Thread: Vessel View

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario

Vessel View

Are all Optimax engines compatible with Vessel View? I see on the Merc web page that all motors 2004 and up are compatible. I've always thought my 90 hp Optimax motor was a 2004 motor but the owner's manual that came with it is copyrighted 2003. Do I have a reason to be concerned?

Not all are compatible. Post the serial number and an expert will tell you for sure.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Not all are compatible. Post the serial number and an expert will tell you for sure.
    Good idea, my serial number is OT869396.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    0T869396 was built on 9/14/2003.

It should be fully compatible with the Vesselview Mobile (but will not, however, have some of the "Descriptive Fault Text" features that later model engines provide).
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 07-21-2021 at 09:53 AM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    0T869396 was built on 9/14/2003.

It should be fully compatible with the Vesselview Mobile (but will not, however, have some of the "Descriptive Fault Text" features that later model engines provide).
    Thank you
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 07-21-2021 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Date

I purchased the Vessel View and it was an easy installation, except that my Optimax only had the weather cover on the 10 pin and not the terminator so I had to purchase one. Anyway, upon syncing I had the following warnings;
    Engine Sensor; 1012-25 engine or drive trim position
    Sea water temperature sensor is not working properly 541-24
    Low sensor tank A 701-24 Fuel level sensor is not working properly
    Pitot pressure sensor is not working properly 451-25
    Oil level sensor 711-24 is not working properly

I believe it is the last fault that is triggering the warning beep when going over a big wave. So are the other sensors not hooked up on my motor? Obviously I will make an appointment to have my motor serviced. Thanks for any input. Motor has 671 hours on it.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Those may all be "ghost" faults (meaning faults that are triggered by optional sensors not installed on your system).

Ghost faults do not trigger a warning horn.

The fault that did cause a warning horn would have to occur AGAIN to see it as an active fault.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Those may all be "ghost" faults (meaning faults that are triggered by optional sensors not installed on your system).

Ghost faults do not trigger a warning horn.

The fault that did cause a warning horn would have to occur AGAIN to see it as an active fault.
    Thanks Don, this is very helpful. I am pretty certain that I can trigger a warning horn. All I need is a wake boat and we have plenty of those on Smith Mountain Lake.