Rayburn vs Guntersville

Curious as to what everyone who's been to both thinks. Do you think both lakes are evenly over pressured? They are both two of the most fished and best lakes in the country. I know lakes go through their cycles and it amazes me how these two places still produce at all. Not interested in talking about the "good ol days". Looking for places to possibly move to. The advantage of living at either lake would provide the opportunity to become very versatile as well as having to fish against stiff competition all the time.

I'm not familiar at all with Lake Guntersville but hear great things about it. I am VERY familiar with Sam Rayburn Reservoir (114,000 acres at normal pool), Toledo Bend Reservoir (187,000 acres at normal pool) and finally Lake Fork (+/- 90,000 acres) That's the beauty of East Texas, you get 3 x mature and well managed lakes in the same vicinity. Plus, all the areas are very "Fishermen Friendly"
    ……Ranger Randy 521c

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Randy 521-C View Post
    I'm not familiar at all with Lake Guntersville but hear great things about it. I am VERY familiar with Sam Rayburn Reservoir (114,000 acres at normal pool), Toledo Bend Reservoir (187,000 acres at normal pool) and finally Lake Fork (+/- 90,000 acres) That's the beauty of East Texas, you get 3 x mature and well managed lakes in the same vicinity. Plus, all the areas are very "Fishermen Friendly"
    Fork is 27,000 acres, all three lakes are as good as it gets.

4. Lounge/Texas Club/Triton Boats Moderator Bobs21X's Avatar
    I've been to both G'Ville and Big Sam. They are both excellent, but different fisheries.
    The most pressure I've seen on a huge water body has to be KY Lake during ledge fishing time

Fork gets heavy pressure during the spawn. Big Sam has much more room to absorb fishing pressure, IMO.

Rayburn is close to Toledo, both lakes have alot more water then G-Ville.

But your aslo considering living in the area, not alot to do around Sam Rayburn. Not sure about G-Ville. I have a house on the South end of Rayburn.

You can always fish during the week.
    Last edited by BMCD; 07-26-2021 at 08:48 AM.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

6. Member
    Look around Tyler, TX.... so many wonderful fisheries within easy driving distance, including many you might not be familiar.....Caddo, Pines, Palestine, Nacogdoches, Pinkston, Murvaul, Livingston, Athens, etc etc etc. Rayburn, TB, Fork are easy drives.

7. Member
    Appreciate all the input an replies. I've been out on Toledo before but never any of the others. Have heard of them just never had the opportunity to get out on them. Maybe soon in the future though.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slicefixer View Post
    Look around Tyler, TX.... so many wonderful fisheries within easy driving distance, including many you might not be familiar.....Caddo, Pines, Palestine, Nacogdoches, Pinkston, Murvaul, Livingston, Athens, etc etc etc. Rayburn, TB, Fork are easy drives.
    Texoma not to far from there either. Nor is the DFW lakes.
    '12 Skeeter ZX20 SHO 250 Garmin Echomap Ultra 126SV and 106SV Ultrex.

9. Member
    Lots of good water in that part of the world!
    2019 Ranger Z520C Mercury 250 ProXs 4s
    2021 Skeeter FXR20 Yamaha SHO 250
    2009 Champion 210 Elite Mercury 250 ProXS
    2003 Champion 206 Mercury 250 ProXB
    1996 Nitro 896 Savage Mercury 200 EFI