Better to tow with 15 inch over 17 inch trailer wheels??

I have been discussing with friends what's better to tow with on your trailer 15 inch rims which gives you a little more suspension with your tires or 17 inch rims. Thoughts???

2. Member
    The wheel size itself has no real bearing as it is the tires themselves that determine the properties. Obviously speaking generalities the smaller wheel will have a softer more forgiving sidewall. Imo for a bass boat or even for 1/2 trucks a 15 or 16” wheel is the way to go unless we are talking mud tires. On a bass boat I would prefer a 15 or 16” wheel for sure.

3. Member
    My thoughts? Get the highest load range rating you can find. Use whatever clears the fenders.

4. Member
    But you have to take in account loading and unloading, using a larger diameter tire will also require you to back the trailer farther into the water to launch the boat. I launch in saltwater so I want keep from backing my rear tires into the water and right now my winch and tongue are reachable from dry land when launching, another two feet and I will be standing in the water. One reason I never swapped out my little 13” wheels for larger wheels. If I built an new trailer then yes, I would design it for larger wheels, probably 15”, mainly due to the fact I could use LT tires.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    But you have to take in account loading and unloading, using a larger diameter tire will also require you to back the trailer farther into the water to launch the boat. I launch in saltwater so I want keep from backing my rear tires into the water and right now my winch and tongue are reachable from dry land when launching, another two feet and I will be standing in the water. One reason I never swapped out my little 13” wheels for larger wheels. If I built an new trailer then yes, I would design it for larger wheels, probably 15”, mainly due to the fact I could use LT tires.
    This was discussed in another recent thread. Tire diameter (height) is mostly independent of wheel size. The aspect ratio of the tire is the determining factor. There are differences in the manufacture of LT and ST tires, primarily the ST tires have stronger sidewalls and are designed to dissipate heat better, according to the tire manufacturers.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1134814

6. Member
    If the tire diameter is the same for both I would rather have 15" wheels.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Larry View Post
    This was discussed in another recent thread. Tire diameter (height) is mostly independent of wheel size. The aspect ratio of the tire is the determining factor. There are differences in the manufacture of LT and ST tires, primarily the ST tires have stronger sidewalls and are designed to dissipate heat better, according to the tire manufacturers.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1134814
    I understand aspect ratio, and you are partially right, it’s aspect ratio, which give you the height of the tire then you add the diameter or radius of the wheel. But I can just about guarantee that any 14 or 15 inch wheel/tire combo will be larger than my 13” wheels. I know we are told that trailer tires are have better sidewall and such, but I’ve had many more trailer tires throw a belt or develop a sidewalk bulge than any of my passenger or truck tires. It’s pretty simple, most trailer tires are not made well, nowhere near as well as most LT truck tires. I would love to see the cross sections of the best trailer tires (that we would use such as endurance) compared to a cheaper LT truck tire, bet the LT is made better. Why would trailer tires dissipate heat better, truck tires are usually rated for much higher speeds and are normally used a lot more than trailer tires.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay