J90PLSSE Flywheel issues

I didn't catch any fish today and then this happened... 2000 johnson 90 running perfect up until it didn't. Made a noise, (not a good one) and then wouldn't start. The only good thing today was finding the father and son that towed me back to the ramp. Got home and removed engine cover to find timing cover cracked most of the way around. Got that cover off to find all the flywheel bolts broken and the flywheel lifts off without a puller. I'm using a easy out, and the broken bolts are coming out ok. My question is- is this as simple as reinstalling the flywheel with new bolts and replace the cracked cover? Is there someone who has had a similar situation and it was caused by some bigger underlying problem? The other issue is the gear ring on the fw has also come off. I'm guessing it frictions on, maybe after warming it on a hotplate or something? Thanks in advance!

2. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Does the motor rotate freely by hand and no noises?

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

3. Member
    Yes, engine turns freely, pulled the plugs to check. It didn't seem to at first but it was the flywheel not really on and rubbing. Unfortunately I've hit a bit of a snag, broke a easy out off in hole number 2. The first one I did was the very shallow one, it came out very easy, and I thought this was going to be easy....

4. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    20 minute jobs always turn into 2 week nightmares...

5. Member
    Has anyone dealt with the gear on the flywheel coming off? Am I right in thinking to warm it to reinstall?

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I'm guessing you pried the flywheel out of the pocket and pulled off the ring gear?

7. Member
    I found the ring gear already loose when I removed the timing cover. Would have used a puller if needed but flywheel just lifted out due to five broken bolts. Looks like it would be hard to knock the ring off by prying up; the flywheel gets bigger towards the top...
    Last edited by rrenner; 07-11-2021 at 12:43 PM.

8. Member
    I got the broken bolt extractor out and removed the bolt remains. Only four more to go. The only easy outs I had were cheap Chinese, am waiting on some hanson (USA) extractors. In the mean time have been soaking in PB blaster. Does anybody know if it has any effect on Loctite?

9. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rrenner View Post
    I got the broken bolt extractor out and removed the bolt remains. Only four more to go. The only easy outs I had were cheap Chinese, am waiting on some hanson (USA) extractors. In the mean time have been soaking in PB blaster. Does anybody know if it has any effect on Loctite?
    Heat is your friend on loctite. Most chemicals wont budge it.

10. Member
    Am ordering parts to reinstall the flywheel, Marine engine.com wants 8.50 each for what appears to be a 5/16'' grade8 bolt (it takes 5 of them). Could I not use grade8 bolts?

11. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Use the OEM BRP/OMC.