Thread: Winding checks

Banned

Winding checks

Is there a way to figure out winding check sizes without having the blank in hand? I'm going to be having a rod built on a NFC xray sj736 blank. Split grips. I called NFC and the guy a spoke with sound irritated that I was trying to get all the information I could before ordering to prevent placing multiple orders and getting hit with extra shipping costs. His attitude on the phone kind of rubbed me the wrong way to the point of rethinking spending a large amount of money with the company. (Sorry for the mini rant)

2. Member
    Other than buying a few different sizes not really.

3. Member
    You are likely placing multiple orders any way. 1 from NFC, 1 for other parts. Why not wait to have the blank in hand. Nothing beats having a blank in hand as they vary a little from blank to blank.

4. Member
    I've had problems with that exact rod so I went with a rod geeks c4 blank, they list the diameters for every 2 inches on their web site. With the one's I've found are all in 1/2 mm, you can only get so close anyway.
    Roger Ross
    Piedmont Mo.
    Bass Cat / Yamaha

5. Member
    I always order my checks after I have the blanks, lots of variables, blank itself, handle placement, front grip or no front grip, all change the size needed. As for your blank, I like the SJ736 X-ray blanks I think you will enjoy the rod, I have built a few of these and the MB736 both are very nice and perform well.

6. Member
    It’s very hard for them to tell you what size you need and I don’t blame them for being short because that’s an almost impossible ask. You need to get the blank, layout the handle placement and then determine what size you need, otherwise if they don’t measure correctly they’ll have people crucifying them online.

I too think you’ll like the SJ736. I just built on one and it feels like a MH rod with fast tip. I’m glad I didn’t buy a MB736, I think that would’ve been too flexible almost equivalent to a chatterbait or spinnerbait rod
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

7. Banned
    Awesome thanks guys. This is a whole new world for me. I like to build and diy as much of my own stuff as possible. Figure testing the waters of rod building is the next step. A buddy of mine is into rod building a little bit so he is going to help me along the way