Dobyns guide wraps

I have changed over to Dobyns Champion XP rods over the past couple of years. I am very happy with them. I have had 3 instances now of one of the smaller line guides (the single foot ones) coming out of its wrapping. They come out clean and can be pushed back into the wrap. I have rarely had this kind of problem with another brand over many years. All of the rods have been throwing braid to flouro with an FG knot. I believe even still that the knot coming through the guides is causing the issue.

I'm not complaining, just wondering if any one else here has had this problem with Dobyns.

thanks
    BCB Puma STS
    Merc 250

2. Member
    That’s kinda unacceptable for any rod regardless of price. It sounds as if the guides were wrapped without much tension and the epoxy didn’t set right. As much as I think people vastly abuse rod warranties, this one would be a good reason to call them up and asking for a replacement.

any rod builder, beginner or expert, can replace that guide with minimal effort. You could even do it yourself too I’m about 20min if you don’t mind trying and doing a bit of research. I’d go that route if they don’t ask for the rod back.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    Yes I have had the same exact issue with Champion Xp.

I've been using Dobyns for quite some time and never experienced this problem, but I'm not saying that it could not happen. If I were you, I would call Dobyns and explain this situation to them directly.

5. Member
    I appreciate the responses. I'm not going to contact Dobyns, because I don't think it would serve any purpose. Easier to have the guides redone here than to ship rods halfway across the country. I just ordered some syringes from Amazon. I'm hoping I can fix this with epoxy injected into the open cavity, and then push the guide back in.

I'll post about it once I have tried this.
    BCB Puma STS
    Merc 250

6. Member
    Just wanted to report back that I ordered syringes from Amazon that worked perfectly to inject epoxy into the open cavities in the wraps. These left almost no overrun once the guides were pushed back in. I used the rods this weekend and the guides are holding well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

dh
    BCB Puma STS
    Merc 250

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rgbtr196le View Post
    I've been using Dobyns for quite some time and never experienced this problem, but I'm not saying that it could not happen. If I were you, I would call Dobyns and explain this situation to them directly.
    Sorry to say but they'll probably fall back out. I fix a good number of Dobyns that have had guides come out so it's pretty common. A lot of companies could avoid this by doing a simple locking wrap. St. Croix are also notorious for this among others.

9. Member
    got a XP with the same problem

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    Sorry to say but they'll probably fall back out. I fix a good number of Dobyns that have had guides come out so it's pretty common. A lot of companies could avoid this by doing a simple locking wrap. St. Croix are also notorious for this among others.
    this.. give it time and it’ll fall out again. That’s why I suggested to have it done by a builder or learn to wrap guides yourself. I’ve never had an issue with St Croix or heard about guides falling out of the wraps but I’ve heard Dobyns is known for this.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp