1997 Champion Elite 202, Wiring

Good morning all, I am in the middle of troubleshooting my livewell pumps. Neither the aerator nor the hydro air pumps are working, Switches light up, also does do a weird clicking and light flashing from time to time from the livewell timer.

Does the timer only control the Hyrdo air pump or both?

I have yet to remove the batteries to check the pumps themselves.

Just curious if anyone has a schematic for an elite? I have an owners manual in PDF but cannot read a single word on the schematic portion.IMG_3923.jpg

Check the breakers first they tend to go bad.

3. Member
    Thank you, I checked voltage through the breaker, full battery voltage in and out. Voltage does not seem to be intermittent through it.
    2006 Ranger Z-20
    2006 Mercury Optimax ProXS 225

Next, probably time to bilge dive. Pumps maybe froze up?
    Voltage to switch, but you checked voltage leaving switch i assume?
    cant recall if breaker feeds switch or vice versa

5. Member
    Yes, Voltage out of switch to both pumps in the "manual" postition. In the "auto" position they have voltage going to the timer board. No voltage out of the timer board, so I know I need to replace that at a minumium to get that circuit working. I am also thinking an issue dirrectly relating to the pumps themselves is why they wont work in either manual or auto.
    2006 Ranger Z-20

6. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    The manual position bypasses the timer and switches power straight to the pump. So, sounds like you may need to move the troubleshooting to the pump.

On a separate note there should be an orange wire that has 12v from the main power switch going to the timer. There is also a black wire going to ground. A brown wire going to the pump. So if you see power come and go on the brown wire from the timer, it's OK.

7. Member
    Looks to me like it is the pumps, I figured out the clicking of the timer relay. With the power switch on and hydro pump in the manual or auto position the relay clicks on and off. Also, the lights for the switches dim. Pretty sure the hydro pump is either shorted or bound up causing a large voltage drop.

With hydro OFF and Aerate ON in the manual postion the relay does not click and lights do not dim, everything stays on like normal. In the auto position the timer turns the aerator power on and off like normal depending on the setting of the variable resisitor. Pretty sure this pump circuit is Open.

I'll be pulling batteries here soon.
    2006 Ranger Z-20

8. Member
    Confirmed my findings yesterday. Hydro pump was ceased up, aerate pump was OL. Ordered new cartridges last night and should be good to go.
    2006 Ranger Z-20

9. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swilkins614 View Post
    Confirmed my findings yesterday. Hydro pump was ceased up, aerate pump was OL. Ordered new cartridges last night and should be good to go.

Will be good to go!

11. Member
    Good news, I replaced the Hydro air pump, aerate pump, and manual bilge pump (as preventative maint). All systems are back on line and functioning normally.

Excuse the filthy bilge, I did not take the time yet to scrub it down.

Also the previous owner used scotch locks to wire in an auxilary auto/man bilge which no longer functioned. Got ride of that mess and installed a new Johnson cartridge style auto bilge.

Thanks for your input guys.
    IMG_4252.jpg
    2006 Ranger Z-20