Question Removing Mercury 90HP to install Power Pole Dual M to S Adapter Plate Kit

I previously posted this in another engine's thread before properly reading the forum rules.

I want to mount dual power poles (currently micros from my old boat) to my 2016 Tracker Pro Guide V16 with a Mercury 90HP SN 2B761685. I know, since they are micros, I could clamp them to the transom (which I may end up doing anyway) but want to explore all options as I will lose about a foot of useable depth if I clamp them. I may also upgrade to normal poles in the future.

From my understanding of Mercury's TB, I am not supposed to install a PP adapter between the engine mount and transom, but I can install a side-mount adapter plate to a jack plate, or to the
    Dual Side-Mount Adapters For Mercury Outboards (power-pole.com) since the adapter plate bolts to the transom and the engine bolts to the adapter plates.

I've just ordered a service manual for the engine, as I just bought the boat on Saturday. In the meantime, what do I need to support the engine while I install the adapter plate? I can rent an engine hoist locally, or may buy a Harbor freight engine hoist since I'm sure I'll find plenty of other uses for it. I also understand that I need a lifting eye. Are the various 1.5" lifting eyes I see for sale all the same? Is there a specific part number that would work for this engine? (I could not figure out how to find it when I searched by SN on the mercury parts site). Will this <EDIT- See Announcements> work? Are there other recommendations? Will the fly wheel have to be removed to install the lifting eye?

Thank you for your assistance.

John
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 07-13-2021 at 04:26 PM.

2. Member
    Engine hoist and this lifting eye are what I use to lift mine, screws into the top of the flywheel you don't have to remove it.

<EDIT- See Announcements>

Any of the power pole brackets are fine to use as long as they are torqued down properly, use whatever one fits your application best. Also you are still in the wrong engine thread and you would probably get more answers posting in the Tracker forums since this applies more to the boat than the motor.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 07-13-2021 at 04:19 PM.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I have moved your thread to the CORRECT (4-Stroke) engine forum. This is the appropriate location for your question as it does relate directly to your Mercury FOURSTROKE engine.

Please take a moment to read the Forum Announcements at the top of the Forum. We do not support Zon or Bay (or any items purchased there) here in the forums.

Your Fourstroke requires a completely different lifting device that was originally designed to be used on the Verado-series engines. Threaded eye WILL NOT WORK.

Power Pole brackets that mount to the side of the jackplate are acceptable. Per Mercury Service Bulletin 2013-15, absolutely no devices are to be mounted between the engine and jackplate (or transom). No devices are to be secured with the engine mounting bolts other than the engine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    I missed the part where it was a 4 stroke but what's wrong with the sandwich brackets for power poles? People have used them for years without issue.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    "Without Issue" is a debatable topic. Sandwiched brackets tend to move due to forces being exerted on them (separate and very different from the clamp load forces of mounting the engine to the surface).

This loosens the clamp load, potentially causing failure of hardware, transom brackets, etc. There is indeed a serious safety concern.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Don, thanks for the feedback. If not the lifting eye, then what is used? Is it the Verado-style one with 3 bolt holes to connect to the flywheel, or is it a different method all together?
    Last edited by jrfuda; 07-14-2021 at 10:33 AM. Reason: typos

7. Member
    I've got to stop reading and replying on my phone, I always miss something versus reading on a desktop.

Looks like Don already directed me to the correct lifting device. Does anyone have any experience with this marine tech device: Verado Lifting Kit (marinetech.com)

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Essentially an aftermarket version of 895343T02. It should be suitable for the purposes of lifting your engine.