Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Questions related to Tinnitus and Hearing loss claim

All,

I have documented Tinnitus and hearing loss that is very likely service related (years spent with my head in the exhaust of F-14 engines). I have an appointment coming up next week to have these issues documented by a local physician. Currently, they're only documented by the Health Services department of my company. The Tinnitus is moderate to severe (but constant...24/7) and my hearing is basically gone between about 4K and 7K Hz.

My question is this: Is there a specific form I should take with me or a specific test I should ask for? And, once the results are documented, how do I go about filing a claim with the VA?

Thanks for the guidance.

2. Member
    Just make sure whoever does the test on your hearing does it by the VA standards! I have been fighting the VA since 1996 over my hearing loss and EVEN though they said I need hearing aids, I'm still rated O% for hearing loss. I hope you have better luck than me. Was a Jet Engine Technician for 22 years on the flightline as well.

Will do sir...Thank You.

4. Member
    But, your tinnitus claim SHOULD be a slam DUNK!

Believe it or not, but a 0% IS a rating. No Service Connection is what you don't want to hear. A zero can move up. Tinnitus is 10%, and would equate to about $118 I think...have to look it up. If you've never filed with the VA before you'll need to see a VSO as soon as possible. Bring your DD 214, and med records, and any military documentation you can scrounge up.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

6. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

7. Member
    I get the 10% in a monthly check: $144.14

Thanks. Been awhile since I've looked up the ratings. Plus there's other factors, that sometimes play into the compensation amount. Married, kids, college aged kids, aid and attendance, etc.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

When I filed my claim I went through our county VA office. They have an ombudsman who steps you through the process (Michigan). I had to get a hearing test to file with the paperwork demonstrating that I had hearing loss. You can get a free test from any Sams Club or other hearing aid supplier. The VA then scheduled a hearing test at the local VA clinic. They documented the hearing loss and sent it upstairs. Bottom line, in about 2 or 3 weeks after the in clinic hearing test they determined my hearing wasn't bad enough to qualify but they gave me 10% disability because I have tinnitis. Currently 144.00 a month as was mentioned above. And they furnished me with a set of top of the line hearing aids and all the supplies to go with them for life.
    The odd thing is that there is no test for tinnitis, its just your word.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

10. Member
    I did couple claims all at once last time I went. So if you have anything else you want documented, even if you do don't think it may be necessarily service related, have it all done the same day when you're there if you can. Some VA locations are better than others, but I think we can all agree that it's not fun to deal with them on multiple occasions if it can be avoided.

-Matt

I started by going to the Dallas VA hospital to get hearing aids due to poor hearing (I don't have Tinnitus) after a friend got his hearing aids from the VA. Went through the test. Was prescribed hearing aids (value $4000+ with no co-pay). The results were used by the admin to apply for my disability, and was approved - 20%. I had a similar situation, as I spent 4+ years on the flight line around a bunch of F-4's. 40% hearing loss in my right ear was documented on my separation physical in 1972. I didn't do anything about it, and then my left ear also had gotten bad also. It continued to get worse over the years, and after a lot of griping from the wife, finally went in 3 years ago.

I don't know if you are in Denton or Wichita, but there are VA Hospitals at either Dallas or Wichita. That's where I would start. I wish I had done it a lot sooner!

Good luck with your claim!
    Last edited by Texas Larry; 07-20-2021 at 07:15 AM.

12. Member
    10 per cent disability...

13. Member
    tinnitus is one of the easiest claims to win, the VA can't prove you don't have it, so really any service member can get it, Most generally hearing loss will be a 0percent because the VA will give you hearing aids and boom you can hear. that's the way they look at it. If you have service connection for tinnitus look at secondary issues, mental, depression, ect.

14. Member
    Call your local VA office or go online and discuss it with them. Any tests you take outside the VA network will most likely be redone by the VA anyway. There is specific paperwork to fill out for claims and any documents you still have from the Navy will help. They will want you to show them your exposure to determine if it is a natural hearing loss or perpetuated by flight line/deck noise levels.

15. Member
    I went though the texas va office in san angelo they got me 20% I only have 20% percent in left ear and 80 in right, flight line eng mech.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Carroll View Post
    tinnitus is one of the easiest claims to win, the VA can't prove you don't have it, so really any service member can get it, Most generally hearing loss will be a 0percent because the VA will give you hearing aids and boom you can hear. that's the way they look at it. If you have service connection for tinnitus look at secondary issues, mental, depression, ect.
    This right here. All truth. Tinnitus is seen as a presumed medical complication with your ears due to time in service. Especially when your MOS was one which involved being around heavy fire or machinery, which let's be honest, if you were in the military just about ALL of the MOS's expose you to either of that criteria.

If you claim tinnitus with the VA, nearly all of the time you will get maxed out for that (which is 10%).

I tested out fine when I made my claim but I got awarded max due to presumed tinnitus, and I really do suffer from it at random at any given moment so it works.
    - 2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL - SOLD
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    Vance 6" hydraulic jack plate
    24P 3 blade Ballistic XHS XL propeller
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    Garmin 126SV/93SV/73SV Livescope/ dual GT54 transducers
    DD26 motor toter
    IG: extremeboating

17. Member
    I flew with a head cold and made some bombing runs coming down from around 15,000'.
    I was a slow learner and did it a couple of time. Blood was running out of both ears upon
    landing. Upon retiring and going through the retirement physical I was sent back into the
    hearing booth 3 times and when finish the doc held the paper up to the light, test results
    look like carbon copy of each. Was told I would lose my hearing and got 0% disability, but
    hearing aids for life.

Rex1. Loss of hearing is different than tinnitus. You can be nearly deaf and be awarded 0% because the hearing aids they've issued you fixed your hearing. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but that's the issue. Now if you have significant hearing loss even with the hearing aids...that's a different story.
    2016 Nitro Z21

19. Member
    I am in the process of filing a claim for tinnitus, I have an appointment Aug 27 for a hearing test and whatever else they do to confirm. I've had a constant 24/7 ringing in my ears (2 separate tones) that I always thought was normal. After talking to Army buddies is when I realized it's not "normal".
    2000 Ranger 518vx - 2019 Mercury Pro xs 200

I filed quite a while ago and still trying to get my exam through QTC Medical. They keep trying to send me 150 miles away while my wife also has service related Tinnitus and had her exam 20 miles from our home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast