Thumbs down Chine walk on Vexus VX 20 - with no remedy

Vexus service was stellar. Jason is the best. Very impressed with their response after posting on BBC.
    Last edited by crosica; 07-23-2021 at 08:46 AM.

The fix is usually the driver learning how to drive the boat with the correct steering input. Most every performance boat on the market will chine walk on the top end. Driver input is critical.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

Welcome to a fast, high performance boat. You can minimize it through load balancing, JP settings, trim, and driver input. It is very easy to control like learning how to ride a bike. It is not a defect in any way.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    I'd be interested in what is the ptp height, what speed does it start chine walking, does it get violent or just annoying?

Are all the steering parts, jack plate and engine mount bolts tight? Have you tried raising the engine a 1/4" at a time making sure you have at least 15lbs of water pressure at wot?

Check alll these items or have your dealer check them. You may not be able to eliminate all chine walk but you may be able to improve it significantly.

5. Member
    When mine was new and empty it walked bad at WOT
    As I got it loaded with all of my stuff and as I got used to driving it, it went away
    I will keep my jack plate from 8 to 12 on the Atlas gauge and the motor at about 65 on the trim gauge
    those settings with a lot of tackle get me 69-71 mph with a little driving
    I went with an experienced guide and had him help me as well it was well worth the money
    Goos Luck

6. Member
    Wd, I’m in Weatherford. Would love to see your boat sometime. I have a tournament in EM on august 14.
    What guide helped you get set up?
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS

7. Member
    Cbump<br>Happy to meet you any time I'm around<br><br>I'm about the 6th dock south of the water pump tower, due west Of the Ft Worth Boat Club<br>My boat is not in the lift yet. <br><br>James Caldemeyer was the guide that helped me. He has helped me with my last 2 boats.<br>Best money Ive spent

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Welcome to a fast, high performance boat. You can minimize it through load balancing, JP settings, trim, and driver input. It is very easy to control like learning how to ride a bike. It is not a defect in any way.
    What did you do in the Navy? I retired in 02 at NAS Whidbey island.

I'm in the boat market. So close to pulling trigger on an avx 1980 but the sales guy just told me of a skeeter vx190 that is basically new (2020). Its about 5k less than the vexus but after adding electronics and good TM they're about the same.

I'm in southern idaho.

Thanks
    Greg

9. Member
    I live on Lake Champlain, have owned three Rangers (plus other boats) with 250s on them and jack plates. The manufacturer said put the trim at 20% and the jack plate at 2 inches. I have tried 10 to 35% and every setting on the Jag play. I have also talk to other vexes owners who complain about the same issue. This is definitely a Vexus issue.

Back in the late ‘90’s early 2000’s everybody gripped about Tritons and chine walking. Heck they only made the TR-18 hull two years because it walked so bad. I had a TR-18 with a 150 Intruder on it and before I got it set up right it would almost throw you out of the boat.

I tweaked and fussed with it for a season and got it settled down some then learned how to drive it. After a couple seasons I rarely noticed it. After I had it 10 years or so I put hydraulic steering on it and completely forgot it walked.

Spend some time with your toy and become one with it, that’s the best way.

11. Member
    Hydraulic jack plate? My VX21 don’t walk at all…set my Atlas at 11 and trim around 24%
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy fishing baits and that's about the same thing

12. Member
    If JP too low will walk. Raise JP higher in small increments. you want to get an optimal hole shot while maintaining adequate Water Pressure. Trim up until you feel some walk and bump trim down until it stops. People talk about driving through walk to go as fast as possible and while it may be exciting for a while, it "can" be dangerous for the inexperienced. Each boat in the VX series is going to have different optimal placement for JP and trim. Learn your boat slowly and safely. My JP is in ideal position for summer (winter a little different) and if I feel any walk when trimmed up, I bump trim down until the boat is driving itself.

Back in the late ‘90’s early 2000’s everybody gripped about Tritons and chine walking. Heck they only made the TR-18 hull two years because it walked so bad. I had a TR-18 with a 150 Intruder on it and before I got it set up right it would almost throw you out of the boat.

I tweaked and fussed with it for a season and got it settled down some then learned how to drive it. After a couple seasons I rarely noticed it.

I was in the same "boat" as you, after buying a 2003 TR20. After I complained to the service manager enough about it he finally barked at me "
    they just chine walk, you need to learn how to drive it". I then said said "OK let's go out and you show me". "If you can drive it, I will believe you".

That was all it took. The guy (who is still a friend to me today), drove the shit out of it with no walk at all up to 72-74 mph with nothing in the boat and very little gas.
    All it takes is very small steering adjustments to keep the small amount of pad balanced and in even contact with the water. If not controlled the boat will start to fall off to one side and then back to the other, getting worse if not corrected.
    I learned to drive a fast bass boat back then and now I can drive anything. Even a "chine walking" Blazer that a friend of mine had up to 83 mpg, which was actually easier to drive than my tr20.

Good luck...
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

14. Member
    I was told something similar with my 99 TR-21. Turns out the engine bolts along with several,other things were loose. Once everything got tightened up, then it was just learning to saw the wheel a bit. Up till then though...scary!!!

15. Member
    A Vexus rep was in the area and stopped by (actually came to my house). We took it out for a drive and I showed him the issue. While the rocking cannot be completely eliminated, it is likely due to the hull design. That said, I love this boat in rougher water, so I guess it's a small price to pay. Also - Jason at Vexus is really great. Vexus stands behind their boats.

Quote Originally Posted by crosica View Post
    A Vexus rep was in the area and stopped by (actually came to my house). We took it out for a drive and I showed him the issue. While the rocking cannot be completely eliminated, it is likely due to the hull design. That said, I love this boat in rougher water, so I guess it's a small price to pay. Also - Jason at Vexus is really great. Vexus stands behind their boats.
    Talk about customer service!!! I’m glad you were able to get it sorted out!
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,