starting charcoal

OK guys ,,, once the briquets have started to catch fire in a weber kettle , are you supposed to put the top on with vents top and bottom fully open to get convention for the coals or leave top off until the coals are white .. please dont laugh

Quote Originally Posted by omykee View Post
    OK guys ,,, once the briquets have started to catch fire in a weber kettle , are you supposed to put the top on with vents top and bottom fully open to get convention for the coals or leave top off until the coals are white .. please dont laugh
    First of all get a charcoal chimney starter and some cubes. You can find these at Lowes hardware. Fill the chimney with charcoal and place the cubes under it. Light the cubes and in twenty minutes you'll have a good fire. Have the bottom vents on the grill fully open. Dump the burning coals in the grill and spread them out but leave an area without coals to leave you a cool zone to move your food. Place top grill on on cover with the top with the vent open.
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

3. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    I always left the top off until the coals turn white. Sometimes a little sooner depending on time.
    Thanos was the hero

4. Moderator
    On my WSM i'll fill charcoal ring and then push it to the sides like a birds nest. When the chimney stater heats I pour the coals in the center. Let it run wide open for a few then start closing the vents. Once I get to temp i'll add meat and adjust vents as I go. I don't use the temp gauge on the lid but use a separate temp probe.

5. Member
    Light, white and glowing, scrape the grate, then cover.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets