Thread: Humor me

Humor me

I posted asking about a ski pylon. Yes, many of you frown on that with a bass boat but in order to get this boat I compromised and my family will be involved which is awesome to see them participate in the tubing and the fishing.

So, I really don't want to put a pylon on the boat. Looking at options I think the most simple and best thing to keep the rope out of the wake would be to add two more D rings just above the rub rail on the transom on both sides of the motor to hook the tow rope to.

Thoughts? I did check the lower D rings which work for towing but are too low and the fiberglass does not appear to be any thicker or different. Those are simply just drilled and bolted. Should work the same for this too, correct?
    Triton 180DC---150hp Yamaha Vmax HPDI---Bobs 6" Hydro Plate---24 Tempest Plus---Ultrex---Lowrance Carbons

2. Member
    I've seen people pull tubes like that before. I wouldn't be concerned about it unless you were planning on pulling a tube every time you took it out lol.
    '13 Triton 19SE 225 Pro XS
    '09 Chevy Silverado Z71

3. Member
    AIRHEAD HD Tow Harness, Yellow/Red, 12 ft..
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

4. Member
    It’s been MANY MANY years since I have been skiing. If I remember correctly, we just ran a rope through a couple of pool noodles then attached the rope to the transom hold downs. The noodles kept the rope from sinking and getting into the prop.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike2718 View Post
    It’s been MANY MANY years since I have been skiing. If I remember correctly, we just ran a rope through a couple of pool noodles then attached the rope to the transom hold downs. The noodles kept the rope from sinking and getting into the prop.
    That's a good idea. I'm more concerned with the role catching in the world and while pulling the tube. I have one of the ropes with an inflatable mid way back to keep it up but that thing is a pain.

Just looking for a simple way to fix that like I suggested in my original post.
    Triton 180DC---150hp Yamaha Vmax HPDI---Bobs 6" Hydro Plate---24 Tempest Plus---Ultrex---Lowrance Carbons

6. Member
    The D rings on the transom are mounted through the transom board which may be the strongest part of your boat. The top cap area you mention is not reinforced and I personally wouldn’t recommend mounting a tow ring to that area.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bware View Post
    The D rings on the transom are mounted through the transom board which may be the strongest part of your boat. The top cap area you mention is not reinforced and I personally wouldn’t recommend mounting a tow ring to that area.
    Thank you, that's the exact info I was looking for. The other option is the turboswing but right now they are not available and expensive.

https://turboswing.com/?msclkid=be76...ent=TurboSwing

8. Member
    I'd just ti to the transom eye & let her roll. Like said you could put some pool noodles on that end of the rope. You're not going to hurt the boat pulling a tube or skiing. You may want a prop with less pitch for power & hole shot when skiing though.

9. Member
    I have one that goes in the rear seat post and has two bars that come off the back and attach in the splashwell. I've never used it but it came with the boat when I bought it as well as some tubes and stuff. Guy I bought it from said he used it all the time with no problem. It's just like this one...

https://barts.com/bass-boat-pylonw40...yABEgKAvvD_BwE

10. Member
    On the coast, when they winter boats without trailers, they hook to those transom d rings and lift the boat out of the water. Pulling someone from them will not hurt a thing.
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS

11. Member
    Get you a air head demon harness with a float ball on the tow rope. That's what I use. The harness attached to the transom D rings but has a swivel in the middle of the harness so it shares the load of the tube and passengers at all times, especially when you get the tube and rider sizzling out to the side on good hard whipped turns..
    Ranger 205dvs 225opti

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrh_67 View Post
    I have one that goes in the rear seat post and has two bars that come off the back and attach in the splashwell. I've never used it but it came with the boat when I bought it as well as some tubes and stuff. Guy I bought it from said he used it all the time with no problem. It's just like this one...

Do you have a pic of where the anchor points are for the support poles? This is the only other option I can think of to keep the rope from dragging in the wake.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrh_67 View Post

I've seen lots of these on bass boats.

14. Member
    Might want to have some form of hydrofoil on the motor to enable you to plane at a lower speed...depends on the tuber...real young kids like it slow till they get used to it.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

15. Member
    About 4 decades ago, (geez, I'm old) I would just tie my tow rope directly to the transom D-ring (it's rock solid). I ski'd and tubed quiet often and never got the rope wrapped in the prop, it can happen but not likely if your careful.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chatabass View Post
    About 4 decades ago, (geez, I'm old) I would just tie my tow rope directly to the transom D-ring (it's rock solid). I ski'd and tubed quiet often and never got the rope wrapped in the prop, it can happen but not likely if your careful.
    Ya, not worried about that.y issue is the rope is too low on the D ring and gets caught in the wake when the tube whips back and forth.