Dumb question from a potential Panoptics buyer

I have become really spoiled using the spot lock feature on my TM, in part i think because of my age (mid 60's) but regardless I use it a lot.
    So how does one use Panoptics effectively when the TM is constantly adjusting for position when on lock?

2. Member
    I put my live scope on a pole.

It's useful because it confirms your 44' from the structure not just the way point, if you come from down wind it will wonder around and keep scanning the brush pile. No reason to stair at the scene all day, your neck will hurt. Plenty useful on the tm or get an extra pole.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

4. Member
    Livescanner !

5. Member
    Perfectly reasonable question. There are really two options; leave the transducer on the trolling motor and know that you'll have to stop anchor lock to scan around or get a mounting pole so that the transducer movement is independent of the trolling motor.

I had a mounting pole from ALL ABOARD when I first got Livescope. I now have the transducer on the trolling motor and find that it fits me better for bass fishing. I really like the idea of moving the Livescope independently but I found it was just too much to deal with when fishing. It's really just a preference. It is nice to have the pole if you're spot locked and targeting a specific target offshore or crappie fishing around cover but it's a lot to mess with when you're power fishing for bass.

Since I've moved it to the trolling motor I've noticed that it's easier to adjust trolling motor to scan area and then reengage spot lock than it was to adjust pole. I've also seen some things I might've missed while spot lock "auto scanned" for me.

6. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar

7. Member
    With livescope I use spot lock far less often than I used to. I still use it, but with livescope I am more frequently adjusting the boat based on where I'm seeing fish or structure.

8. Member
    I simply don't use my spot lock when using livescope. I need to reposition both the boat and the transducer a lot. I tried a separate pole, and hated it. Too much time with right hand off the rod.

9. Banned
    Separate pole for me. It's the best thing I've done since getting LS for crappie fishing. Now I can lock on a point and fish anything around me.

I fished with a guy how installed a Cornfield Crappie livesweep and I'm having my electronics guy install one for me. Both hands on the rod if needed and still look around while on spot lock.

I have only had my LiveScope a couple months but researched enough prior to purchasing to decide that I did not want the transducer on my Ultrex shaft.
    I also wanted both hands free so I made a foot switch controlled powered pole. Works great and relatively inexpensive.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
    I simply don't use my spot lock when using livescope. I need to reposition both the boat and the transducer a lot. I tried a separate pole, and hated it. Too much time with right hand off the rod.
    so since I have a Fortrex with livescope there is zero reason for me to get a ultrex since I am using livescope the whole day -correct?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by creekchub View Post
    so since I have a Fortrex with livescope there is zero reason for me to get a ultrex since I am using livescope the whole day -correct?
    I am pretty close to 100% crappie fisherman. If I did more bass fishing, I am sure I would want spot lock. As it is, I only now use it when fishing shallow in the Spring. Hard for me to answer for you, but if you are using Livescope 100% of the time, I would say you can keep the Fortrex, and you will like livescope adjustment better on the Fortrex as well.

13. Member
    I can not go away from using spot lock. I do disengage, look around to find the fish and then lock again. The comment about your neck is going to hurt is the TRUTH... Some day I will get a post to move my garmin to my standing height LOL.