St. Lawrence largemouth fishing...

Yeah I know I'm gonna take a lot of slack for this question but here it is. How difficult is it to find the largies at St. LAWRENCE? Me and my dad are doing a road trip and if we strike out on smallmouth there I'm gonna pull the plug and go largemouth fishing to try and salvage the day. Main reason I'm asking is because I had 2 different friends from my area go up to the St. Lawrence the past 2 weekends and they struggled with smallmouth. I know I've seen videos of Hack and Shryock light up the largemouth at St. LAWRENCE. thanks for any info.

2. Member
    Very easy to find largemouth. Tuck into any bay and fish the grass, docks or any other typical largemouth stuff. Most are unmolested cause everyone sees the pros catching 5-6lb smallies drop shotting in 40’ of water and think that’s what needs to be done. There’s a large number of smallies that live in the 10-15’ range, some even shallower, and the largemouth get forgotten about by the out of staters (who make up majority of the fishing pressure). I think you have a good idea, try for smallies and let the largemouth save the day.

I know of guys who don’t fish there often and whenever they have a club tournament specifically focus on largemouth. Many times they’ve won. almost everyone struggles up there unless they spend days just graphing trying to find fish. It’s not as easy the pros make it seem.. heck I’ve fished 5 tournaments there (BFL, clubs etc). And I’ve only came in with a limit once.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    Very easy to find largemouth. Tuck into any bay and fish the grass, docks or any other typical largemouth stuff. Most are unmolested cause everyone sees the pros catching 5-6lb smallies drop shotting in 40’ of water and think that’s what needs to be done. There’s a large number of smallies that live in the 10-15’ range, some even shallower, and the largemouth get forgotten about by the out of staters (who make up majority of the fishing pressure). I think you have a good idea, try for smallies and let the largemouth save the day.

I know of guys who don’t fish there often and whenever they have a club tournament specifically focus on largemouth. Many times they’ve won. almost everyone struggles up there unless they spend days just graphing trying to find fish. It’s not as easy the pros make it seem.. heck I’ve fished 5 tournaments there (BFL, clubs etc). And I’ve only came in with a limit once.
    Awesome, thanks dude. Yeah I seen hunter shryock video were he gave up on smallmouth and flipped grass for largemouth and caught nice bag. Me and my dad love fishing grass so that will be cool. I remember Hack finished in top 10 one year fishing for largemouth and said he caught over 100 largies on one day of competition. Sign me up for that any day. Thanks again.

4. Member
    pretty underrated as far as largemouth fisheries go, there are plenty of them and they aren't fished for heavily. Plenty of places that will fit the "looks like largemouth heaven" bill that you'll drool over.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by behls16 View Post
    pretty underrated as far as largemouth fisheries go, there are plenty of them and they aren't fished for heavily. Plenty of places that will fit the "looks like largemouth heaven" bill that you'll drool over.
    Sounds good to me. We don't have any" numbers" fisheries in PA except Erie and even then in summer you have to know what your doing. So catching largies will be ok with me. Thanks again.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post

Can anyone recommend a good launching point for out of towners? Preferably a protected one because we have a tin boat with 50hp motor. We won't be running far if we can help it. Somewhere that will put us close to largie land.

goose bay

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom B View Post
    goose bay
    Thanks bud!

9. Member
    I fished the St. Lawrence all last week. Caught some nice large mouth in Chippewa Bay near the municipal launch. Find the weed line at 6-7 FOW and pitch in. Word of warning, there are some sizable pike there too and it may cost you a lure or two. Head to 20 FOW for the smallies, although we did catch some in 8-10 FOW. Water levels are down, so mind your navigation. Some of the shoals I fished in years past there are now above water.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwags13 View Post
    Thanks bud!

Tom is right about Goose, and you can hook a right little down river to Chippewa bay which is 3x bigger but just as many shallow areas with big areas of pads.
    I am glad to hear and see that everyone is having fun up there, and I am hoping that next yr will be a better yr for me with a new right knee and possibly a new right hip.