Braid and Guide Wear

So I am going to venture into using braid on my NRX rods. Do any of you guys have grooves in your guides from using braid on your NRX rods or any rods as a matter of fact? If it is an issue what do you do to resolve this problem, or is this not an issue. Thanks for any info in advance.

2. Member
    I have used braid on a variety of rods without any problems. Since Shimano owns both Loomis and Power-Pro, I can't imagine they would make a top-end rod without guides that are made to handle braided line.

3. Member
    I have never had braid damage a guide.

4. Member
    My first thought was “what does rain gear and fishing line have to do with each other.
    To answer your question, never had a problem using braid on any of my NRX rods.Been on 2 of them for years.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggerjake View Post
    My first thought was “what does rain gear and fishing line have to do with each other.
    To answer your question, never had a problem using braid on any of my NRX rods.Been on 2 of them for years.
    LOL...yeppers. Guide wear/damage can occur when particulates attached to braid or any other line or debris (such as moss/grass/cotton/etc.) are continuously run through the guide
    s.

6. Member
    I had an old hand me down rod that I used as a flipping stick 20 years ago that did get a lot of guide wear from braid. I have never had the problem since. Todays guides are good to go.

7. Member
    Not an issue on today's rods, even the cheaper ones

8. Member
    Thanks for all of the input. So braid it is.

9. Big Fish in a Small Pond hoohoorjoo's Avatar
    What grooves guides is silt or sediment suspended in the water that collects on the line and acts as an abrasive when line is reeled up. I have personally seen the recoil guides grooved from this on 3 separate rods (belonged to someone else, not me). Warranty covered that in each case, but I don't see me spending top-tier money on a rod, then having to go thru warranty process for it. Besides that, I use braid almost exclusively. I cant stand the way that braid sounds going thru those recoils! It's like nails across the chalkboard. I have used braid on rods with cheap aluminum oxide guides literally for years with no adverse effects.
    The best revenge is to have enough self-worth not to seek it.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoohoorjoo View Post
    What grooves guides is silt or sediment suspended in the water that collects on the line and acts as an abrasive when line is reeled up. I have personally seen the recoil guides grooved from this on 3 separate rods (belonged to someone else, not me). Warranty covered that in each case, but I don't see me spending top-tier money on a rod, then having to go thru warranty process for it. Besides that, I use braid almost exclusively. I cant stand the way that braid sounds going thru those recoils! It's like nails across the chalkboard. I have used braid on rods with cheap aluminum oxide guides literally for years with no adverse effects.
    Yeppers...I have NEVER grooved a ceramic eyelet...steel guides like Recoils and (my first bass rods were 1980s Berkley rods), yeah after a few years the guides show wear.

11. Member
    A rod that costs that much better not have a problem with braided line, the guides on my $50 rods have no trouble with braid.