Thread: Palatka Fishing

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    16 pounds is still good for this time of year. Y'all looked like you had a pretty good number of boats show up.
    We have a hard time getting boats to fish with us but that's the way it goes I guess, lol. We'll both be at PDC next month at the same time again. See you then
    Stroker / 250xs
    Triton 180 / 175 pro xs

Quote Originally Posted by MARK R View Post
    16 pounds is still good for this time of year. Y'all looked like you had a pretty good number of boats show up.
    We have a hard time getting boats to fish with us but that's the way it goes I guess, lol. We'll both be at PDC next month at the same time again. See you then

sounds good.

We had 30 anglers fish, probably 25 boats.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

3. Member
    Im open to looking at other areas, just want to be within a 30 min drive to some great fishing, and not be in a big city area..
    Jimmy
    Phoenix 721
    12" Bobs Hydro Plate
    Mercury 300 Xs
    Dave Bush Racing Kit
    28.5 Bravo

4. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Look around Mt Dora, it’s a beautiful place to live and you’re within an hour and a half of more good lakes than you can imagine! My tournament last month was further north in Astor. 3 fish limit (we do this June, July and August since we are a coangler club) and out of 20 boats 2nd place was 5lbs! People simply weren’t catching fish!

I had a lucky golden hotshot shoved somewhere since I caught 17 keepers and weighed in 14.4 with a 9.25 big bass. Yeah that day made me feel pretty good. Back to reality Sunday when Lake Harris beats me to a pulp!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

5. Member
    There is nothing wrong with the Palatka/ Welatka area, just don't expect to see the great easy fishing that there once was. Great fishing can still be had but it's a lot tougher than it was historically. I always thought that Welatka would be a great place to retire to but I'm afraid No my Morris is going to mess that up.
    Stroker / 250xs
    Triton 180 / 175 pro xs

6. Member
    Can't edit. Meant to say Johnny Morris
    Stroker / 250xs
    Triton 180 / 175 pro xs

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    Look around Mt Dora, it’s a beautiful place to live and you’re within an hour and a half of more good lakes than you can imagine! My tournament last month was further north in Astor. 3 fish limit (we do this June, July and August since we are a coangler club) and out of 20 boats 2nd place was 5lbs! People simply weren’t catching fish!

I had a lucky golden hotshot shoved somewhere since I caught 17 keepers and weighed in 14.4 with a 9.25 big bass. Yeah that day made me feel pretty good. Back to reality Sunday when Lake Harris beats me to a pulp!
    Im within 90 mins of great fishing lakes here (Rayburn, Toledo and Kurth), and the drive is whats killing me on the trips. 5 back surgeries makes it hard driving 3+ hours round trip and a full day of fishing. I want somewhere around a 30 min drive if possible, thats the main reason for selling my place here and looking elsewhere. Land/houses are very hard to find around Rayburn unless you have deep pockets. Plus, I have been in Tx for most of my 54 yrs and ready for a change....Appreciate all the info and suggestions! Its just hard to find a place when you dont know anything about the area you are looking at...I will normally be fishing during the week when hopefully there isnt as much pressure. I took my medical retirement back in Nov to try to enjoy life/fishing before I get to where I cant anymore.
    Jimmy
    Phoenix 721
    12" Bobs Hydro Plate
    Mercury 300 Xs
    Dave Bush Racing Kit
    28.5 Bravo

8. Member
    Becky Williams, Realtor, 352-213-4200. Palatka / Putnam area. Also keeps track of most tournaments in N Florida.
    Stroker / 250xs
    Triton 180 / 175 pro xs

9. Member
    Appreciate it Mark
    Jimmy
    Phoenix 721
    12" Bobs Hydro Plate
    Mercury 300 Xs
    Dave Bush Racing Kit
    28.5 Bravo

10. Member
    Putnam co. Has some of the lowest tax rates of any of the surrounding countries and as of now not to terribly crowded. Plenty of good fishing within a hr.- hr. And half. Another good area is around wildwood. Sumpter co. I think. Parts still very rural and more great fishing options than you could ever fish.

Was on Lake George some today 7/15...calm as a mirror...dirty brown as a ditch and 92 shallow degrees... only a fraction of its 2017 or so self...one 16 inch skinny bass.

2018 Z19/200 Optimax 2 stroker 24x3 Fury Ultrex 112
    Lowrance HDS 12/9 Lives with 3 in 1 ducers

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gatrboy52 View Post
    Putnam co. Has some of the lowest tax rates of any of the surrounding countries and as of now not to terribly crowded. Plenty of good fishing within a hr.- hr. And half. Another good area is around wildwood. Sumpter co. I think. Parts still very rural and more great fishing options than you could ever fish.
    That could be due to Putnam being one of the poorest county’s in Florida.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DAC244 View Post
    Does that mean its not a good area? usually poor counties/towns etc relate to higher crimes area. Looking hard at a house in coquinna (sp) crossing...
    Jimmy
    Phoenix 721
    12" Bobs Hydro Plate
    Mercury 300 Xs
    Dave Bush Racing Kit
    28.5 Bravo

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jav400SDC View Post
    Does that mean its not a good area? usually poor counties/towns etc relate to higher crimes area. Looking hard at a house in coquinna (sp) crossing...
    I have a place in Satsuma which is in Putnam County that I spend the winters there! I like it but Putnam is a poor county compared to the rest of Florida. You can google and find all the statistics for Putnam and see how it ranks with the rest of the state.

15. Member
    I wouldn't say Putnam Co is any worse than the rest of Florida. ( You'd have to look at some official numbers). But Putnam does lack in some social services compared to other countries. It also lacks in shopping and dining with a few exceptions. CR 207 is a straight shot to St Augustine so it's not far to all of shopping and dining you want with out StJohns Co's taxes.
    Stroker / 250xs
    Triton 180 / 175 pro xs

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MARK R View Post
    mark who are fishing for. I may going on leakier schedule might have time together into a couple tourneys again. Let me Know feel free to pm contact info

17. Member
    The area you are looking at is about 20 minutes from PCD, and 50 minutes to Rodman. I’ve lived within 10 minutes of Coquina Crossing for the last 7 years. I now recently moved to Green Cove Springs. That area is nice but growing rapidly, the best part is your 10 minutes to anything in St. Augustine, lots of good food and places to go! As far as other places to fish, being right off 95, its 2 hours to Toho, 2 hours to stick marsh, 2.5 ish hours to north end of Okee, and 1.5 hours or so to Harris. It’s good central location if you don’t mind making drives to go to those places. Probably the most affordable area in St. Augustine right now. Good luck with the move, and most of us here will help you out if you have any questions! Also, that 721/300 will fit in just fine on the river, but don’t expect to be the fastest or even close to it! Lol

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DAC244 View Post
    all the better. Personally I like the feel. If you want amenities you can be in st. John's co. In minutes with all the hupla. Johnny Morris is trying to ruin a old Fl. treasure but as of right now it's still a very affordable place to live.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassinloose View Post
    mark who are fishing for. I may going on leakier schedule might have time together into a couple tourneys again. Let me Know feel free to pm contact info
    The monthly tournament I run is Xtreme. We fish the first mweekend of the month between Kenwood, PDC , and a private ramp on the river. Xtreme is the toughest trail in NE Florida so that costs us boats. Last week at Rodman it took 20+ pounds to get a check. Im also tx director for the Rodeheaver Tx which we are moving to the first weekend in April. Rodeheaver is the 2nd biggest and best paying tournament on the river. Your best resource for tournament info is Becky Williams , 352-213-4200. Texting is best. Or you can call me at 904-219-1233
    Stroker / 250xs
    Triton 180 / 175 pro xs

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DTS View Post
    The area you are looking at is about 20 minutes from PCD, and 50 minutes to Rodman. I’ve lived within 10 minutes of Coquina Crossing for the last 7 years. I now recently moved to Green Cove Springs. That area is nice but growing rapidly, the best part is your 10 minutes to anything in St. Augustine, lots of good food and places to go! As far as other places to fish, being right off 95, its 2 hours to Toho, 2 hours to stick marsh, 2.5 ish hours to north end of Okee, and 1.5 hours or so to Harris. It’s good central location if you don’t mind making drives to go to those places. Probably the most affordable area in St. Augustine right now. Good luck with the move, and most of us here will help you out if you have any questions! Also, that 721/300 will fit in just fine on the river, but don’t expect to be the fastest or even close to it! Lol
    Appreciate the info! And yea, I hardly ever run it 85 even here where I know the lakes, cant afford the fuel lol...It will take some getting used to places there, narrow lanes and people running wide open through them...I would be way too nervous to know how deep it is, obstructions etc...
    Jimmy
    Phoenix 721
    12" Bobs Hydro Plate
    Mercury 300 Xs
    Dave Bush Racing Kit
    28.5 Bravo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast