Thread: Bow lift

Bow lift

How would I go about getting more bow lift out of my boat?
    It is a 2001 201D, with a 225 Opiti. Max, stock 10" jack plate and a 25 pitch 4 blade trophy plus prop. As of yesterday with me, tackle and full of fuel running 65 mph. I just don't seem to be lifting very good.

2. Member
    Not sure what your prop to pad height is, but I’d suggest a tempest prop for more bow lift.
    '99 Cobra 201D
    Merc 250 Pro Xs 4 stroke

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TimCone View Post
    How would I go about getting more bow lift out of my boat?
    It is a 2001 201D, with a 225 Opiti. Max, stock 10" jack plate and a 25 pitch 4 blade trophy plus prop. As of yesterday with me, tackle and full of fuel running 65 mph. I just don't seem to be lifting very good.
    Tim,
    Need more information on motor and boat set up, and the original JP would have been black 8" Slidemaster, unless it was special ordered.
    What RPMs are you turning at WOT?
    What is your P2P?
    When was the last time motor tuned and all maintenance done to it? what is your compression with leak down?
    Is your trim and tilt working good including gauge?
    How much sit time playing with current setup?

My rig is '02 201DC running a '03 Merc 225 EFI lightly worked hanging off a 10" Slidemaster set at 2 7/8" P2P, that I installed replacing the 8" original, spinning a 25" Trophy Plus worked by Croxton for my set up.
    I run high 60's with occasional 70 with the Trophy, and also I run a 26" Tempest Plus worked by Croxton low to mid 70. Top speed should not be your main concern in my opinion, but how well does you rig set up runs for all your needs combined.

4. Member
    A 4 blade prop tends to give more stern lift and a 3 blade prop tends to give more bow lift.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sports1 View Post
    A 4 blade prop tends to give more stern lift and a 3 blade prop tends to give more bow lift.
    Some what true, but a prop that has been worked for a specific set up will give your your best performance. Further, your hull design and size of JP will change the fulcrum point of any boat, so seat time will help greatly in finding the sweet spot for your set up.
    My rig would run faster if I set my JP to 2 1/2" and run my 26" Tempest Plus worked by Croxton, but it gives me a best set up at 2 7/8" P2P so that I can run the 25" Trophy Plus in hot weather, with minor penalty of few miles at WOT.

Knowing your rig is just as important as knowing your rifle, there may be many like it, but only 1 is yours, which makes it your best friend.

6. Member
    My statement was simply a general statement not an absolute rule that’s why I said “tends to”. You definitely have to you own rig for sure. With that being said trying a Tempest on the 201 would not be a bad idea in my opinion.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sports1 View Post
    My statement was simply a general statement not an absolute rule that’s why I said “tends to”. You definitely have to know your own rig for sure. With that being said trying a Tempest on the 201 would not be a bad idea in my opinion.
    +1 on that Tempest Plus, though we have not heard any more from Tim on his set up.

How much tackle is he caring in front. I carry probably alot more than I should. And I've noticed my bow lift is down. Really not much room aft since the rear deck is so small. All my tackle forward of seats. And being well fed doesn't help.
    Irving-NorCal
    2000 Cobra Viper 201 DC
    2024 Mercury 250L Pro XS SN# 3B431534
    Fury 3 Blade 24P