in the black Ranger starting at the 20:56 mark!
    Last edited by carolina_cowboy01; 08-10-2021 at 09:18 PM.

Don't mind my porpoise driving at slow speeds.... I was still in the break-in period of the new motor! I look like a rookie, ha!
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

I was boat #20 and we didn't get in the water until five minutes after the tournament start. Was in line at 4:50am and it took forever for 167 to launch. Didn't see my boat so I guess video started around 6:15am.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast