Skeg Work Around The Raleigh Area

Who does the best Skeg work aoround the Raleigh, Cary area fellas?

2. Member
    Anything fellas?

wish i was of help...
    only guy i know that can fix it is in VA...
    Robbie with Propeller Dynamics has done 2 of mine...and depending upon your needs, he even has some performance tweeks he can do.
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

4. Banned
    Got a piece of my missing also from tilt and trim switch problems 3 years ago. No noticeable effects that i can tell so i have not had it repaired/replaced so i am no help either.

5. Member
    Do you need it welded

6. Member
    WRT welding perhaps - leading edge looks like a school of tiny piranhas got after it - long story short I drug it over a limb / stump / something on the James that must have been covered in barnacles - I know all the performance shmormance it won't hurt anything arguments. My issue is I'm picky as crap and the boat is < month old and I want it still looking cherry (perfect edge / OEM paint match / etc.), hence the "best around" question.

7. Member
    Buy a stainless steel skeggard, gator guard.

8. Member
    It's the easiest and prettiest fix. I have been welding for 30 yrs. Aluminum , steel, and castings. The thing with welding is stray current. Don't let anyone tell you different. I used to have to extract broken ss broken off exhaust bolts in heads on under warranty caterpillar diesel motors , bolts broken off 1/2" in threated hole. Cat would not risk stray current from arching from bearing races and bearing rollers. So mechanic would pull head off engine. Then sent to head guy that would remove valves and springs, then brought to me in machine shop for special welding technique to remove broken bolts. Now there's some that say , hook ground close as u can to where welding is being done, no problem. If it was mine and still under warranty. I'd contact warranty dept. And ask if it's ok, that lower unit doesn't have to be gutted. Now keep in mind if arch does happen and lower unit comes apart, it my not happen under warranty, and if I does . They want know because of all the damage, but if they see weld repair??
    That being said I welded 5 nose cones on old motors last year, and inform customer of potential problem, most don't care on old stuff and haven't had a problem . Sorry so long but that's my 2 cents.

9. Member
    Six years ago I damaged the prop and skeg on a Yamaha SHO. Took it to Collins Boating and the sent the prop to Murphy’s in VA, but had the skeg repaired in a local shop. The skeg was bent and cracked, but came back looking new. My son is still running the boat and the lower unit has been problem free. You might give Collins a call and see if they’ll refer you to that shop. Worth a try.
    Larry