Thread: Climbing Sticks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Climbing Sticks

Do any of you guys use climbing sticks for a “run and gun” type setup? If you do; what kind do you use, and how do you carry them up the tree quietly while attaching them? Curious as to how one does that quietly. I’ve always used the 20’ ladder sticks instead of the smaller portable ones.
    Matthew 28:20
    teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I commanded you: and lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world.

I have used Gorilla aluminum climbing sticks in past years in conjunction with a lightweight hang-on stand. They worked fine for what I was doing, but I have since moved to a climber. The hang-on with sticks is more versatile, but I got tired of lugging around extra parts. Was difficult packing the sticks where they did not make racket, and also had to figure out how to fasten them to the stand for packing. If you have an area with no suitable trees for climber, it is a viable option.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

Thanks for the reply. I hunt a small 35 acre parcel and was looking for something quieter than my viper. I love the viper and it’s not terribly loud but all climbers make noise. Just curious if sticks and a light lock on would be better.

4. Member
    Lone Wolf sticks and hang on. Pricey but worth it, only draw back is the sticks have rather small steps. Can be a pain to climb in some boots.

Quote Originally Posted by coreyl65 View Post
    Lone Wolf sticks and hang on. Pricey but worth it, only draw back is the sticks have rather small steps. Can be a pain to climb in some boots.
    You have a method you’d like to share for getting the sticks up the tree quietly as you’re climbing/hanging them?

I have several climbing sticks up the tree and leave them. I have the Summit, (raptor) I think. Its the light weight hang-on that has a strap with a bracket you leave in the tree and just lock the stand into a steel bracket. Pretty slick and much quieter than a climber.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonpride40 View Post
    You have a method you’d like to share for getting the sticks up the tree quietly as you’re climbing/hanging them?
    Lots of practice. No real trick to it, I practice in the yard before the season to get back into it.

Gotcha. Makes sense. Thank you sir.

9. Member
    Watch the hunting public on YouTube they do the running an gunning with as minimal equipment, they also have it figured out.

10. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    I use the Helium stick. I use the three step and my son who is much more flexible uses the 2 step. Having a step on both sides was a bid plus for me. Both of us use adders on the bottom step of each stick so we can get the extra height.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
    I use the Helium stick. I use the three step and my son who is much more flexible uses the 2 step. Having a step on both sides was a bid plus for me. Both of us use adders on the bottom step of each stick so we can get the extra height.
    You guys are happy with the Heliums? I would opt for the three step also. I just like the extra positioning and love the idea of having a step on each side.

12. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    You guys are happy with the Heliums? I would opt for the three step also. I just like the extra positioning and love the idea of having a step on each side.
    Very happy with them
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC

Bring Back Gluten!!!

Very happy with them
    Awesome. I keep coming back to them. Like what they have to offer.

14. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Awesome. I keep coming back to them. Like what they have to offer.
    Get some Amstel and make the adders gets one an extra 4’ out of three sticks. I carry 4.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC

Bring Back Gluten!!!

15. Member
    What kind of safety harness/ linesman’s rope do y’all prefer when putting up steps as you climb and then attaching the lock on to the tree

16. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Make your own belt, use a rope man 1
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC

Bring Back Gluten!!!

Make your own belt, use a rope man 1
    Yessir. That’s what I’ve been using for a while.

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    Take a look at Trekballs! If treking a lot these are fantastic! They work great with Leki poles.
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

19. Member
    This is a pretty good video:

I have a set of lone wolf 3-step sticks that are pretty good and reasonably light, but I think my method works with most brands. I dont like the length of 3-step sticks carrying them, as its hard to get them low profile enough not to snag on brush and be really quiet, but if you have good entry path and arent going far they are faster to climb with.

This is how I carry everything: I use the strap attached to the sticks to stack them, and then strap them vertically on my stand using the stands ratchet-strap with the offset brackets bridging the post. I use a bungee to hold my backpack to the stand next to sticks (pack hangs from the grab loop right from the sticks, bungee just holds it in place), and pack the whole kit that way.
    I’m playing with shorter sticks with an aider and single stick climbing to be more snag-free walking in brush as well as lighter, but I’m not dialed enough to really recommend anything there. With the shorter sticks Im finding carrying them horizontally across the bottom of the stand is the most snag-free.

On the climb I use a linemans belt, and clip the 2 sticks I need to carry to a gear loop on my harness using a carabiner. Each stick I permanently tied a 3mm cord loop to the top offset-bracket so I can clip to my gear loops. At the tree, place each stick on the ground and put the stand on your back. Bow and backpack on your haul-cord. 1st stick goes on tree. 2nd stick clipped on your left side. 3rd stick clipped on the right side. Last stick leans against bottom of tree with the end of the strap clipped to your harness or just looped over the top of the stick on the tree. Climb the first stick and lean onto linemans belt. Grab the loose end of the strap to Pull up the last stick and place it. Repeat, but pulling remaining sticks off your gear loops. At the top of last stick, place the stand on the tree, climb in, attach your tether and remove and stow your linemans belt, pull up the pack/bow, and hunt. The sticks and stand never contact each other so should be very quiet. Simply reverse on the way down. If Im hiking a ways in, I usually only bring three sticks with an aider on the first one only. The video is exactly how I do it except I will put 1 or 2 sticks on my harness and only leave 1 at the base.

If you practice you’ll be start to finish in well under 10 min up a simple tree. I hunt out of hemlocks a lot that almost always have lots of branches, and on public theres no trimming allowed—those trees arent quite as fast to climb but same idea, and thats where sticks really shine. Scouting and prepping trees in the off season is great practice—instead of Leaving a bunch of stands hung you can have pre-prepped stand trees and one or two really nice stands. I have probably 30+ prepped stand trees around me for different areas, times of year, wind conditions, etc. with no pressure to pull stands or even hunt them in any given season, plus the ability to hunt anywhere the sign looks good.
    Last edited by MacIntosh; 07-19-2021 at 08:47 PM.

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast