Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tracker 195 TXW vs. Ranger RT188

Looking for a new boat and think I have it down to these two. The Tracker is 1 yr old and used...but unused by the original owner. I may be able to transfer the warranty for $200 but the boat is on consignment and the think the consignment dealer may count as the second owner. Tracker has a 12V Terrova and a Lorance 5" FF, Vinyl floors throughout which I like and a ProXS 150 Merc. 34K OTD. Basically the cost of a new one.

The RT188 is new so new warranty, I am getting the 9" UHD Garmin and the 6" Garmin along with an 24V Ultrex TM. Has Merc ProXS 115 and the boat has the pad hull of a 188P. The 195 is about a foot longer and has a large bow casting deck.

When inspecting, the tracker welds did look suspect or sloppy and I found about 5 pinholes in the welds. The welds on the RT188 looked good. Also, the 188 has the boarding ladder and pop up cleats.

The price OTD on the 188 is 38K. Prices are rediculous!!! I think I am better off with spending the extra 4K for the Ranger. What do you all think??

Trailers are the same.

Thanks
    Greg
    USN Ret

2. Member
    My Ranger cracked threads in the tin boats section. May be worth a read to you.

3. Member
    I owned a tracker 195, and it was a pretty low quality boat to be honest. Vinyl flooring starts peeling almost immediately, and that 12v trolling motor is way undersized. I’d lean towards the ranger, but at those prices I’d rather look at used fiberglass rigs.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

4. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    The difference between a 115 and a 150 is pretty huge on a tin! I’d get the Tracker and upgrade the trolling motor and electronics.

Then again, I’ve had a tin for almost 3 years now and I can’t wait to go back to a glass boat! I’m tired of being so weight sensitive, blowing around like a sailboat and just being slow! None of those things help in a tournament! But for what I originally got my boat for, fishing smaller lakes, it’s perfect.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

5. Member
    Can't add much to what's been said above, but, the Ultrex (or something comparable) is going to set you back $2.5k +.....graphs.....etc. That'll eat up your $4k, or most of it.

Honestly, it all depends upon your mission, etc. I looked hard to find a tournament class Al boat (I'd classify mine as "semi-tournament class" nowadays) to rebuild like I wanted it. That was my mission and it's turned out A-ok.....and I saved over $20k+. I'd really think about your primary use and go from there. (Or maybe you've long ago done just that)

I would think the tracker will give you a better ride in the chop, if you fish areas prone to chop. All depends on your fishing style? As stated above you can always upgrade the tracker with better FF and trolling motor.
    Now that I am older and have taken a un-wanted swim in the winter, a boarding ladder is a must on my boats.
    My Ranger has some crappy looking welds too.
    What boat do you feel comfortable in? That's the one I would get.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

'The price OTD on the 188 is 38K. Prices are rediculous!!! I think I am better off with spending the extra 4K for the Ranger. What do you all think?'

For that Price your better off buying a Vexus 1880.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic Bob View Post
    I would think the tracker will give you a better ride in the chop, if you fish areas prone to chop. All depends on your fishing style? As stated above you can always upgrade the tracker with better FF and trolling motor.
    Now that I am older and have taken a un-wanted swim in the winter, a boarding ladder is a must on my boats.
    My Ranger has some crappy looking welds too.
    What boat do you feel comfortable in? That's the one I would get.
    I wouldn’t guarantee a better ride on the 195, mine was pretty bad with that hull style.

9. Member
    The only thing I see as a possible advantage on the Tracker is the 150 HP as opposed to a 115. The overall quality on the Ranger is superior, it appears to be much better equipped, and resale value on Trackers is lousy. This would be a no-brainer for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    I wouldn’t guarantee a better ride on the 195, mine was pretty bad with that hull style.
    That surprises me as I would have thought the Vee on the 195 would cut through the waves better?
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AB7R View Post
    Looking for a new boat and think I have it down to these two. The Tracker is 1 yr old and used...but unused by the original owner. I may be able to transfer the warranty for $200 but the boat is on consignment and the think the consignment dealer may count as the second owner. Tracker has a 12V Terrova and a Lorance 5" FF, Vinyl floors throughout which I like and a ProXS 150 Merc. 34K OTD. Basically the cost of a new one.

The RT188 is new so new warranty, I am getting the 9" UHD Garmin and the 6" Garmin along with an 24V Ultrex TM. Has Merc ProXS 115 and the boat has the pad hull of a 188P. The 195 is about a foot longer and has a large bow casting deck.

When inspecting, the tracker welds did look suspect or sloppy and I found about 5 pinholes in the welds. The welds on the RT188 looked good. Also, the 188 has the boarding ladder and pop up cleats.

The price OTD on the 188 is 38K. Prices are rediculous!!! I think I am better off with spending the extra 4K for the Ranger. What do you all think??

Trailers are the same.

Thanks
    Greg
    USN Ret
    Where did you get that the 195 is a foot longer? the 195 is 18'7" vs 18'10" for a new 188p...i'd stick with Ranger

12. Member
    vexus or Avid look at them
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

13. Member
    Neither.
    That 34k price tag is crazy.
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS

14. Member
    Tracker 195 with the 150hp is what I would get. Its too bad you can't get an RT188 with a 150hp, It would be a great boat If you could.

15. Banned
    Honestly it's a wash the tracker has the motor the ranger has the electronics and trolling motor. Yes the vinyl in the trackers is notorious for coming up. Good thing is some contact cement will fix that easily. You will easily spend close to that 4k upgrading trolling motor and graphs on the tracker to what is on the ranger. The ranger is max 115 hp. Should be about a 10 mph difference between the boats. I think I would buy the tracker save the 4k and then buy used graphs from a guy that feels that he has to buy new graphs every year or two to be able to catch a little green fish and save a shit load of money off the cost of new.

You could also get the 18' vexus with basic electronics and trolling motor for pretty much the same price range. Even the 19 footer is going to be right there and that is with a 150

16. Member
    Buddy, for that price I would not buy either one...
    I would not spend that on an aluminum boat. What size lakes do you fish?? I would look and look and look until I found the right deal on a used boat....maybe a 17-18 footer and maybe glass.

I promise that with some patience you can find a used Ranger or Basscat or some other good used but fairly new boat.

If it was older even...and had a two stroke on it....if the boat is perfect, buy it. For what you are spending, you could replace the motor and have a better rig and a new motor warranty.

If those were the only two boats in the world and I had to buy one --' I would buy the Ranger. I have had problems with wood in boats and so have friends. The Tracker had wood in it and t h e Ranger does not. Having wood decks or any wood at all is a deal breaker for me.

Also, before buying the Tracker if you decide on it...take it o n the water. The Tracker sits with the nose of the boat way way way high up in the water...it is also tippy from side to side. The Ranger sits level. You will spend 95% of your time on that front deck.

And thank you for your Navy service to our country.
    Last edited by FloridaFlyer; 07-08-2021 at 10:20 AM.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

17. Banned
    The wood debate has been beat to death. I have a 20 year old tracker with solid original decks. My buddy has one that is almost 30 years old with solid original decks. His is kept outside just with canvas cover mine is garage kept. Take care of the boat it will take care of you plain and simple

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    My Polarkraft TX195 Pro has a hull VERY similar to the Tracker Revolution Hull that's on the Tracker 195, and it handles rougher water GREAT!!! ( I run Lake Erie!)
    below is a picture off the web of the Polarkraft 195 hull from bow. Notice the deeper deadrise in the bow. Cuts through 3 ft'ers like my fiberglass Champion I owned! i owned an Xpress, and they are not good in rougher water!

pk.jpg

19. Member
    That surprises me as I would have thought the Vee on the 195 would cut through the waves better?
    Any kind of rough water and you are basically idling. The design just doesn’t do well in rough water.

20. Banned

it does!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast