Out of state purchase

Anyone bought a boat out of state lately. I’m looking at 2 one is used one is new they are 6400 dollars difference. No big deal the kicker is TTL Do I owe TTL on the entire price of the used one since it’s out of state or just the trailer as if I bought it in Louisiana from an individual? That’s the decision maker for which one I choose if I only pay TTL on the trailer for the used one ok but full TTL on the used one like I have to on the new one then I will buy new
    2020 Bass Cat Lynx DC Mercury 300. Dual Hummingbird Solix 12’s

2. Member
    I bought my boat out of Mississippi - cash deal from an individual - 3 years ago.

I got lucky, because I did some research and drew up 2 bills of sale - 1)boat & motor 2)trailer. The Boat and motor bill of sale has to run past the LA Department of Revenue first - they'll determine what your tax liability is. In my case I paid $3500 for the whole package so I broke it out where the Boat & Motor portion was under some threshold they had where I didn't owe tax - I think it was something like $2700 for the boat and motor, and the remainder was the value I put on the trailer. You can call them and run a what-if past them - https://revenue.louisiana.gov/Indivi...atRegistration 225-952-2502

You register the trailer at the DMV just like any other trailer, so having a separate value there will help you. In my case - Mississippi doesn't title boat trailers, so I had to get the registration from the seller and turn it in so LA would issue me a title when I registered it here.

Tip - you need the out of state registration card for the boat registration so you can turn it in to the LA DWF. Also - determine if the motor has its own title in the state you're buying from - some do, some don't. Most important - list serial numbers on your bills of sale, and get them notarized.

3. Member
    I think I misread your question - You have 2 boats @ $6400 - one used, one new? Tax now depends on if it is being sold by a dealer or an individual "Casual seller". Tax rate on a dealer sale is 4.45% for the boat/motor I think. There's no tax due on individual boat sales. Now, I don't know how it works if it is a used boat being sold by a dealer - but I'm guessing it is still taxed for the value of the boat. Regardless - you'll still need to turn in a form R-1331 to the dept of revenue, and take a copy to DWF to submit for registration.

You'll still need a value on the trailer by itself for the DMV when registering the trailer.

Yea one boat is new from a dealer the other boat is an Individual selling it. The asking price is 6400 difference between the 2 but the taxes are a killer on the new boat and would be on the used if I have to pay on that one too if not then the saving of used boat VS new is 14000 with TTL and a sales tax 8.7% in my parish. Where is the 4% coming from I thought it was parish taxes that were required?

5. Member
    Your 8.7% includes the state, the way I understand it. Louisiana state sales tax happens to be 4.45% right now too, so Inguess it all lines up.

No taxes due on the used rig.

Gotcha. Thank y’all

7. Member
    no taxes on used out of state purchase from individual. But I would get notarized bill of sales for the motor, boat, and trailer. invidividually. Whether if their state requires registration or not. And get duplicates of all paperwork.

8. Member
    Also - the DWF has a nice Bill of sale form for the boat/motor to use if you don't have one. You could edit this one to make the one for the trailer.

https://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/assets...boat-motor.pdf

Might need to edit it to the state you plan on doing the purchase and have it notarized.

Thanks everyone

Person to person sales (including out of state) are subject to state sales at at 4%…

Everything you want to know regarding the tax is on this page
    https://revenue.louisiana.gov/Faq/Qu...sAndAnswers/60

Screenshot
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barchief View Post
    Person to person sales (including out of state) are subject to state sales at at 4%…

Everything you want to know regarding the tax is on this page
    https://revenue.louisiana.gov/Faq/Qu...sAndAnswers/60
    that’s not correct - their own page referenced on the link you sent states the 4% is now exempt except on boats sold in a narrow window in April 2016-June 2016. Everything else is exempt.
    https://www.revenue.louisiana.gov/Faq/Details/3489

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky View Post
    that’s not correct - their own page referenced on the link you sent states the 4% is now exempt except on boats sold in a narrow window in April 2016-June 2016. Everything else is exempt.
    https://www.revenue.louisiana.gov/Faq/Details/3489
    Thanks.. I stand corrected... missed that window part!

found this to further complicate things...
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. Member
    Yeah - it's confusing. I think there are portions of these pages that are from different eras. Best thing to do is call the LDR and get the info.

The window in 2016 thing - that was something that came about after Edwards was in office, and it got turned back around really damn quick after there was a lot of uproar, both from private sellers and from dealers. If a seller can't unload his current boat easily, or can get more private sale than a dealer can offer on trade, it put the dealers at a disadvantage on that guy coming and buying that new boat from them. Fastest I've ever seen legislation get turned around in this state!

17. Member
    Like it was said before if you buy from a dealer anywhere you pay taxes. If you buy from an individual you pay no taxes but you have to get the paper work filled out and recorded by your parish and state then you can go to wildlife fisheries for registration and dmv for trailer. Which require fees for each. It will still cost but not as much but the dmv will go by the bill of sale.