06 Yamaha 150 Vmax HPDI smoking excessively at idle and low speeds! Plse Help!

2006 Yamaha 150 vmax HPDI VZ150TLR

when idling or low speeds it smokes like crazy. If I get on plane it or speed up it stops. I have removed the plugs and replaced them but they foul quickly and have an oily residue to them. It appears to have oil collected at the bottom of the intake silencer box, with several drops of oil on the bottom of the cowling in the front of the engine. The linkage rod to the oil injector appears to be fine, but there seems to be a slight bit of oil on the oil injector assembly. I am unsure where to start any information would be greatly appreciated. It never smoked like this before and I want to resolve the issue myself if possible. Thanks in advance!
    I 2006 Yamaha 150 vmax HPDI VZ150TLR

when idling or low speeds it smokes like crazy. If I get on plane it or speed up it stops. I have removed the plugs and replaced them but they foul quickly and have an oily residue to them. It appears to have oil collected at the bottom of the intake silencer box, with several drops of oil on the bottom of the cowling in the front of the engine. The linkage rod to the oil injector appears to be fine, but there seems to be a slight bit of oil on the oil injector assembly. I am unsure where to start any information would be greatly appreciated. It never smoked like this before and I want to resolve the issue myself if possible. Thanks in advance!

2. Member
    Sorry for the double post just caught it

3. Member
    Had injectors serviced? I just had 2 that were rich

4. Member
    No I have not had them serviced, thank you for the info. Do you know what is the best way to service them? Just clean or get new ones completely?

5. Member
    No I have not had them serviced, thank you for the info. Do you know what is the best way to service them? Just clean or get new ones completely?

6. Member
    Not sure on your side of the world but a few places I've seen recommended was Hydrotech which closer then the place I used in Carolina(brucato). Roughly 150$ set then was additional cost to calibrate if to rich along with doing the small filter inside them. The dang gaskets 2 per each injector cost you over $100. I noticed a difference in torque/holeshot but haven't really got to open it up. I had small extra smoke at idle but nothing major just did then as the routine maintenance.

7. Member
    I had a similar situation with my 2007 V150TLR. In the end, the oil level sensor on top of the oil tank under the cowling was not working correctly. This caused it to overfill and dump oil into the air silencer box (there is a tube from the tank to the box) which caused smoking at idle and low speed. I also had oil inside the cowling leaking from the air intake silencer. I replaced the oil level sensor on top of the oil tank under the cowling and the problem was resolved.

Have you checked the oil pump setting? The plastic connector is known to crack and would cause the oil setting towards the rich side.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!