20hr service 250 proxs

I am going to do a 20 hr service myself before next weeks vacation, already changed the gear lube, it looked new still. Started to drain the oil from the crankcase, and it is NASTY! Brown looking and just not what i was expecting. Has anyone else noticed this? Does not smell like fuel, and not foamy or watery at all. I have about 18.5 hrs on it now.
    Also pulled the water strainer from the exhaust manifold and did find a couple very small pieces of vegetation in there.
    2B742662

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quite normal. Partially caused by detection dye used in the oil, partially due to the oil simply being dirty.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Excellent, thanks again, Don!

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Make sure you check out the post in the FAQ about Oil Level BEFORE filling the engine with oil.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Already been there, VERY helpful info!!!

6. Member
    I would recommend having a dealer do the first service.. Simply so they can plug it up to the computer and make sure all is/went well during break in and that everything is normal. I know it's a bit more expensive but for me it was peace of mind. It's only my recommendation, and I am no master mech... or even a layman! have fun on vacation!
    2021/ 200 hp 4 stroke pro xs
    2021 Triton TRX 18
    #3B051045

7. Member
    $340. But who’s counting