Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Told ya it was pretty easy- and as you found, usually pretty straightforward once you start testing it (as long as it's not an "intermittent" problem).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    5 good ones varies from 0.899 to 1.015 . With one lead showing OL 650 for a new one 175 for a used

Quote Originally Posted by DevonArden View Post
    5 good ones varies from 0.899 to 1.015 . With one lead showing OL 650 for a new one 175 for a used
    New one will have a warranty and used one will be, well... used (and could crap out 30 days after you install it).

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

5. Member
    Agreed ..I just ordered it ...the guy I bought motor from is incredible..he's offered to pay for the whole stator ...I told him we can go halfers I'm not greedy a used motor shouldn't have any kind of guarantee but im happy for halters... the used one my buddy says he will go halfers with me to be able to get the boat going for the weekend...as the new one is 3 weeks away...being that these motors tend to consume stator not a bad idea to have a spare for 175 bucks

Quote Originally Posted by DevonArden View Post
    Agreed ..I just ordered it ...the guy I bought motor from is incredible..he's offered to pay for the whole stator ...I told him we can go halfers I'm not greedy a used motor shouldn't have any kind of guarantee but im happy for halters... the used one my buddy says he will go halfers with me to be able to get the boat going for the weekend...as the new one is 3 weeks away...being that these motors tend to consume stator not a bad idea to have a spare for 175 bucks
    Sounds like a win - win.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

7. Member
    Awesome on the seller and great outcome, smart move on having a spare.

8. Member
    thats what i thought ...guy is 3 hour drive from me ...back yard outboard mechanic...has like 50 motors atleast...last time i saw him i got what looked like a brand new stator, 2 powerpacks ,a trigger and rectifiers for my 200 blackmax and he dinged me 300 bucks...i will keep his number forever lol

9. Member
    they probably will be no longer available very soon , so 2 is good
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

10. Member
    Why do you say that? At the plant in Wisconsin they had 10 available in the morning when I started looking ...by 2 pm they had 5 left ..something tells me if mercury is making money ..and a lot of it bye selling these stator..they prolly keep making them

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I'll go out on a limb here and say (with confidence) that the 3L CDM-Ignition stator has not been, and is not currently even close to something that is on the "radar" as a profit strategy.

They also are not a real fast selling part- for an engine series that is 20+ years out of production. When they are discontinued, there will still be aftermarket options out there, more than likely.

Admittedly, I've made a little money on those stators myself, since I've actually sold two (2) of them in the span of my career.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

12. Member
    Well they are selling like hotcakes out of the plant in Wisconsin..like I said ..11 available at 10 am and only 4 or 5 left by 2 pm ...better get my hands on a few ..

Motor is running great ..on the low side f the WOT....5200 to 5300 with a aluminum 14Dx19P merc prop.i have a stainless matching dimensions and pitch prop it's a stiletto 10319 14x19p but it has venting and different cupping ..we will see if that brings up the WOT more towards the 5600 to 5800 ...also looking at a 15D 17P for when doing tubing and other sport camping weekends..

So far absolutely in love with my 3L merc...she's mean sounding ...definitely has more get up and go with the hood off ...I may add a 6 pack of 2 inch holes on the front boat side of the cowel..infront of intake..cover holes with a nice black stainless mesh

13. Member
    +1 spare

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not too fond of the Stiletto... but hey, you have it so give it a try. Probably not going to be the magic you'd like, but it's a shiny wheel.

15. Member
    I have found somebody with a 15 and a 1/2 diameter 17 pitch Mercury Mirage plus Stainless steel propeller for 250 bucks no marks never repaired And already has the proper hub … good propeller? How do you feel about the Mirage plus

16. Member
    What is it you don't like about the stiletto props?

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Primarily the prop itself (material quality/durability, overall performance). They do shine in the price area, though.

18. Member
    ^^^^^^^^ +1.75:1 ^^^^^^^^

19. Member
    Not sure what this means JOE.

Any one familiar with or know if a Mirage plus a good prop?

20. Member
    means i agree also

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast