2017 250 HO Delayed throttle response when getting on plane

Model E250LHAGF Serial # 5484946. When I mash the foot throttle to plane out, my boat is not taking much throttle at all. It will just sit there nose high for about 5-10 seconds, then take off exactly like I'd expect it to right from the start. I am going to try opening the pvs holes. I'm running a 28 Raker on a 21XRS Bullet. I don't feel like the vents are the fix to this, because it doesn't seem like the motor is bogging at all, but I may be wrong. Boat is running great outside of that. I have tried adjusting my jackplate all over the place(hydraulic), but nothing seems to help at all. When it finally takes, it shoots out of the hole, but until then, it's just kind of sitting there nose high making my holeshot match up with all of the other boats.

2. Member
    Can we presume this condition is new? Or has it been this way since the beginning?
    What is your wot rpm?

3. Member
    bighare the powerhead was replaced by the dealer under warranty. 195 hours on it now. I just bought the boat with the new powerhead installed. I can't give a fair answer here. I'm going to say that it hasn't always been this way, as a pro fisherman ran this motor for the first year, that would make me assume that it was right at that time, but that is only an educated guess.

4. Member
    WOT RPM's tricky question... It has a hydraulic jackplate. I have moved that all over the place. I'm going to say 5,950-6,000. I honestly haven't maxed the boat out yet. The DPS is a little different for me, being used to traditional hydraulic steering. It feels a little more "loose" than what I've been used to in the past, so correcting chinewalk with this setup has been a little more touchy thus far, but that's another discussion for another time.

I’ve been in more than one G2 that doesn’t like the throttle to me “mashed”. Becomes almost non responsive when doing that. A quick gradual push of the throttle doesn’t do that tho.
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

6. Member
    I missed that this was a G2. Knowing this, I suspect the water injection solenoid may be at issue. It’s not activating thus causing a hesitation on acceleration.

If you are hitting 5900 to 6000 rpm you are reving too high. This engine should peak out at 5700/5800 max.

most people have a tendency to over correct with DPS on a boat like a Bullet or Triton. Double check what the DPS assist level setting is. Hi, med or low assist. Some people set to low assist.
    Last edited by bighare; 07-13-2021 at 04:23 PM.

7. Member
    1badair I don't think this is it. I tried "feathering" it up and it led to the same results. It's still a delay.

8. Member
    bighare should this be throwing a code? I'm not getting a code at all. Also, on the RPM's, I could've swore that I read in the owner's manual that max RPM range was 5400-6000. Is this incorrect?

9. Member
    Yes the wot range is spec’d at 5400 to 6000. But experience has shown that hp peak was in the mid point with hp starting to fall off around 5800. So any more rpm is less hp and more fuel and no speed gain.
    maybe yes maybe no On the water valve throwing a code. Suggest to have checked regardless.
    here is the code: 93 Water injection valve OPEN, Check exhaust water valve resistance: 16 to 18 Ω. Perform exhaust water valve circuit tests
    the water supply to the valve may also be plugged/ disconnected.

10. Member
    bighare. They said they checked that out and everything was good there. Any idea what could be the next item to check? I was really hoping that was my issue. IDK if this matters at all, but this is a new powerhead.

11. Member
    Also, another issue that I probably should've mentioned, and I just bring this up because maybe there is some sort of correlation... The boat will also cut off, like you pulled the kill switch randomly. Might run for 2 hours, and might run for 30 minutes. It seems that the most common time for this to occur is when you're just starting to trim down/let out of the throttle to stop and fish. It's not hitting a rough running condition or anything, just cutting completely off. Then it can die. Come to a stop, and start right back up and takeoff every single time.