Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CobbRookie View Post
    My dad had a Champion fish n ski that was such a terrific all around boat. It was fishing rig 90+% of time, but in a few minutes it could convert to taking family of five or six out to waterski. Loved that. That's what I want. Almost every single bass boat that I like nowadays has seating for 2 or 3 only, straight across. I could (and likely will) find out a way to make it work, but if there were a bass boat with some more seating, I'd be more interested.
    Then go with a Champ. That is what we did. This gives you a solid platform and allows you to spend more money on upgrades if you want them.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....highlight=21sx

There is a 21SX for sale in SoCal. I think the price is a little high for the quality, but it could be a sound boat. Price is always tough on these because they sell up around $30k as well, so someone may jump on it and you lose out.

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/...347104490.html

2. Member
    my buddy has the nitro sport 7 2012 which is more so the same as the z19 sport for todays model nice boat non the less... the triton alure though ends up being priced the same as rangers 212LS

the nitro Z19 issue is i find i dislike the way the transom is stepped inside of the boat. thats where i prefer the layout better of the WV? models

another brand you didnt mention was skeeter which seems to have a decent looking boat but its pre rigged with a yamaha (not that i dislike yam) but when it comes to outboards i feel that merc is the way to go
    2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nicapopolis View Post
    Then go with a Champ. That is what we did. This gives you a solid platform and allows you to spend more money on upgrades if you want them.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....highlight=21sx

There is a 21SX for sale in SoCal. I think the price is a little high for the quality, but it could be a sound boat. Price is always tough on these because they sell up around $30k as well, so someone may jump on it and you lose out.

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/...347104490.html

Hah - yes, I may end up doing exactly that in the offseason. Thanks for bird-dogging that one.

Those old Champs certainly hold their value, and based on my experience with good reason.

I've been focused on new boat market for a variety of reasons, but with prices the way they are, I could see it making sense to match an older hull with new power and electronics - best of both worlds.

I nearly did that with my dad's old boat earlier this summer, but couldn't find any Yamaha SHO anywhere. One of his friends got that boat, which was a good result.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ride.race.live View Post
    my buddy has the nitro sport 7 2012 which is more so the same as the z19 sport for todays model nice boat non the less... the triton alure though ends up being priced the same as rangers 212LS

the nitro Z19 issue is i find i dislike the way the transom is stepped inside of the boat. thats where i prefer the layout better of the WV? models

another brand you didnt mention was skeeter which seems to have a decent looking boat but its pre rigged with a yamaha (not that i dislike yam) but when it comes to outboards i feel that merc is the way to go
    Thanks for that suggestion re Skeeter and feedback re Nitro.

I'm really all over the map right now, but that's part of the reason I'm taking my time and see what makes the most sense to give up on and which features are most important. Can't have everything in a single boat - especially when some of the features you want are in direct contradiction to each other.

The reality is I'm going to be using it as a fishing boat 90% of the time at least, and much of that solo launch and loading. It's that 10% of time on lake with wife, kids, friends that I think will make boat ownership worth the most to me. Hard to cut back on anything in that 10% category! End of the day though it's just about getting on the water together. Whatever I end up buying, I'm sure we'll make it work.

5. Member
    Yeah I fell you.. im in the same boat... i love to do water sports with some friends here and there maybe 2-3 times a summer ontop of when the time comes comfort for the family.... its a tough call!

need 2 boats! designated fishing and a pontoon with a solid 150+ hp is decent haha.

i was in the market somewhat to upgrade my ranger especially the way the used market has been would of been a good time to "cash out" in comparison to what i paid but new boat prices are absolutely nuts here in Canada.... that 64K usd 212ls.... its 80K Cad then add 3k in additional costs Freight PDI Ect... then add 13%....

i priced out the ranger 621pro at 155K give or take OTD and thats without any major upgrades
    2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209

Thanks for that suggestion re Skeeter and feedback re Nitro.

I'm really all over the map right now, but that's part of the reason I'm taking my time and see what makes the most sense to give up on and which features are most important. Can't have everything in a single boat - especially when some of the features you want are in direct contradiction to each other.

The reality is I'm going to be using it as a fishing boat 90% of the time at least, and much of that solo launch and loading. It's that 10% of time on lake with wife, kids, friends that I think will make boat ownership worth the most to me. Hard to cut back on anything in that 10% category! End of the day though it's just about getting on the water together. Whatever I end up buying, I'm sure we'll make it work.
    Not cheap but another option is Bay Boats. It seems a lot of the boat manufacturers are offering family packages on Bay Boats. Ranger and Skeeter has that option that turns the front deck into a nice seating area full of cushions and back rests to lay out on along with a removable table, plus T-top, changing station, boarding ladder, and can carry 10 passengers. Just bring your checkbook, but it would be nice to also use it a couple times a year in the Gulf.

I had three Skeeters, one SL190 and two SL210’s. They were good boats, resale value was excellent on all three but rod storage and storage in general wasn’t good. When Lake Lanier got rough and if you hit a wave wrong, you would feel it, the boat would shudder. Had a hollow feel to the boat. I have a Ranger Reata 210 which is a heavy girl and a deep V compared to the Skeeter which I like on this lake. Same wave that would make the Skeeter shudder, the Ranger just goes through it no problem. Solid boat!

I know you said you don’t like WRMG, but the Triton Escape 220 is really nice and worth checking out. It’s a big boat at 21’6” long and I like the L seating. Last year for the Escape was probably 2018?

I know someone that might be interested in selling a 2009 Champion 214 that lives on Lanier if he was offered the right price if you’re interested? He’s a member on here.

7. Member
    Yes, those CC-type bay boats interest me too. Seating galore and ready to plow through waves when the lake comes up. They're certainly not what I'm used to, but I think some of the "cons" I've always heard against them have been mitigated by tech advances - like shallow water anchors and spotlock to hold in wind. The guys that run 'em sure love 'em. Family-wise, put up the bimini top and that'd be a really nice day on the water. Thanks for that suggestion. I may hit you up later re your buddy with the Champ 214 - Lanier's pretty close to me.

And by the way, @nicapopolis - sorry I didn't click through previously and see all the pics and story behind your 21SX. Oh my god, what a boat and what a find. Congratulations on that score. One of the finest living specimens of Champions I've seen. Gorgeous ride - wow. That's a show boat.

8. Member
    What do you have for a prop on yours?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Starcky7 View Post
    What do you have for a prop on yours?
    Who is this addressed to?

10. Member
    @gary_fritz I really like the set up of your 212LS. You may have the "Ultimate" FnS boat, man. Never seen one of those in person, but it seems like more of a functional bass boat than those deep-V style walleye type rigs. I want a shallower draft that I can fish southern lakes and (larger) rivers with. That Ranger is a little pricey though, ($62.5K base) - and I've got some psychological reasons for not being thrilled about handing over more money to WRMG. If I ever got one, I'd want to rig it like you did yours. Sweet boat. What's your total boat/motor/trailer weight rigged like that with a full tank of fuel? Besides price, I think that may be too much boat for me to tow safely over distance with a 4Runner or Tacoma.
    Thank you, I appreciate that, we really enjoy the boat and are pleased with our decision. Sketchy thing is, we had never set foot on one either when we placed the order so we were a bit nervous. We had set foot on the 1800 series and 2000 series Reata's and knew we didn't want those even though a sales guy at a show would only recommend those without even listening to me... but based one what I had seen about the 210LS in videos and pictures and compared to what I've seen in person on the 2000 series Reata I felt the 212LS was more like a bass boat and that was what we wanted. I will agree, it is pricey, and they've raised the base by $5k since we bought. When we were looking, the few used boats we had found were 5 years old and pushing $50k so we decided to buy new and get it how we wanted. I've always thought about getting it weighed to see but I have yet to do that, if I do I will try to remember to report back with the weight. We tow it with my wife's Yukon Denali with a 6.2L V8 rated at 8200lbs towing so it tows very well, but I'd be interested to see how a Tacoma would tow it because I had thought about getting one but I am concerned with it being able to tow the boat on longer hauls.
    2019 Ranger 212LS with a 2019 Mercury 250 ProXS 4-Stroke
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MSI and HELIX 10 Chirp (side by side at the console)
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MDI+ and HELIX 10 Chirp (stacked at the bow)
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112lb with Humminbird MEGA 360
    Dual Minn Kota 12' Talon with R&R Design
    Extended Emergency Ladder

Quote Originally Posted by gary_fritz View Post
    Thank you, I appreciate that, we really enjoy the boat and are pleased with our decision. Sketchy thing is, we had never set foot on one either when we placed the order so we were a bit nervous. We had set foot on the 1800 series and 2000 series Reata's and knew we didn't want those even though a sales guy at a show would only recommend those without even listening to me... but based one what I had seen about the 210LS in videos and pictures and compared to what I've seen in person on the 2000 series Reata I felt the 212LS was more like a bass boat and that was what we wanted. I will agree, it is pricey, and they've raised the base by $5k since we bought. When we were looking, the few used boats we had found were 5 years old and pushing $50k so we decided to buy new and get it how we wanted. I've always thought about getting it weighed to see but I have yet to do that, if I do I will try to remember to report back with the weight. We tow it with my wife's Yukon Denali with a 6.2L V8 rated at 8200lbs towing so it tows very well, but I'd be interested to see how a Tacoma would tow it because I had thought about getting one but I am concerned with it being able to tow the boat on longer hauls.
    If you ever do get your Reata 212 weighed, post up the numbers.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by I.P. Freely View Post
    If you ever do get your Reata 212 weighed, post up the numbers.
    Will do, maybe I'll try getting it weighed before the end of the season. I know there is a recycling place not far from me that used to weigh you're campers and that for like $10 and you get the tongue weight, weight over the axles and the total obviously, I'll have to give them a call sometime and see if they still do it.
    2019 Ranger 212LS with a 2019 Mercury 250 ProXS 4-Stroke
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MSI and HELIX 10 Chirp (side by side at the console)
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MDI+ and HELIX 10 Chirp (stacked at the bow)
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112lb with Humminbird MEGA 360
    Dual Minn Kota 12' Talon with R&R Design
    Extended Emergency Ladder

13. Member
    Love the cooler under the rear seat trick,,,. I need that seat setup on my older Ranger 397xt fish and ski

14. Member
    I currently have a Ranger VX1788WT, what I like about it is the wide gunnels, 8'6" width, 27" cockpit depth, 21* deadrise at the transom, tall windshield, and the 1/8" welded aluminum construction. What i'd REALLY like in a boat like this is a bench seat across the back, more underfloor storage, a better ladder, lower front casting deck with thick, and comfortable bow cushions, like a traditional bowrider. I'm not married to a brand, and I did a lot of research before making the purchase, but what I found was that in an aluminum deep v boat you're not going to get a lot of creature comforts or configuration options. I wish it didn't have the massive livewell in the back because i'm never going to use it. I do occasional light fishing, most of our boating is pleasure boating. There just isn't much out there for people that want an aluminum deep v but aren't really avid fishermen.

image0(5).jpeg

interior.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBoater View Post
    I currently have a Ranger VX1788WT, what I like about it is the wide gunnels, 8'6" width, 27" cockpit depth, 21* deadrise at the transom, tall windshield, and the 1/8" welded aluminum construction. What i'd REALLY like in a boat like this is a bench seat across the back, more underfloor storage, a better ladder, lower front casting deck with thick, and comfortable bow cushions, like a traditional bowrider. I'm not married to a brand, and I did a lot of research before making the purchase, but what I found was that in an aluminum deep v boat you're not going to get a lot of creature comforts or configuration options. I wish it didn't have the massive livewell in the back because i'm never going to use it. I do occasional light fishing, most of our boating is pleasure boating. There just isn't much out there for people that want an aluminum deep v but aren't really avid fishermen.

image0(5).jpeg

interior.jpg
    Nice boat!

16. Member
    We have and enjoy a Champion 21XS. I removed the wrap around windshields and installed a six foot binimi that’s taller and allows more wiggle room . Also raised the drivers seat three inches so it is more like driving a straight bass boat.Improved driving vision and safety one hundred per cent!!! Love our Champion.And the Mercury 250Pro XS over 500 hours NEVER ONE ISSUE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by POPSLAVAZ View Post
    We have and enjoy a Champion 21XS. I removed the wrap around windshields and installed a six foot binimi that’s taller and allows more wiggle room . Also raised the drivers seat three inches so it is more like driving a straight bass boat.Improved driving vision and safety one hundred per cent!!! Love our Champion.And the Mercury 250Pro XS over 500 hours NEVER ONE ISSUE !!!
    Sounds nice! Any pics of your boat?

18. Member
    i started out way back in 1990 with a 1985 Dynatrak 176SS fish & ski. After 12 years we outgrew it and I found a Viper Coral 202. Going from the 18' 115 hp Dynatrak to the 20'2" 225 hp Coral was a big improvement in all areas. I'd have to say my wish list for the ultimate fish and ski would be very similar to the Coral 202. I believe the Corals were the best fish & ski boats ever made up to this point. Pity they haven't been made for a long time. I sold my Coral when my kids got grown and moved to a bass boat but I miss the versatility of the fish & ski. The thing I liked about the Coral was that it was basically a bass boat hull with a fish & ski top cap as opposed to a bow rider heavy type hull with a live well and trolling motor thrown on. They kept the key bass boat features such as pretty good size front deck / rod lockers and a 40 gallon live well with timer. The in floor ski locker also made for great rod or anything storage. My Coral with the Merc 225 efi would hit 70 mph on gps. Not to shabby for a fish & ski. I fished some tournaments out of it and didn't really feel at a disadvantage. Sure the dedicated bass boat I now have is better for fishing but the Coral could hold its own. The Coral's extra seating and nice boarding ladder came in handy for many enjoyable days cruising and pulling water toys. Many people put down fish & ski boats but they have a purpose. My personal take is I liked the Coral because it wasn't mostly ski boat and just a little fish boat like some of the fish & ski boats are. With a 25P Tempest prop my Coral would jump out of the hole, cruise at 47 mph (gps) at only 4000 rpm, get on down the lake at upper 60s to 70 miles per hour depending on load, and it had a decent rough water ride. The walk through windshield was nice on bad weather days and I can tell you on some of the cold weather or rainy tournaments I fished I know some of the bass boat guys were wishing they had the windshield. Maybe some day a manufacturer will come out with a Fish & Ski design that isn't mostly ski with fishing as an afterthought.

Quote Originally Posted by ChooChooSnakeMan View Post
    i started out way back in 1990 with a 1985 Dynatrak 176SS fish & ski. After 12 years we outgrew it and I found a Viper Coral 202. Going from the 18' 115 hp Dynatrak to the 20'2" 225 hp Coral was a big improvement in all areas. I'd have to say my wish list for the ultimate fish and ski would be very similar to the Coral 202. I believe the Corals were the best fish & ski boats ever made up to this point. Pity they haven't been made for a long time. I sold my Coral when my kids got grown and moved to a bass boat but I miss the versatility of the fish & ski. The thing I liked about the Coral was that it was basically a bass boat hull with a fish & ski top cap as opposed to a bow rider heavy type hull with a live well and trolling motor thrown on. They kept the key bass boat features such as pretty good size front deck / rod lockers and a 40 gallon live well with timer. The in floor ski locker also made for great rod or anything storage. My Coral with the Merc 225 efi would hit 70 mph on gps. Not to shabby for a fish & ski. I fished some tournaments out of it and didn't really feel at a disadvantage. Sure the dedicated bass boat I now have is better for fishing but the Coral could hold its own. The Coral's extra seating and nice boarding ladder came in handy for many enjoyable days cruising and pulling water toys. Many people put down fish & ski boats but they have a purpose. My personal take is I liked the Coral because it wasn't mostly ski boat and just a little fish boat like some of the fish & ski boats are. With a 25P Tempest prop my Coral would jump out of the hole, cruise at 47 mph (gps) at only 4000 rpm, get on down the lake at upper 60s to 70 miles per hour depending on load, and it had a decent rough water ride. The walk through windshield was nice on bad weather days and I can tell you on some of the cold weather or rainy tournaments I fished I know some of the bass boat guys were wishing they had the windshield. Maybe some day a manufacturer will come out with a Fish & Ski design that isn't mostly ski with fishing as an afterthought.
    Don’t think I’ve ever seen a Coral 202 Fish N Boat on the lakes that I fish. Nice boat though!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12