Guntersville vs Rayburn

Curious as to what everyone who's been to both thinks. Do you think both lakes are evenly over pressured? They are both two of the most fished and best lakes in the country. I know lakes go through their cycles and it amazes me how these two places still produce at all. Not interested in talking about the "good ol days". Looking for places to possibly move to. The advantage of living at either lake would provide the opportunity to become very versatile as well as having to fish against stiff competition all the time.

2. Member
    If you moved closed to Guntersville then you would also be close to watts bar, chickamauga, nickajack, pickwick & wheeler which are all part of the tva lake/river chain and all are Great Lakes to fish. Of course chic gets alot of pressure still but nickajack produces almost as good with all the grass it holds. Some will say it produces better.

3. Member
    Guntersville is a beautiful lake.

I have not been to Rayburn.

I go to Guntersville every weekend. I catch tons of fish, haven't had a bad trip out there in over a year. Usually catching a 5lber+ per trip.

Speaking from fishing on the weekend..You will never have a honey hole, or secret spot. There will always be someone in your next spot, the locals (me) launch out well before safe light to hit the good early morning spots before the tourney boys get their boats started. Often times people will fish directly next to you, you will be sharing the same hot spots with multiple boats occasionally.

It's a fun lake, great fishing, but stressful due to always having to find new fish, and new spots.

4. Member
    Thank you for the replies. That's what I have heard several times about there. Having so many great bodies of water near by is great though.

5. Member
    I live about 15 minutes from Lake Guntersville just outside of Scottsboro and I love the area. Low taxes, cheap cost of living and have a whole bunch of prime fishing around. I'm originally from MI and grew up fishing Lake St Clair but have no regrets or desires to go back. Guntersville is heavily pressured but you can usually get on some good fishing regardless.

6. Member
    I was looking around the Scottsboro area and found all of the things you mentioned to be true. And great houses for the prices I saw (especially compared to where I live now). Big part of it is being close to alot of other bodies of water to become as versatile as possible.
    2019 Ranger Z520C Mercury 250 ProXs 4s
    2021 Skeeter FXR20 Yamaha SHO 250
    2009 Champion 210 Elite Mercury 250 ProXS
    2003 Champion 206 Mercury 250 ProXB
    1996 Nitro 896 Savage Mercury 200 EFI

Both are on my bucket list since I bought my new boat last year. We have family that are military that live close to FT Polk LA and Ive fished Toledo several times. It’s an awesome lake also but lots of people that fish it a lot also brag on Rayburn. I live a few hours away from Smith lake in AL and thats gonna be next one to fish.
    Never do a wrong thing to make a friend or keep one.
    R.E.L

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro
    200 Mercury ProXS
    2x10’ Talons

8. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    The one advantage Rayburn will have is that Texas and its residents manage their bass lakes better then Alabama does IMO.

9. Member
    I’ve fished them both. Both are great lakes but I’d choose Rayburn. Rayburn is a special place.