Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

how do you judge a fishing season?

Living in NE Iowa, my fishing season is about half over at this point in the year. I just got back from a multi-day trip to the Mississippi River and fishing (at least for me) was horrible. In fact, other than the very first day I was on the water this year, when I caught my PB largemouth, the entire fishing season so far has been pretty bad. Water is low around here and a couple of the lakes I enjoy fishing are so low I can't even put my boat in. The lakes I have fished haven't produced much for numbers or size. It got me to thinking about how I should judge the season so far. On one hand, I beat my PB which had stood for the last 12 years. On the other hand, all the other times I've been out have been disappointing. I don't tournament fish, so that doesn't factor in for me. How do you guys determine whether you consider a season successful or not?

2. Member
    Beats working

3. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    did I have fun....
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    If you have the opportunity to go fishing but just don't feel like it, due to recent fishing success being poor, then I'd say it has been a poor season. I've certainly been in that position.

I judge fishing by each day.

The days I fish are enjoyed days, if they weren’t I wouldn’t be fishing.

With that said—— yesterday I lost the biggest bass I have caught in a long time just as I was trying to lip it. Just makes me want to go find her again.

6. Member
    At 71 and years of fishing only one thing maters: DID I HAVE FUN !!!!!
    Agree with earlier Quote

Did I have fun, and did I learn something new.
    '05 Stratos 200 ProXL, '05 Evinrude 225HO

8. Member
    Mixed results for me.
    5 tournaments, two 4th's and one 7th in Fishers of Men trail.
    9 total days fishing, I would say pretty good, Four 4's, one in tourney, two 5's, one in tourney, and two 6's. Decent year for good ones but none over 8, yet.

I think you have to evaluate each year on its own merits, as things change. I'm 68 and still enjoy tournament fishing and going fast. (Stroker 300XS)

Fun fishing wise I judge solely on how much fun I had.

Tournament wise it's usually where we/I end up in AOY points for that trail and cashing checks. This year is an outlier though in that we finished 15th out of over 400 teams that fished the Bass Champs division we fish. Realistically maybe 200-225 teams fished all 4 events. Looking back it feels like we struggled a lot more than we expected to and quite honestly figured we would be farther down in point as well. We righted the ship the last two events.
    On one hand it's a good feeling to end up 15th against the strong competition that fishes Champs but on the other hand it shows we have a lot more work to do to get better.
    Last edited by Mark Perry; 07-07-2021 at 12:19 PM.

10. Member
    Did I enjoy the day and the season?

11. Member
    Any time I go fishing it's fun, whether I catch anything or not. Sure it's better when I'm loading the boat, but still, I'm on the boat doing something I enjoy even if I'm not catching anything. So, if I go fishing then I've had a good season.
    2000 Ranger R83
    2000 Evinrude Ficht 150
    MG Trolling Motor
    Garmin ECHOMAP 63cv, Garmin Striker 7 (helm)
    Garmin ECHOMAP 93sv, ECHOMAP 73sv (bow)

"I've got the boat, the rods and reels, the lures . . . now if I could only catch some fish."

"Fun" fishing in Ohio is just about an oxymoron! My FUN fishing is at our cabin on Georgian Bay. So, I haven't fun fished in 1 1/2 years. So, my only criteria locally is how many checks we cash in tournaments and where we finish in season points standings. So far, this season has been a roller coaster. Several HORRIBLE tournament finishes in the first few months, then a major win two weeks ago. We'll see how it goes from here.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

I judge mine in what did I learn, Don't care how good you are or how good you think you are, when you stop the quest to learn its time to stop. I love to mess around and try things, old things, new things, do things that Someone would say I would not fish like that...... experiment. The quest is not always catch, but to try something different. A Tinker some may say!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KYRANGERMAN View Post
    Any time I go fishing it's fun, whether I catch anything or not. Sure it's better when I'm loading the boat, but still, I'm on the boat doing something I enjoy even if I'm not catching anything. So, if I go fishing then I've had a good season.
    X2

15. Member
    Did I break a rod or lose one overboard. Did I get a hook in me or did something on boat or truck break. If not it was a good day.

16. Member
    Did I enjoy myself? Pretty much just getting on the water and fishing numerous times a year I consider it successful.

17. Moderator
    Fun level.

18. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    If I got to take my boat to the lake and spend a few hours in it fishing as a recreational activity, then I'm more fortunate than probably 99% of the folks on this big blue marble... I'd say that's a pretty good day (or season).

It's all about perspective.
    Who controls John Gill?

Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    I judge mine in what did I learn, Don't care how good you are or how good you think you are, when you stop the quest to learn its time to stop. I love to mess around and try things, old things, new things, do things that Someone would say I would not fish like that...... experiment. The quest is not always catch, but to try something different. A Tinker some may say!
    Good points Jeff. In fact I'm kind of stuck in a rut right now so I will be taking your advice and try something different that I normally wouldn't do.

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle24 View Post
    Good points Jeff. In fact I'm kind of stuck in a rut right now so I will be taking your advice and try something different that I normally wouldn't do.

you go to the same lakes, and lets face it you observe others...... I see the same guys on the same spots throwing the same thing........ I often wonder when they see me, out doing off the wall shit...... dude must not have a clue....... Some of it pays off......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast