I need the part number for the trim sensor
    2016 300 Verado
    Model number 1302V23LD
    Serial number 2B172074

2. Member
    Or can I clean the sensor I have?

Quote Originally Posted by theredman View Post
    Or can I clean the sensor I have?
    Probably not, but if the verodo has any ground straps like a opti does check them for breaks. Also at European marine they have a part look up area.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    8M0010626 is the part number for the trim sensor.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    A little update. Trim sensor is reading but not accurate. I tried calibrating but still not right. But trim sensor is working but its off by at least half

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You tried calibrating by WHAT METHOD?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    The one that’s on YouTube. All the way down- press save, all the way up-save, then on my trailering position-press save.?

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Don't rely on the "Tube" for technical guidance. Most of those videos are riddled with errors (some amusing, some downright expensive, and some even very dangerous).

You are calibrating SMARTCRAFT (not calibrating the trim sender).

G3 Diagnostic System is required to actually set the trim and trailer limit positions in the PCM. Smartcraft can be used to adapt the GAUGE to the sender.

Three points are saved:

-Full DOWN (hold for 4 seconds stalling trim): Save.

-Place angle finder on the anti-ventilation plate and note current angle.

-Add 20 degrees to this angle... raise engine to that point ONLY. This is TRIM angle (Save).

-Now raise engine all the way up as high as you can without contacting any fixed object. This is TRAILER position. (Save).

Exit the calibration settings and it should "read" properly.

9. Member
    Right now it just reads trim all the way down or 0. Can I run it like that? Will the boat run properly. Because right now I’m still having the sputtering at 4,500 RPM. Thanks for the info

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    As long as it does not show a reading above 20%.

11. Member
    Trying to calibrate but still no reading properly.
    shows 0% or all the way down until I get to all the way down. Then reads at 25%

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Enter the calibration or settings section of your Smartcraft Instrument.

First step is FULL DOWN: run the trim ALL THE WAY DOWN, and CONTINUE TO HOLD THE DOWN BUTTON for 4 seconds. SAVE SETTING.

Second step is the TRIM position. Measure current angle of anti-ventilation plate (there's an app for that), then add 20 degrees to that angle. Raise trim to this point (but no higher) and then SAVE.

Final step is to raise to the highest/maximum TRAILER position (without contacting anything with the cowling). SAVE.

Now exit the Settings or Calibration section, and see if it works properly.

If it does NOT, there is a problem with the trim sensor or the pin.

13. Member
    Wasn’t able to calibrate properly but trim is reading down or 0. So boat is running great!. Thanks for all replies.

14. Member
    Update, the trim gauge sometimes reads all the way down(and runs fine). Then sometimes reads all the up, when it’s not. Witch causes it to govern itself and limit it’s rpm’s. I haven’t replaced anything yet because I don’t won’t to spend money on parts I don’t need. Should I replace the trim sensor and see if that’s it?

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Make sure the pin is properly secured- if it is, REPLACE TRIM SENSOR.

16. Member
    Ok thanks, sorry I’m kinda not knowledge. I pulled out the sensor and it has corrosion in it. It does look like it could be bad. Can you explain what the pin is? Thanks I appreciate you answering all my questions.

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    "Pin" is the Anchor Pin that connects the top of the ram to the engine.