Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Mirage + are excellent props, when used for the appropriate type of boat/hull. Primarily designed for high-horsepower, HEAVY/LARGE hulls that take a lot to get them up out of the water.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member
    My 14 diameter 19 pitch aluminum was taken off last night and I put a 15 and a 1/2 diameter 17 pitch Mirage plus I went from 34 miles an hour to 43 and am faster out of the hole it turns better too

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Awesome! Sounds like your boat really likes the blade area of the Mirage +

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Still only at 5000 rpm tho not the 5300 to 5800 as suggested wot

5. Member
    tach checked for accuracy ???????
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1... really need RPM figures from one of these:

-Smartcraft Instrument or Device

-Inductive Pickup Tachometer

IF those are accurate, then perhaps consider a 15P Mirage.

7. Member
    ive had a couple different tachs in the boat all reading the same.. and the tach is super accurate for the factory rpm idle and high idle ...and the tach does read different when changing prop pitch and diameter in the amount said to expect ..without those devices in hand id bet that the tach is accurate ... just really didnt expect to go to such a low pitch prop such as 15 with this 225 on my 1993 22.5 seapro 220WA...if i go to a 15 pitch is that gonna be a smaller diameter such as maybe 13 D ? my 19 P stilleto is 14 D and my 17 P mirage plus is 15.5 D i believe... is that just the way it works? or will i be looking for a 15P prop that is still in the 15D ?

8. Member
    still be a 15.5 for a MIRAGE 15 pitch
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

Diameter is what it is... and most commonly you'll see in that prop series the diameter and pitch run inversely (ie: Lower Pitch = Larger Diameter, Higher Pitch = Lower Diameter). This is the case with most prop lines.

I've had a couple 23' boats with a 225 Opti... 15P Mirage on both.

10. Member
    you guys are the freakin bomb...thank you all a million for the help ...i will return the favor and help where i can.. fairly competent with the 2.5 L motors ..this 3L is my next information puddle that im gonna sponge up lol

11. Member
    with that being said ..this is a completely bone stock 3L with 330 hours ..runs like new new ... is there anything i should be mindful with them? things that may need to get an upgrade to a better quality part for safety or performance? oil impellor? fiberglass reeds?

i ran the motor with the cowel off when diagnosing the stator issue ...it had OODLES more snap and jump out of the hole with cowel off ..seems it enjoyed the more airflow ...was thinking a 1.5in hole saw to make a 2 holes above flywheel to help with air flow and possibly keep the stator a lil cooler...i have read the mods page with the how to vent cowel ..curious if this might render same effect yet add cooling to the stator?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DevonArden View Post
    with that being said ..this is a completely bone stock 3L with 330 hours ..runs like new new ... is there anything i should be mindful with them? things that may need to get an upgrade to a better quality part for safety or performance? oil impellor? fiberglass reeds?

i ran the motor with the cowel off when diagnosing the stator issue ...it had OODLES more snap and jump out of the hole with cowel off ..seems it enjoyed the more airflow ...was thinking a 1.5in hole saw to make a 2 holes above flywheel to help with air flow and possibly keep the stator a lil cooler...i have read the mods page with the how to vent cowel ..curious if this might render same effect yet add cooling to the stator?
    Personally I wouldn't mod anything. You've got a good running motor that will serve you well for many years if ya take care of it! Run good gas, add Don's cocktail, make sure engine is coming up to proper temps before hammering down and always let it temp cycle when ya come off a long hard run. Just take care if it and it will last a long time!

13. Member
    i am unfamiliar with dons cocktail?

Quote Originally Posted by DevonArden View Post
    i am unfamiliar with dons cocktail?

"Mercury Component Cocktail"- for EVERY tank of fuel, whether or not your fuel contains Ethanol: (Chemically, this works much the same as the previously recommended (and now to avoid alcohol content) cocktail, and requires less components.) This is Don's Preferred "Cocktail":

-1oz Mercury QuickCare +
    -1oz Mercury QuickLeen
    ----------------------------
    Per 5 Gallons of Fuel (in EVERY TANK).

In addition to the above, it is acceptable to add 150:1 mix of Premium PLUS in the fuel tank (for OPTIMAX engine models). This has been proven to benefit fuel system components by providing additional lubrication ONLY to the fuel system components (especially the direct injectors- which are often left DRY after engine shutdown).

(If leaving fuel in boat for more than 30 days, be sure to also add Mercury QuickStor).

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

15. Member
    Thank you very much for all the help I have one final question I would feel silly to start a whole new thread for it... my motor is a 95 or 96 225 EFI 3 liter ..I have found a 1999 225 efi same motor...is there any difference with those years? ..or will it be an excellent parts motor ? I can get whole motor and control for 500 just wanna be sure the lower unit and things match...he said he believes his oiler failed tick tick tick boom ..hasn't dove into it to see the damage but ..

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If the "oiler" failed you can count on the powerhead being a pile of rubble. Far too many single or two cylinder failures get blamed on oil pumps when in fact it's very seldom the case (especially on this engine).

There will be a few subtle differences: Some of the ignition system/ECU's, Stator, CDM's, and the adapter plate/exhaust tuner, etc. are different.

17. Member
    He corrected himself last night it's not an EFI it's a computerized Ignition I would assume carbureted

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123