Trolling Motor Fuse

1998 187 with a Merc 175 efi.

Went out today to clean the boat and charge the batteries and when I plugged the charger in it sounds like it is working but no lights come on and when I checked the battery voltage, 2 volts. So I figured it is the original charger, I can replace it but I also decided to clean the electrical connection. In the picture below, one red wire that looks like it comes from the charger was on one terminal and the other had a red wire going to one of the batteries, 24v trolling motor. When I took the entire plate off because one terminal wouldn't turn, I find nothing connected to the fuse. Can someone explain or show a diagram of how this should be wired up please?
    IMG-0051 (1).jpg Front

IMG-0053.jpg Back. Nothing was connected back here
    Last edited by DaleMc0622; 07-10-2021 at 06:33 PM.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    There are two breakers on that plate. Boat probably had a 12/24 motor originally. One breaker failed and was replaced with a different type.

How many wires go from the batteries to the bow?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    looks like 2. Replacing the breaker I put it between the positive post and trolling motor right?

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleMc0622 View Post
    looks like 2. Replacing the breaker I put it between the positive post and trolling motor right?
    You only need one breaker.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    Thanks, just ordered one.

6. Member
    What trolling motor do you have installed? If by chance you have or going to upgrade your trolling motor to a Ultrex or Ghost, you may want to upsize your breaker to a 60 amp while you are in there.

7. Member
    Thanks Champ, the boat has a Minn Kota Maxxum Pro 80 Lb Thrust that is in great working order so no upgrade yet. I located it in a easy spot to get to.

8. Member

9. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Here's a diagram for wiring a 24v trolling motor. My question is, how long have you had this boat? I would think if it has worked in the past that it should be wired correctly. Also before you go buying a charger, make sure your issue is not your batteries. Minn Kota does require a 60A breaker for the Maxxum 80

10. Member
    Bought the boat in April but only have had it in the water twice. I have tested the charger and it is bad, the original 1998 champ charger so it lasted longer than I would have thought it would. I understand the wiring but I was confused about a breaker not hooked up but someone pointed out the original trolling motor was 12/24 and someone just replaced the breaker. They left all the original wiring from the 12/24 and when I pulled the old wired I just needed to make sure I understood but I got it now. I have read two different things about the two bank charger but the old one was one bank to each battery and no cutout on the jumper, I have read where some say you should disconnect the two batteries to charge but I don't think that is right. Thanks for all the responses guys, hoping to finally get to use this thing some. Did have time to set up some of my tackle though.
    IMG-0132 (2).jpg
    IMG-0172.jpg

11. Member
    Good looking boat. Glad you got it figured out.

Ronnie
    2006 Champion 198 DCX Elite / Mercury 225 Pro XS

12. Member
    UPDATE
    It appeared that the previous owner put two "economy" interstate Cranking (not deep cycle) batteries on the trolling motor, I guess to save money to sell the boat and I left my trolling motor in the "mom" mode and not off and left the speed setting on which apparently allowed the batteries to draw down. I installed to Deep cycle 27's this evening and reconnected the old (original) Champion charger and it works fine. Apparently if the batteries get below a certain voltage, it charger will not charge, a friend of mine said that today which is why I tried it.
    Next dilemma, I think having the original charger on the boat is damn cool especially since it still works fine but I had already bought a new one. What do you guys think about just putting in-line fuses on the old charger which it doesn't have not and return the new one? Or just keep the new one for the day the original quits? Anyway, new breaker, new batteries, life is good. Thanks for the input.

13. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    ... I installed to Deep cycle 27's this evening and reconnected the old (original) Champion charger and it works fine.
    Glad you're back in business!

... Apparently if the batteries get below a certain voltage, it charger will not charge, a friend of mine said that today which is why I tried it.
    That's why you always eliminate the batteries first ...

... Next dilemma, I think having the original charger on the boat is damn cool especially since it still works fine but I had already bought a new one. What do you guys think about just putting in-line fuses on the old charger which it doesn't have not and return the new one?
    That sounds like a plan. Those Dual Pros are pretty bullet proof. The only drawback is the original ChampioN chargers were 2 bank Dual Pro, which means you need to come up with something to charge the cranking battery. 15A in-line fuses on the positive leads will protect the output.

14. Member
    Thanks Tx Champ, I have decided to store the new charger and keep using the original, I was going to ask about what size in-line to use. Why do the new ones come with fuses on Positive and negative?

15. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Thanks Tx Champ, I have decided to store the new charger and keep using the original, I was going to ask about what size in-line to use. Why do the new ones come with fuses on Positive and negative?
    No idea, but not needed.