Nitro Z7 upgrade to group 31 batteries

Has anyone upgrade their batteries to group 31 size? How easy is it to replace the battery holders?

2. Member
    the trays are held down with screws. its easy. just measure to make sure the new trays will fit.
    2015 189 trx

Well most trays are 24/27 or 29/31 so they should fit. But hear me out. Lithium's will do wonders for the z7; I have a z8 and got 3 for just over 1000$, with warranty to 8 years, I have been killing 3 150$ lead batteries every 2 years so if I just replaced them for 450, in two years I'd be up to 900$ and well in switching these three batteries I dropped over 105 pounds as the lithium's are 15.42 pounds each. I have ram my boat low on fuel and with no tackle and it's still not as good as dropping the lead out of the back with to much gear. If this peaks your interest I'd hit up drewtech he can be found many places but there is a sale just rapping up for IonicBlueBatteries. In the trolling motor/wiring/ batteries sub forum
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Well most trays are 24/27 or 29/31 so they should fit. But hear me out. Lithium's will do wonders for the z7; I have a z8 and got 3 for just over 1000$, with warranty to 8 years, I have been killing 3 150$ lead batteries every 2 years so if I just replaced them for 450, in two years I'd be up to 900$ and well in switching these three batteries I dropped over 105 pounds as the lithium's are 15.42 pounds each. I have ram my boat low on fuel and with no tackle and it's still not as good as dropping the lead out of the back with to much gear. If this peaks your interest I'd hit up drewtech he can be found many places but there is a sale just rapping up for IonicBlueBatteries. In the trolling motor/wiring/ batteries sub forum
    the thought has me salivating.

Quote Originally Posted by behls16 View Post
    the thought has me salivating.
    Up they are physically smaller too, so if you have pp pumps in there too it's great, on my 250 z8 when I'm alone I can't wash the back deck anymore and I used to be have to be careful. I'm sure 1'4" shorter and 100 up less would benefit too.

7. Member
    I saw somewhere that Mercury didn’t recommend lithium batteries to start their engines but can’t find it now. I don’t know if that’s what you’re running, but has anyone else seen that, and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Roadhawk View Post
    I saw somewhere that Mercury didn’t recommend lithium batteries to start their engines but can’t find it now. I don’t know if that’s what you’re running, but has anyone else seen that, and why?
    That is Mercury's and other stance at the moment. First off some company's claim to have resolved the issues, ionic brand like my trolling motor has one that makes that claim 125ah starting battery. The reason the motor companies are pushing responsibly away is these lithium batteries have a power management system inside that is independently controlled. It is hypocritically possible that the battery has a full charge and then the alternator of the motor sends power to it. The battery not wanting to exceed voltage disconnects itself. This hypothetically then can damage the motors charging system, also with this circuit cut the motor is not getting power supply from the battery to run the computer, - so imagine wide open throttle aired out at 73 mph, then pow drop the throttle to non bow drops down and hull hooks to the side dumping everyone in the boat hopefully we don't have concussions and have pfd on.

this is the extreme.

I have my batteries plus x2 31 agm for my starting battery. I have used my trolling batteries many times now and am super happy with them.

9. Member
    Put in RELiONS in my Z7, what was a very good holeshot went to an incredible one due to the weight loss, less than 3 seconds. Running the HP100 for the engine/electronics/etc... and have not had any issues with it for 6 years now. The 50AH are considerably smaller than a group 24/27 size and freed up some space in the rear as well.

Mercury requirement for no lithium is for the new 4S engines.

^ any engines. Especially ones on boats that exceed 55mph