Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario

Warning Horn Signal Question - 90 hp Optimax

2003 90 hp Optimax OT869396. Picked up neighbor from his dock this evening and as I gave it throttle and the front end of the boat raised a bit I heard a single warning beep. Odd I thought but it did no repeat or continue. Just a couple of minutes later I crossed a large wake, again raising the front of the boat, and another single beep. A few miles up lake as I come off plane a continuous beep and the motor goes into idle speed. Uh oh I thought, I must be low on oil. So I returned to the home dock, carefully, just fast enough to be on plane but when I went to fill the oil reservoir it was half full so I was not down to a quart of Opti oil. After filling the tank, headed out again and once again, a single beep when the front of the boat raised but then nothing for the next couple of hours of fishing. So, a sensor issue? An oil pump issue? Something else? Motor is pretty close to original.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

2. Member
    Could have been a compressor overheat (and many other things) did you note whether telltale was strong?
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

The telltale was strong. I definitely checked on that as wasps are a regular issue for those of us who like on the lake and leave out boats on lifts. They love to plug the telltale.

Went out this evening for a short ride and the motor worked fine. One thing I did that I rarely do was to pump the primer bulb until firm before starting the motor.

5. Member
    Good practice to pump bulb prior to every engine start. To know for certain what the alarm was you'd need to have the codes read.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Good practice to pump bulb prior to every engine start. To know for certain what the alarm was you'd need to have the codes read.
    Definitely agree with you on the codes. While slowly overtaking a cruiser making a very large swell, the alarm beeped again today. So I am going to buy a Vessel View module as I've been wanting to do so anyway.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    Definitely agree with you on the codes. While slowly overtaking a cruiser making a very large swell, the alarm beeped again today. So I am going to buy a Vessel View module as I've been wanting to do so anyway.
    Wise move.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

8. Member
    +1
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Vessel View arrives Monday, I will update after installation.

Curious of this as well as I experienced a single beep the very last time I was out. It would happen either when up to speed or after taking a large swell as well. The battery terminals were loose and I didn't have a way to tighten them so I suspect it was probably just that, but it would still be good to know if there is potentially something else I should or could look for while the boat is parked and stationary before I take it out again.
    - 2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL - SOLD
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    Vance 6" hydraulic jack plate
    24P 3 blade Ballistic XHS XL propeller
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    Garmin 126SV/93SV/73SV Livescope/ dual GT54 transducers
    DD26 motor toter
    IG: extremeboating

Quote Originally Posted by Extremeboating View Post
    Curious of this as well as I experienced a single beep the very last time I was out. It would happen either when up to speed or after taking a large swell as well. The battery terminals were loose and I didn't have a way to tighten them so I suspect it was probably just that, but it would still be good to know if there is potentially something else I should or could look for while the boat is parked and stationary before I take it out again.
    I've installed my Vessel View Mobile and Don has recommended that I "recreate" the warning so as to be able to have the fault appear on my phone. I've been trying to avoid the situations that I believe triggered the alarm so now I'm hunting for a wake boat next time out. I will also check my batter connections though, its been awhile.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremeboating View Post
    Please keep in mind the alarm strategies for your 4-stroke and OP's 2-stroke Optimax may have different meanings (completely different PCMs).

Being this forum is primarily for 2-stroke engines under 130hp the best place to post concerns about your engine is the 4-stroke forum.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax