I think my boat should go faster...need advice

I recently bought a 2013 Nitro Z7. The boat came with a 26P Tempest prop on a Yamaha 225Hp motor. It has a manual jack plate.

When I bought the boat the motor was really really high and I found that it was really hard to drive. I lowered the motor 2"-2.5" (found original marks from bolts at this location) and the boat handles completely different....much better. I swapped the prop for a 24P TXP and the holeshot seems much better.

I am getting about 63mph at top speed....It was pretty much the same with the other prop. In doing some reading it seems most guys with this boat and a 150hp are getting about the same speed. I'm thinking 75 hp should make some sort of difference in the top end.

Any ideas what might be wrong with my setup? What sort of top end should I expect with the 225 on it?
    Last edited by Millwright; 07-13-2021 at 03:50 PM.

What rpm's are you turning? Is the speed from gps or a speedometer?

3. Member
    I unfortunately don't have an rpm reading to help this along.

The speed is from my GPS.

4. Member
    Z7 with a 225 should haul ass

5. Member
    Even with the wrong prop should be getting more than that. Have the motor checked out.

6. Member
    I have been doing some reading online and finally found a local guy here that was knowledgeable as well. Sounds like I should be seeing 75+mph. Thats a long way from the 63 I'm seeing. |It also sounds liek it should be able to run the 26 pitch prop that was originally on it.
    \I did some investigating and testing and 1 coil is shot. |Only running on 5 cylinders. Ordered plugs a fuel filter and the new coil. Should hopefully see a big difference.

7. Member
    I would raise the motor back up. If you have water pressure. When that boat is running it will be hard to drive just part of operating a fast boat. If you practice driving it will get easier to handle. Good luck