Where’d you come from and what ballistic you running? Opinions?

Just curious as I really like what Ballistic is doing so far, if you would, please share you experience

What boat did you run before?

What Ballistic did you buy?

Likes and dislikes? Things that surprised you?

Thanks guys
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

Prior boat was a 2018 Bass Cat Eyra w/Merc 250 Pro XS 2 stroke, dual 8' Blades, Dual 10' Helix 10's at console, Helix 10 DI @ bow, 112 MK Ultrex. Best top speed GPS 79.9 MPH. Prior boats were in reverse order: 2011 BCB Eyra 250 SHO, 2006 BCB Puma 225 Merc Pro XS, 2002 Ranger 518 200 Rude Ficht, 1996 Cajun 185, 150 Rude, 1994 Cajun 170, 90 Rude.

Current Ballistic 2020 204. I purchased Brian Dodge's 204. This was the first 204 built. Purchased with a new Merc. 250 Pro XS. Has Lowrance HDS 16 Live at console, HDS 12 Live at bow with Ghost TM 24 Vdc currently. I added dual 8' PP Blades. Currently only have 9 hours on the Merc and best top speed was 79.8 MPH on small lake and not fully broken in yet. Turning a Bravo 28.5 FS.

Seats are very comfortable.
    Love the colors!!!!
    Best bilge ever! Absolutely love the bilge! Super easy to access all pumps, batteries and tons of space even after install dual PP pumps.
    Step Cooler is huge! I actually use it as my day box. I use a small portable cooler for drinks and sandwiches. Have used it a a cooler and it helps a bag of ice all day in 80+ temps.
    Fishability. Love the way it fishes. Very responsive on the TM (even with on 24Vdc. My last three BCB's all and 36VDc TM's.
    Ghost Tm. Love the Ghost over the MK Ultrex. Easier to use and I programmed two to the quick use buttons for my PP Blades. Frees up deck space no PP remotes needed.
    Bow area. Love the fishing room on both sides to TM tray. Wasn't sure I'd like the TM tray position compared to BCB forward position I was used too for the past 14 years. Love it though no issues.
    Front Deck. Love the space between the rod lockers and gunnels. You can have 3 or 4 rods on deck and open the rod lockers with no worry of knocking rods over board.
    Hull lay up! Great Gell Coat and toughest hull I ever drill holes into! Fiberglass infusion is great. (BCB and Blazer hulls are also infused). This is very beneficial when working in bilge, rod lockers, bow area and under console, No fiberglass splinters.

Dislikes:
    Helm doesn't tilt. Console is very tight to get in and out of! I'm only 5'10", 195 lbs, Tilt helm should be standard. Once seated everything is fine.
    Trailer is very long.
    Trailer spare tire carrier sucks over all. It's in the wrong position so it drags over steep ramps and speed bumps. The J bolt to secure the spare is the worst. I drilled two 1/2" holes in the cross bars and bolted the spare in place. (Like BCB does)
    Trailer bunks were't line up properly. Had to adjust the center bunks to properly fit the hull and recapped the center bunks due to chines wearing carpet to boards. No hull damage thank god.
    Center step between seats. Not crazy about it. Though the padded area is easy on the knees when working in the bilge.
    No Jackplate gauge! The CZone (Lowrance interface doesn't support the gauge). Installed the Bob's gauge to left of steering column. Just enough room.
    CZone: It's cool but for the serious tournament angler. Too time consuming getting into the CZone prorgam to use Pump In, Recerc, Bilge pumps ect. Would be much easier it the console had switch panel like Bullet to Blazer. CZone is great is great to casual anglers. IMHO.

Warranty Issues:
    Sea Star helm leaked at shaft seal and leaked hydraulic fluid all over carpet under console. Sea Star replaced the helm but no the carpet. (Ordered Sea Deck to replace carpet, Installing next week.
    Dual Pro Battery Charger crapped out on bank. (Cranking battery of course). Covered under Dual Pro warranty. (Purchased new NOCO 10X3 charger. Have NOCO's to 14 years no issues. Dual Pro will be for sale when I get the replacement.
    Bilge pump was not working! It was cross connected to the port pump-in pump! (Don't ask how I discovered this). lol
    Front storage boxes don't open wide enough. Especially the rear box. Need to replace and reposition the lift support with a longer one! This is a PIA!!!!

Over all I love the boat. Would I buy another one? Yes!
    Last edited by PumaDave; 07-19-2021 at 05:51 PM.

3. Member
    2021 Ballistic .204, originally with a 250R TM lower and have since put a 300R on it. Lowrance 16 HDS live at the helm and 12 HDS live at the bow with ghost trolling motor. Mine was .204 number 4 I believe, its the red and black one. Before the .204 I had a blue .223 which I loved also. I really like the width of the front deck on the .204 at the nose and the lowrance unit being glassed in is one of my favorites. I actually like the Lowrance stuff better than the Garmin with the C-zone. We actually have a sidebar now so turning everything off and on is super simple as well as splash screens to match the boat. Since I purchased mine there is now an option for a NMEA keypad which would be pretty cool as well. Before owning my first Ballistic I had just about every Bullet model out there, 20XD, 21XD and then a 21SST. This boat is huge in comparison and in my opinion rides better. The .204 with 250R TM and a 27 Bravo 1 FS ran 82 with about 4 hours on it in the dead of summer. The boat has run 92 with the 300R SM and Max 5 ST 31 but I currently have a 29 Bravo 1 FS and it will run loaded in the upper 80's. My favorite thing about this boat with a 300R is the fact you can literally get the boat balanced out with trim and cruise at 78-82 and take your hands off the steering wheel. Every other high performance hull I have ever driven you are driving the $hit out of it. Both the .223 and the .204 could do this and I have personally done it multiple times. The other thing that really impresses me is the rough water handling of this boat. I have been on the lower end of Lake Guntersville on a weekend with wakeboard boats everywhere and quartered into a rogue wave, any other high performance boat I have driven would have been very squirrelly very quickly in that situation but the Ballistic sat down nice and straight which really impressed me. Bama Ballistic was riding with me when that happened and we were cruising about 80 and I truly believe that most other hulls would have caused us to take a swim. The first 5-6 times I went out in this boat I found something else that I liked. Literally the only thing I would have changed is I would have ordered it with power steering, other than that its the perfect setup for me and I would not change a thing. Ask anyone who owns one of these boats about the fit and finish is second to none. Jim does not let a boat leave that is not perfect. I also appreciate that its a small operation. Some have complained about the time it takes to get one of these or the need to update their website. Personally I don't care about any of that, Jim has answered the phone everytime I called and has gone above and beyond. My buddy Bama Ballistic on here literally ordered a new one after driving and fishing out of my .204 once. See bottom boats are not very different across the board as far as the design goes and Ballistic has not reinvented the wheel, they have however utilized different construction techniques to make them strong and light which equates to speed. Couple that with Jim's design and these are pretty tough to beat.

4. Member
    2021 .204
    250 ProXS
    27P Bravo 2 prop
    24v Ultrex

These boats are custom so you can do whatever you want with them. Do you want standard switches to go along with the czone? You can get them added. Jim at Ballistic will build them however you want them. I love mine. Does everything I need it too. All my boxes open as wide as any other boat I’ve had or been in. Triton, Nitro, Bullet.
    Best speed to fishability ratio on the market. I’ve had no warranty issues on the boat. Just the motor. Had to have a sensor replaced after the initial break-In and now I’ve had 2 bolts come out from somewhere. I heard them rattling around in the cowling so it’s in for service currently. Fiberglass work is beautiful. Seats are comfortable and I’m 5’10 200lbs and don’t find it hard to get in and out of the cockpit. I won’t ever be in another brand of boat. I love what ballistic is doing. I love the C-Zone but I kinda wish I added the touchpad as well even though I’m not a tournament fisherman.

Honest Dislikes. No factory cup holders. I added my own. No factory cleats. I added my own. This isn’t an issue. Jim will install anything you want but those are a couple things I didn’t think to add. Honestly don’t like the fact you have to pay for a cover. If you buy a 90k boat, I think it should come with a cover you can use while pulling the boat. Period. I added an aftermarket safety ladder. The sponsons are kinda long so adding one with poles might be an issue.

I don’t think you can go wrong with a Ballistic. I love that the entire boat is vacuum infused. I think the only other manufacturer doing that is Vexus and their boats are about 300lbs heavier.

5. Member
    I would have to agree on the trailer, and has been the deciding factor for now on why not to purchase a Ballistic at this time. Actually am going to hold out, hoping some changes will be made in the future. After having Bass Cat trailers, its very hard to even try and compare with other manufactures. If you haven't owned, one may not understand but if one has, you will know exactly what I'm talking about. When one spends a 100 grand for one of the very best boats on the market and then does not get the very best trailer to go with, its frustrating. If a boat manufacture does not build trailers in house, then seek out the trailer manufacturer that will go the extra mile and make that trailer 100% for your boat. When having things like bow stops and steps bolted on its just more of the same. If a customer prefers a different type of fender, option it out. If the spare will only go to the right or the left, find the manufacturer that will accommodate. This post is in know way whatso ever a bash towards Ballistic, this is a consumer who see's it this way and wants the best and believe am only getting half. A frustration I have always seen in the industry...

After having Bass Cat trailers, its very hard to even try and compare with other manufactures.

The Ballistic trailer is nice it just needs to have the spare tire carrier moved to where the BCB spare is. BCB makes a great trailer I just don't understand why they use crappy none waterproof connectors. I've had 3 BCB's over the past 14 years and all had to be rewired within 3 years. I also didn't care fo r the fiberglass fenders. Much prefer the steel fenders. (Personal preference). The BCB trailer is way over built!!

8. Member
    I was looking at BassCat but their trailers were a deal killer for me. Boats sit way too high, and have to back too far into water to launch. You get wet launching solo. And torsion bars give exponentially more problems than leaf springs. I like the way Ballistic trailers are built except for the spare tire.

9. Member
    I saw some pre release info on BassCat and they were mentioning enclosed trailer wiring (did not even know they had issues with corrosion). As a lurker, I just want to see more of the Ballistic boats around here. John, do you have one? We are close to each other. Thanks

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MengRanger View Post
    I saw some pre release info on BassCat and they were mentioning enclosed trailer wiring (did not even know they had issues with corrosion). As a lurker, I just want to see more of the Ballistic boats around here. John, do you have one? We are close to each other. Thanks
    No, I have a Stroker. And since I'm 68, I've been looking at selling and getting something significantly wider at the front, and be able to launch solo without having to get my feet wet.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MengRanger View Post

rodents are biggest issues with trailer wiring likely
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

12. Member
    Pumadave, you had me worried about the bunks . I'm probably build 10 or so and went under the boat and the boards are 3/4 to 1 inch from the strakes NOT chines. Unfortunately since your boat was #1, there's the risk of things that weren't perfect, but Ballistic stands behind all their builds and customers, so I wouldn't hesitate to call Jim.

Also, I have a tilt steering wheel, not sure why your build does not.

As for the Czone, I'm not sure if you saw my video of my boat where I assisted Ballistic in modernizing the Lowrance Czone interface making it much faster to access.(link here: ).
    Also, Ken Smith's video on the Great Bassboat Search of 2021:
    Give me a shout for more info if you like. All in all, it looks like you'd buy another one, so good to hear, I love mine!

Here's my input relating to the thread:
    I've owned Champions and 3 Rangers (2 Z520's)

Likes: best built boat, attention to detail, strength, ride, fishing stability. From my perspective, this is the best of all worlds for me: good fishing platform, great quality, and great performance (ride AND speed).
    Recommended Improvements:
    1. back storage compartment lip is 1/2" to narrow to enable removing Plano 3700's (standard width of most storage boxes) straight out of the compartment; 1/2" wider would allow maximized storage without having to remove other boxes to angle out your chosen box
    2. nice to haves: I love the clean lines but would love to have a tool holder around the step-up or console
    3. super clean bilge with tons of extra room on port and starboard sides; BUT wouldn't mind tie-downs being glassed i free-space areas to allow storage of tool box, props, etc
    4. I paid extra for the Vesselview Link, but all major boat brands have a way to monitor their engines (Mercmonitor, Vesselview, etc.); this should be standard
    5. Ice box to big; 20 pounds fills halfway, recommend keeping compartment/lid same size but adding more insulation (can't have enough in Texas )

Quote Originally Posted by PumaDave View Post
    Prior boat was a 2018 Bass Cat Eyra w/Merc 250 Pro XS 2 stroke, dual 8' Blades, Dual 10' Helix 10's at console, Helix 10 DI @ bow, 112 MK Ultrex. Best top speed GPS 79.9 MPH. Prior boats were in reverse order: 2011 BCB Eyra 250 SHO, 2006 BCB Puma 225 Merc Pro XS, 2002 Ranger 518 200 Rude Ficht, 1996 Cajun 185, 150 Rude, 1994 Cajun 170, 90 Rude.

Current Ballistic 2020 204. I purchased Brian Dodge's 204. This was the first 204 built. Purchased with a new Merc. 250 Pro XS. Has Lowrance HDS 16 Live at console, HDS 12 Live at bow with Ghost TM 24 Vdc currently. I added dual 8' PP Blades. Currently only have 9 hours on the Merc and best top speed was 79.8 MPH on small lake and not fully broken in yet. Turning a Bravo 28.5 FS.

Seats are very comfortable.
    Love the colors!!!!
    Best bilge ever! Absolutely love the bilge! Super easy to access all pumps, batteries and tons of space even after install dual PP pumps.
    Step Cooler is huge! I actually use it as my day box. I use a small portable cooler for drinks and sandwiches. Have used it a a cooler and it helps a bag of ice all day in 80+ temps.
    Fishability. Love the way it fishes. Very responsive on the TM (even with on 24Vdc. My last three BCB's all and 36VDc TM's.
    Ghost Tm. Love the Ghost over the MK Ultrex. Easier to use and I programmed two to the quick use buttons for my PP Blades. Frees up deck space no PP remotes needed.
    Bow area. Love the fishing room on both sides to TM tray. Wasn't sure I'd like the TM tray position compared to BCB forward position I was used too for the past 14 years. Love it though no issues.
    Front Deck. Love the space between the rod lockers and gunnels. You can have 3 or 4 rods on deck and open the rod lockers with no worry of knocking rods over board.
    Hull lay up! Great Gell Coat and toughest hull I ever drill holes into! Fiberglass infusion is great. (BCB and Blazer hulls are also infused). This is very beneficial when working in bilge, rod lockers, bow area and under console, No fiberglass splinters.

Dislikes:
    Helm doesn't tilt. Console is very tight to get in and out of! I'm only 5'10", 195 lbs, Tilt helm should be standard. Once seated everything is fine.
    Trailer is very long.
    Trailer spare tire carrier sucks over all. It's in the wrong position so it drags over steep ramps and speed bumps. The J bolt to secure the spare is the worst. I drilled two 1/2" holes in the cross bars and bolted the spare in place. (Like BCB does)
    Trailer bunks were't line up properly. Had to adjust the center bunks to properly fit the hull and recapped the center bunks due to chines wearing carpet to boards. No hull damage thank god.
    Center step between seats. Not crazy about it. Though the padded area is easy on the knees when working in the bilge.
    No Jackplate gauge! The CZone (Lowrance interface doesn't support the gauge). Installed the Bob's gauge to left of steering column. Just enough room.
    CZone: It's cool but for the serious tournament angler. Too time consuming getting into the CZone prorgam to use Pump In, Recerc, Bilge pumps ect. Would be much easier it the console had switch panel like Bullet to Blazer. CZone is great is great to casual anglers. IMHO.

Warranty Issues:
    Sea Star helm leaked at shaft seal and leaked hydraulic fluid all over carpet under console. Sea Star replaced the helm but no the carpet. (Ordered Sea Deck to replace carpet, Installing next week.
    Dual Pro Battery Charger crapped out on bank. (Cranking battery of course). Covered under Dual Pro warranty. (Purchased new NOCO 10X3 charger. Have NOCO's to 14 years no issues. Dual Pro will be for sale when I get the replacement.
    Bilge pump was not working! It was cross connected to the port pump-in pump! (Don't ask how I discovered this). lol
    Front storage boxes don't open wide enough. Especially the rear box. Need to replace and reposition the lift support with a longer one! This is a PIA!!!!

Over all I love the boat. Would I buy another one? Yes!
    .204 Ballistic 300R - Speed, Ride, Fishability!