Thread: Fish Scale?

Fish Scale?

Looking for a new accurate fish scale, my old one shot craps..... what’s everyone using ? Thank you

Catch commander, best damn scale I have ever owned, accurate, easy to read in bright sunlight, very easy simple operation and Water Proof.
    A step above others that are just water resistant
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Catch commander, best damn scale I have ever owned, accurate, easy to read in bright sunlight, very easy simple operation and Water Proof.
    A step above others that are just water resistant
    Looks like a decent one, thanks for the info.... anyone else?

4. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    15lb BogaGrip

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

5. Member
    Another for the catch commander, works very well.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

6. Member
    I'll add another vote for the catch commander

7. Member
    Catch commander hands down

8. Member
    The small black rapala one does great for me.. Better than the touch screen one for storing weights and will tell you biggest, smallest, and total weight stored.

Anything I have that is close (.1 lbs) when it comes to culling I get the beam out.
    Fish have fins, they swim

9. Member
    Rapala high contrast has been good for me.

10. Member
    I also like my Rapala. Believe it or not I have a couple of Mustad cheaper ones that are right in line with the Rapala as far as weighing but of course don't store the weights.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I have a Brecknell and it is very accurate but the Catch Commander logs your fish and stuff, really a nice feature for culling and such.

12. Member
    I have been using the Brecknell scale also seems ok as of now.
    2018 BASSCAT COUGAR FTD
    MERCURY 250 PRO XS 2B524980

13. Member
    My Brecknell has been flawless for 4 years and I really like it but might have to give the Catch Commander a try if my Brecknell ever dies.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    I have a Brecknell and it is very accurate but the Catch Commander logs your fish and stuff, really a nice feature for culling and such.
    I’ve started weighing my fish just for fun and using the culling and best five to keep track of best 5 each day I’m out. Whether it’s just a couple hours of junk fishing or a trip it’s pretty cool to actually see trip to trip. Made it interesting with three days on Mille lacs to try and figure it out and grow my best 5 each day
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

15. Member
    I got the Catch Commander on SALE at Tackle Warehouse for $35. It's an awesome scale so far.

I'm a Catch Commander user for two years now. I don't think I'll be switching anytime soon. The rest of this is mostly copied and pasted from another thread about this, but these are my thoughts on the ones I've used:

The Rapala High Contrast is pretty great: Accurate, easy to use, nice visibility in the sun, etc. My issue with them is that I couldn't get one to last more than one season. The "backlight" went in both of the ones I had. Maybe backlight isn't the right word: essentially they went from being easy to see in the sun to being nearly impossible to see in the sun (and batteries weren't the culprit). I never allowed them to get rained on or anything aside from general humidity you might have in a boat compartment, so I'm really not sure what happened. Aside from their durability, the only real complaint I had was that I initially found I would sometimes get weights that were really off. Long story short, even when holding the scale properly when turning it on, making a habit re-zeroing it with the clip hanging freely after turning it on solved the issue. Just a bit of a pain to have to do to make sure you get reliable weights, but not a huge deal.

Not wanting to buy another disposable scale, I grabbed a Catch Commander before last season and was overall very pleased with it. The only real complaint I had is the auto-hold function that will sometimes hold on the wrong weight if the boat is bouncing or fish won't calm down. After I contacted the company asking about a manual hold function, I learned that you can "reset" the auto hold by hitting the power button once. That solved the occasional problem I had. (If anyone has one and didn't know this: Be careful to hit the power button only once to reset the hold as hitting twice zeroes the scale when it's in hold mode which would mean you'd need to remove the fish and re-zero before weighing again. Hitting power once any other time when it's not holding a weight zeroes the scale). I suppose another minor complaint is the bright yellow color. Though it's nice for finding the scale in the dark or whatever, it doesn't exactly make it easy to covertly weigh a fish as holding up a bright yellow scale draws some attention. Being cognizant to hold it down in the boat or behind a compartment lid solves that though.

For what it's worth, I had a Rapala Touch Screen before the High Contrast. It worked OK, but I felt it was too complicated and had issues with it registering my touches when I had cold and/or wet hands. The former I think is due to it just having more functions than needed for a simple scale I want to weigh fish and track my 5 biggest, and the latter I'm not sure can be avoided with a touch screen. Mine also came with the option of a hook or a terrible spring loaded clip that was too hard to open and that could easily crush a fish's mouth when attached; not sure if that's changed, but if not, you would probably want to plan to buy a Fish Grip Jr. to attach to it to make it usable. The High Contrast was just as accurate, simpler, had real buttons, came with a Fish Grip style clip that worked great, and is cheaper. Between those two the High Contrast wins every time in my opinion, but it's still not on the level of the Catch Commander.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I'm a Catch Commander user for two years now. I don't think I'll be switching anytime soon. The rest of this is mostly copied and pasted from another thread about this, but these are my thoughts on the ones I've used:

The Rapala High Contrast is pretty great: Accurate, easy to use, nice visibility in the sun, etc. My issue with them is that I couldn't get one to last more than one season. The "backlight" went in both of the ones I had. Maybe backlight isn't the right word: essentially they went from being easy to see in the sun to being nearly impossible to see in the sun (and batteries weren't the culprit). I never allowed them to get rained on or anything aside from general humidity you might have in a boat compartment, so I'm really not sure what happened. Aside from their durability, the only real complaint I had was that I initially found I would sometimes get weights that were really off. Long story short, even when holding the scale properly when turning it on, making a habit re-zeroing it with the clip hanging freely after turning it on solved the issue. Just a bit of a pain to have to do to make sure you get reliable weights, but not a huge deal.

Not wanting to buy another disposable scale, I grabbed a Catch Commander before last season and was overall very pleased with it. The only real complaint I had is the auto-hold function that will sometimes hold on the wrong weight if the boat is bouncing or fish won't calm down. After I contacted the company asking about a manual hold function, I learned that you can "reset" the auto hold by hitting the power button once. That solved the occasional problem I had. (If anyone has one and didn't know this: Be careful to hit the power button only once to reset the hold as hitting twice zeroes the scale when it's in hold mode which would mean you'd need to remove the fish and re-zero before weighing again. Hitting power once any other time when it's not holding a weight zeroes the scale). I suppose another minor complaint is the bright yellow color. Though it's nice for finding the scale in the dark or whatever, it doesn't exactly make it easy to covertly weigh a fish as holding up a bright yellow scale draws some attention. Being cognizant to hold it down in the boat or behind a compartment lid solves that though.

For what it's worth, I had a Rapala Touch Screen before the High Contrast. It worked OK, but I felt it was too complicated and had issues with it registering my touches when I had cold and/or wet hands. The former I think is due to it just having more functions than needed for a simple scale I want to weigh fish and track my 5 biggest, and the latter I'm not sure can be avoided with a touch screen. Mine also came with the option of a hook or a terrible spring loaded clip that was too hard to open and that could easily crush a fish's mouth when attached; not sure if that's changed, but if not, you would probably want to plan to buy a Fish Grip Jr. to attach to it to make it usable. The High Contrast was just as accurate, simpler, had real buttons, came with a Fish Grip style clip that worked great, and is cheaper. Between those two the High Contrast wins every time in my opinion, but it's still not on the level of the Catch Commander.
    Thanks Drew fir the great reply.... much appreciated

18. Member
    Catch Commander