Vermilion smallmouth

I’m going to Vermilion next week I want to try to catch some smallmouth bass. I’ve never fished for smallmouth before. I will be on south east end of the lake. Any tips are very appreciated. Thanks
    2002 Triton TR 21 225 ox66 Vmax

A friend just got back and the reports are rough for bass, walleye and muskie. Other than that report from late last week I can't help. They Had a guide and that guides coworkers were all a bit discouraged.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Member
    not sure what brand of units you run on your rig but if its humminbird a smartstrike card can help get you started in identifying spots. If smartstrike isn't an option then fish any rocky points, reefs etc. The east end of the lake has a ton of rock to fish. As you work west you run into the islands which are money, the mid lake starts to transition to weed and finally the west end is mostly weed and you'll run into more largemouth than smallomouth. At least thats been my experience up there.

I actually have a smart strike card. And will use it. What would suggest for lures? I was thinking tubes and maybe swim baits. I know there’s so many different lures to use but I’m new to smallmouth fishing.
    2002 Triton TR 21 225 ox66 Vmax

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisJensen View Post
    I actually have a smart strike card. And will use it. What would suggest for lures? I was thinking tubes and maybe swim baits. I know there’s so many different lures to use but I’m new to smallmouth fishing.
    Small swim baits and crankbaits to cover water and locate active fish. Drop shot, Ned, neko rigs, football jigs once you have an idea of a depth or productive areas always works for me. Pay attention to what and where every time you get a fish, small mouth can typically be in the same type of stuff any where you can duplicate it on the lake.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

6. Member
    My favorite bait of late for smallies has been a Ned rig with the Zman green watermelon and orange.
    I got some instantaneous bites and some savage hits on it yesterday in a river.
    I used it on Bull Shoals last spring and it was the clear winner.
    The orange seems to fire them up.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XingEyeballs View Post
    Small swim baits and crankbaits to cover water and locate active fish. Drop shot, Ned, neko rigs, football jigs once you have an idea of a depth or productive areas always works for me. Pay attention to what and where every time you get a fish, small mouth can typically be in the same type of stuff any where you can duplicate it on the lake.
    That's pretty much what i'd do as well. A long cast from the bank swimming a natural colored grub or a small gold FatRap...cover water to find areas with fish. Generally caught plenty of smallies and walleyes. It's a big lake, and a lot of dead water. I don't have a lot of experience up there...I ain't a "smallie guy"!

If you like dock fishing it can be productive. Lots of crib docks up der by golly.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

9. Member
    It's 18-24 inches low - the mayfly hatch was enormous this year - I've spent 5 days in the last 2 weeks up there and not caught a 3lb smallie yet.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

10. Member
    How is the bite typically, late September, or first weekend in October? I just booked a camper cabin at the State Park in early fall with my Dad and hoping the smallies will be biting. I know it is weather dependent etc. I haven't been up to Vermilion ever, as there are so many other options in MN.
    2019 Nitro Z19 Sport with 150 Four stroke
    Swinging bass in the front
    and wake boards and tubes off the back

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    If you like dock fishing it can be productive. Lots of crib docks up der by golly.
    It's funny you mention that. My friend and I used to go up there every summer to visit his grandparents...who lived on Daisy Bay. We found one dock north of the Moccasin Point Marina that was a guaranteed limit of walleyes. Every day, in the afternoon, it would be a limit in 20 minutes. And it was like that the several years we went there together. I don't know why, but they were always there. Skip a Kalins grub under it, and you got bit. It was great!

12. Member
    Buddy of mine did really well dock fishing last year. It’s a beautiful lake. Enjoy your stay