Thread: Blowout

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blowout

Well, it happened to me. Single axle trailer and a tire blew out on an interstate at 65 mph. Tire was 2 years old with maybe 2000 miles on it. The guy that was behind me pulled over to help and told me he saw it happen and thought I had hit something. No way to tell if that is what happened or not. This tire passed inspection 2 weeks ago.

The trailer was originally equipped with Goodyear Marathons. About 5 years ago I had taken the trailer for the state safety inspection and one of the tires would not pass. I asked the shop if they had them and was told yes. I had already used the spare when the other tire's tread was low so I told them to put two new tires on the trailer and move the better one to the spare position. When I the work was done I looked at the tires and they were Power King Towmaster. My mistake - I should have asked what they were putting on. They didn't carry the Goodyear.

Two years ago I was working on my hubs and noticed that one of them had worn too much and I replaced it with another Power King. That is the tire that had the blowout.

I was able to get to the side of the highway and change the tire. The only damage to the trailer was the wiring for the tail light on that side. It doesn't look like the wheel got damaged; how do I check that?

I have been reading the threads on here about tires and I guess I will put Goodyear Endurance on this time. That leaves the question of the spare. Would you put a new one on there or use the 2006 Marathon or the 2016 Power King? My truck has a towing app that monitors the tire pressure and temperature, so if I ever need to use the spare in regular service it will need to be dismounted and have the TPMS sensor installed. If I am at that point I would just get two new tires if I use one of the older tires for emergency service.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

It depends on how old the spare is. Personally I changed all three to Goodyears after I had the same thing happen. Mine took out the wiring, fender/lighting assembly and aluminium wheel.
    I wanted to reduce the chance of that happening again.
    Last edited by jimsch; 07-14-2021 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    Well, it happened to me. Single axle trailer and a tire blew out on an interstate at 65 mph. Tire was 2 years old with maybe 2000 miles on it. The guy that was behind me pulled over to help and told me he saw it happen and thought I had hit something. No way to tell if that is what happened or not. This tire passed inspection 2 weeks ago.

The trailer was originally equipped with Goodyear Marathons. About 5 years ago I had taken the trailer for the state safety inspection and one of the tires would not pass. I asked the shop if they had them and was told yes. I had already used the spare when the other tire's tread was low so I told them to put two new tires on the trailer and move the better one to the spare position. When I the work was done I looked at the tires and they were Power King Towmaster. My mistake - I should have asked what they were putting on. They didn't carry the Goodyear.

Two years ago I was working on my hubs and noticed that one of them had worn too much and I replaced it with another Power King. That is the tire that had the blowout.

I was able to get to the side of the highway and change the tire. The only damage to the trailer was the wiring for the tail light on that side. It doesn't look like the wheel got damaged; how do I check that?

I have been reading the threads on here about tires and I guess I will put Goodyear Endurance on this time. That leaves the question of the spare. Would you put a new one on there or use the 2006 Marathon or the 2016 Power King? My truck has a towing app that monitors the tire pressure and temperature, so if I ever need to use the spare in regular service it will need to be dismounted and have the TPMS sensor installed. If I am at that point I would just get two new tires if I use one of the older tires for emergency service.
    I would suggest that you move away from "trailer tires" all together and put a good set of car radials on your trailer that are weight rated sufficiently to handle the boat/trailer load. I had Goodyear Marathons on mine and had one issue after another with knots popping up on the side walls, slipped belts inside the tires, blowouts etc. Trailer tires are junk and not necessary. I have been running radial car tires on my boat trailers for years and have not had one ounce of trouble since switching to them. Allot of the "trailer tires" are made in China and are total junk. I am currently running Cooper radial tires (I wanted raised white letter tires and this was one of the few brands that offered that in the size I needed) on my tandem axle trailer and have not had a single issue. My brother is also running the exact set on his tandem axle and has had no issues either.

Hate to hear about your misfortune zelmo.
    But bombercraw just opened that can..

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Hate to hear about your misfortune zelmo.
    But bombercraw just opened that can..

LOL.......I was thinking that I might have opened the can as well. I know that some will say that trailer tires are required due to tougher side walls, insurance requirements etc., but I can say from experience that car radials work fine and are trouble free. Been running them on my boat trailers for years and years with no issues.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bombercraw View Post
    LOL.......I was thinking that I might have opened the can as well. I know that some will say that trailer tires are required due to tougher side walls, insurance requirements etc., but I can say from experience that car radials work fine and are trouble free. Been running them on my boat trailers for years and years with no issues.
    As I was reading threads I came across several suggesting car tires. Has anyone had an insurance claim denied because car tires were on the trailer?

As I was reading threads I came across several suggesting car tires. Has anyone had an insurance claim denied because car tires were on the trailer?
    I have not heard or read of any.

8. Member
    And you won't, it is a myth. Some manufacturers deliver their boats and trailers with passenger tires.

Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    And you won't, it is a myth. Some manufacturers deliver their boats and trailers with passenger tires.
    Sounds logical to me. There is no reason a passenger tire won't work on a boat trailer as long as the load rating is sufficient.

10. Member
    There’s a 100% difference in the brand of tire your using on a trailer and unfortunately today you can’t compare tires by manufacturer ratings only.
    I switched my last two Rangers over to Goodyear Endurance tires right away after buying. Bought a trailer new for hauling my side by side last fall, came it’s west lake tires with good internet ratings/manufacturer ratings. Pulling though it bounced and swayed more than it should. I switched them out for the Goodyear endurance also and there’s a night and day difference. The west lakes although have good load ratings, off the rim it’s unreal how soft and weak the sidewalls are.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

11. Member
    A search shows up lots of info on passenger tires vs trailer tires. It seems the main difference is in the stiffness of the sidewall on trailer tires to reduce sway.

12. Member

It doesn't look like the wheel got damaged; how do I check that?
    I felt around the edge of the rim with my bare hand and didn't feel any problems. Is that all I need to do?

13. Member

You only have to break the bead on one side of the tire to install the TPMS sensors, the tire does not need to be dismounted. I’ve done all of my trailer tires at home with a couple of pieces of 2” x 4”. It’s pretty easy.

I would suggest that you move away from "trailer tires" all together and put a good set of car radials on your trailer that are weight rated sufficiently to handle the boat/trailer load. I had Goodyear Marathons on mine and had one issue after another with knots popping up on the side walls, slipped belts inside the tires, blowouts etc. Trailer tires are junk and not necessary. I have been running radial car tires on my boat trailers for years and have not had one ounce of trouble since switching to them. Allot of the "trailer tires" are made in China and are total junk. I am currently running Cooper radial tires (I wanted raised white letter tires and this was one of the few brands that offered that in the size I needed) on my tandem axle trailer and have not had a single issue. My brother is also running the exact set on his tandem axle and has had no issues either.

I see this from the Cooper Tire website.
    Cooper Tire is an American-owned company based in Findlay, Ohio, with four tire manufacturing facilities in the United States – Findlay, Ohio; Clarksdale, Mississippi; Texarkana, Arkansas; and Tupelo, Mississippi – as well as facilities in Mexico, Europe, and Asia.
    Do their tires have some kind of marking that indicates the facility it was made in?
    2003 Stratos 185, Yamaha V150LTRB, Tempest Plus 25P

Quote Originally Posted by Coach185 View Post
    I see this from the Cooper Tire website.
    Cooper Tire is an American-owned company based in Findlay, Ohio, with four tire manufacturing facilities in the United States – Findlay, Ohio; Clarksdale, Mississippi; Texarkana, Arkansas; and Tupelo, Mississippi – as well as facilities in Mexico, Europe, and Asia.
    Do their tires have some kind of marking that indicates the facility it was made in?
    I think there is a plant code on all tires but I'm not sure where to find the list of plant codes to be able to determine which plant a specific tire is made.

I found this from a quick search................

https://www.wfirm.com/complete-list-...t-plant-codes/

17. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    That would be nice, but you will hunt a long time trying to find a 14” P tire that is rated for enough load to haul a glass boat on a single axle. Used to it was really hard to find a trailer tire that would handle the load, but now there are a few choices for 14” trailer tires in LR-D
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

You guys run those other tires. I'll stick to my USA endurance until they prove me different. I put on the endurance when they first came out, and guess what, I haven't had an issue yet either.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    That would be nice, but you will hunt a long time trying to find a 14” P tire that is rated for enough load to haul a glass boat on a single axle. Used to it was really hard to find a trailer tire that would handle the load, but now there are a few choices for 14” trailer tires in LR-D
    This is the one caveat when using a single axle trailer. I personally will not go over 80% of the total tire rating. Here is a link for those interested in facts rather than internet myths.
    https://rvtires.com/tire-load-capacity/

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    This is the one caveat when using a single axle trailer. I personally will not go over 80% of the total tire rating. Here is a link for those interested in facts rather than internet myths.
    https://rvtires.com/tire-load-capacity/
    I did a rough calculation and I was pushing the C rating on my tires when I add up the weight of the boat, motor, trailer, batteries and gasoline. Add a bit more for gear and I guess I am lucky that this didn’t happen sooner.

I am surprised Triton sold this package and didn’t make a tandem axle trailer mandatory. I am definitely going to move up to the D rating.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast