Rods on the deck

Hello, I just joined the boating world with a triton sf21, and i was curious as to how you all secure your rods to the deck, i only fish a few tournaments a year and my family loves the water so a fish and ski was my only option! I'd love to see if there are any genius ideas out there.

2. Member
    Congrats on the boat.

I will take some pictures this weekend. I can fit rods on the deck on my Champion 21SX. A 6'6" is probably the max I can fit under the rod straps normally, but I leave 7ft + rods on the deck too. I usually just hang them more over the front.

I have seen some guys lay them straight and have them hang into the cockpit a bit.

3. Member
    Here is a photo of my Viper Coral 202 showing 7 ft. rods on the deck. I removed the gunnel and console pads from the front deck, giving an additional 3 inch length and 6 inch width to the front deck. Rods on Deck.JPG
    2000 Viper Coral 202
    2013 Pro XS 200

4. Member
    Rod saver velcro straps. solid and can hold quite a bit.

mine's a little squished in the the pic as you can see as I just set them in place quick for the picture. I would have to move my strap over a few inches so its no longer in the path of my bow sonar mount but yea works well never had any issues while under way 50+mph though the rod gloves can catch the wind at those speeds and can cause your rod to flex.

2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209

5. Member
    I actually face my rods opposite from the picture shown and have the rod tips, hang slightly off the boat to avoid the windshield, works pretty good for me.
    2019 Nitro Z19 Sport with 150 Four stroke
    Swinging bass in the front
    and wake boards and tubes off the back

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassmastermatt View Post
    I actually face my rods opposite from the picture shown and have the rod tips, hang slightly off the boat to avoid the windshield, works pretty good for me.
    Not a bad idea. i'd still have to re align my rod saver straps for that to work but yea. Im looking at other options on how to secure my rods down as the 1 strap is nice but its not overly meant for that many rods. Not to mention when i Fish with friends on my 18.5ft F&S and they bring 4+ rods each.. things get messy real fast.
    2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209

7. Member
    I put 3 to 4 rods on each side and stand in the middle, gets a little tight on my Nitro, but works well for me.

8. Member
    Yeah I try to avoid putting ANYTHING on the same side of my ultrex. I've heard some horror stories of people forgetting to move rods out of the way as it comes down lol. not to mention I have the 54" shaft ultrex which is massive for this boat. but its all that was left in stock and am I ever glad I didnt wait to try and get a 45" shaft cause those practically dont exist right now lol

9. Member
    I really don't like my tips resting on the side of the boat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

10. Member
    thats a solid idea! though im always a little hesitant on doing new holes in my boat. heck I have a hard time convincing myself to add Transducers to the hull lol

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Rod View Post
    I really don't like my tips resting on the side of the boat.
    This is a GREAT idea. I have mint condition pads and I don't want to cut them, plus my deck is pretty large. Really cool though!

12. Member
    Cutting down the shaft, as long as you are careful is pretty easy. I brought mine in to a authorized service place for this to be done as I didn't want to void the warranty, they F'd it all up and I needed to fix it. So I guess I should have done it myself.

13. Member
    Most of my rods are 10-16’ft long for crappie fishing,,,the only rod holder for me is the Millenium,,,holds rod off the side of boat out of the way of passengers or walking around the deck,,,,and it works well with the windshield if you mount it correctly,,,they also fold down for easy after your done fishing and rods put away,,,cover your boat with no interference
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Takeum; 08-17-2021 at 07:28 PM.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Takeum View Post
    Most of my rods are 10-16’ft long for crappie fishing,,,the only rod holder for me is the Millenium,,,holds rod off the side of boat out of the way of passengers or walking around the deck,,,,and it works well with the windshield if you mount it correctly,,,they also fold down for easy after your done fishing and rods put away,,,cover your boat with no interference
    Got any pics with your set up? definitely got my attention with those!