No Cotter Pin Holding Hub Castle Nut

I'm pulling my Karavan BT apart to service the wheel bearing. The castle nut isn't locked by a cotter pin (see picture). They used a thick, almost nail like pin instead. The pin does look as if it was installed originally. I needed to use a small diameter drift pin to drive it out. I'm assuming it's designed to block most of the marine grease applied via the front spindle zerk fitting so it gets redirected to the rear spindle grease hole. The hole for this pin goes right thru the center of the spindle grease hole. My dust cap says Knott so I'm assuming they are the hub manufacturer?

I'd really like to get a new pin and not use a cotter pin. Anyone have experience either way with this setup? Could not find any reference to this online via parts suppliers. The trailer was manufactured in 2009.

Thx.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is there any disadvantage to using a cotter pin? Plentiful at hardware stores and can keep spares on hand. I keep a baggie of them with the spare bearings/races/inner seals, etc.

If you do find a supplier for the pin, better buy several!
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

3. Member
    Looks like gravity and a little friction keeps it in. I think I'd use a cotter pin. Keep me informed, it's (old) new technology to me.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​