Thread: Gatorbacks?

Gatorbacks?

It is time to replace the bunks on my Z20 trailer. I am looking into them and have a few questions for some of you guys who have them.

Regular boards or treated?

Ease of loading and unloading compared to carpet?

Will the boat hold on them or slip if it isn’t strapped down?

2. Member
    Ranger vs Nitro but same/same for the bunks

Treated boards are best and if possible go to the lumber yard and get direct bury rated

Use some deck stain and stain the bottom/sides black first on the boards, just looks better.

Loads and unloads much easier once they get water on them, I wouldn’t risk not having the safety chain on at least going in or out.

Great upgrade and on the second year, very pleased with mine. I both powerload and winch up depending on the ramp.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

3. Member
    Thanks for the info. I need to be able to load, not strap, and go up a steep ramp without any worries. So they may not be my best option.

4. Member
    The Gatorbak's I had on my previous boat could not be power loaded. The set I just put on my Z18 can so they must be more slick or something. I know I can load with little effort. I would not trust pulling out without hooking the strap. When I ordered the set for my Z18 a few months ago I was told they do not recommend using treated lumber. I was told to use a good grade of straight lumber and coat it heavily with Rustoleum oil based enamel paint, which I did.
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

The new XPs can be power loaded and that's the only way I load my boat. I normally do not strap when pulling out, of course situation often determines if I will strap b4 pulling out. They are a bit more sticky then carpet. So I practice dunking my boards on the trailer and pulling up before I load to help.

Feel free to contact (PM) me with my experience with them. They have been great for me. Also I did not use treated boards, I just used several coats of thompson's and let them dry a few days before installing the gatorbacks. I would suggest rustoleum oil based, because that comes in colors like gray or black, and that looks better as mentioned above.

They definitely solved my problem of short tows from the ramp and water in my garage. Amazing how much water the carpet holds.

I did the grey bunks with black screws looks kinda neat.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team